1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat Nav/MMI differences before I buy a used A5

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by neilkaz, May 9, 2013.

1. neilkaz

neilkaz New Member

Hi, looking at selling my A3 very soon and getting an A5 3.0 Tdi sport or s-line probably around a 2008/2009 model. I understand the fantastic difference in the B&O sound system but I'm at a total loss when it comes to the difference in the Sat Nav and MMI options that were installed, the only difference i see when looking at cars for sale (online not up close) is the differing location of the twirly knob thingy (how about that for techy!) that you use to control the system, it seems to be on the dash behind the gear stick on some and in front of the gear stick on others.
    Is there a link anywhere to an explanation of the differing systems and there merits, pictures to see the physical differences and a guide to the best / worst setups would be fantastic.

thanks in advance
  2. s8craig

s8craig Active Member

at that year it will probably be an MMI 2G system with a 6 CD changer in the dash. In that case you may find it inferior to the RNS-E system in some ways, no split screen, no extra information on the screen.

If your lucky enough to get a car with MMI 3G high (HDD navigation, not DVD navigation) after 2009 then it will be far superior to the RNS-E system you have. MMI 3G High will have split screens, on screen junction information, excellent voice control, far superior access to your phone book via voice control.