Sat nav options

Tom Ruck

Reaction score
So i would like a screen in my b7. What option is best in your opinion an rsne or an aftermarket unit. I have double din unit atm. If i got an rsne which do i need and what should i look out for. I know i need the code or is useless. Opinions appreciated thanks

Are you looking to use it as an actual sat nav, or just a radio/music player. I use my RNS-E as a music player with the SD card slots, one of the CD drives (older 6 CD changer doesn't work with it) and an AUX input and it works a treat. As far as using it as a sat nav, I'm far better off using my phone. My phones maps are constantly up to date and are as snappy as a sat nav. I've yet to ever be steered in the wrong direction by my phone.

As far as using it as a Nav unit, it might not be the best option considering you'll need to update the maps when available, and as far as I know, the updates are not free (unlike a phone).

Ye the screen just updates the dash so much. Yeah i normally use my phone. Can i put my iphone music thriugh aux then with rsne?

Ye the screen just updates the dash so much. Yeah i normally use my phone. Can i put my iphone music thriugh aux then with rsne?
You'll need to get an AUX cable and have it coded. You'll need VCDS software to do it, or you can get a garage with it to do it or a mate with it or something. A user called NHN does retrofits of RNS-Es and could probably code in the AUX cable too. If you're in the UK, it might be worth having him/her install and code the RNS-E if you do decide to get one and aren't sure how to install it.

Also, depending on your current radio, you'l probably need an adapter. Is your radio a double slot (Symphony) or single clot (Concert)?

Here is the cable I got.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-RNS-E-...516807?hash=item3cf500eec7:g:pZkAAOSwZjJVAGOc

Here is a link to NHNs profile, in case you need to sent them a PM.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/members/nhn.30628/