Sat Nav installation service

• Thread starter imported_craigyjp
  • Start date
Rickquattro's A3 Tdi install done on Friday night + additional toaties....

Note the nice chrome strip finishing the job off...

rick1.jpg

rick2.jpg

rick2.jpg

Hi Craigyb

I have a B5 S4 with Full Bose Sat Nav, TV, PhatNoise and so on.... Is this an easy pull-out the current Nav-Plus system and put in the DVD-E system using the old parts like the Sat Nav receiver, TV receiver, Bose Amp and the Phat Noise connection, or do some of these need replacing, if so which ones.?

Do you have the parts to provide the same functions as above and how long would it take to install....?

Thanks

Hi, the upgrade you need is the RNS-E and TV tuner, everything else is compatible.

I have an A4 RNS-E and TV tuner in stock at the moment, last tuner I have left.

It's basically plug and play, but as you have an RNS-D in at the moment, I need to bypass the TMC module for your cluster to work correctly.

PM me for details or email me at c.barnes@ukonline.co.uk

Craig

Installation in to anA2, Symphony to RNS-E and BT telephone installation.

The lovely A2
hoff1.jpg

Hand cut to install into the A2
hoff3.jpg

The Telephone dialling screen
hoff4.jpg

The inbuilt microphone
hoff5.jpg

Craigyb,

Can you tell me if a new A3 without a CD changer has the wiring already in place for me to fit a Phatbox?

Thanks,

Roswell

Probably not, Audi seems to have stopped doing that now.

Where do you want to put the phatbox? boot or glovebox.

Kufatec sell the leads for either.

Craig

www.kufatec.de

What head unit do you have? I normally chop the end off the lead and put the pins on myself for the 20 pin connector for the HU. This is ideal for the glove box installation.

Kufatec sell glove box cd chnager leads for the RNS etc which will fit perfectly into the VW phatnoise supplied lead.

Haven't got the car yet........6 weeks or so to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it will be the Concert HU. So if I buy the VW Phatbox and chop the end off of the lead, I should be able to connect this to the HU??

With the correct pins yes, You need 9 pins for the connector, Kufatec sell them, I will try and order some more on my next order, I got 80 but have used most of them.

As long as you can solder and follow simple instructions, (no offence ) it is a piece of cake.

Craig

Service still available.....

A3, A4 and A6 units in stock £1000 fitted
Audi OEM BT kits for use with RNS-E £400 fitted
TV tuner upgrades for RNS-D to RNS-E £250
Dietz products 1417 & 1280 available
Media players (glove box or boot mount) from £300 (depends on disk) fitted
Phatboxes 20GB (glove box or boot mount) £280 fitted

Hi, do you offer the same service but for the concert HU, I know there is a lot more work but was wondering if it was something that you did and if you do how much it would cost.
Cheers.
Bye the way i have a 2005 1.8t A4 Cab

I also have a 1997 a4 quattro. Did anyone have any look installing the a6 / a4 satnav / tv uni that was on ebay? is it an easy job to instal? Mine has just the basic heater controls on the dash, no climate or air con so woul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifd this make it easier?

Here's a little project I did on Saturday for Ed and his B6 S4. Converted the dash from single to double din and upgraded the concert II to an RNS-E. Removedthe BNS controls and installed the new compartment.

Concert system
before1.jpg

BNS controls
before2.jpg

RNS-E and converted dash
after1.jpg

after2.jpg

Removed BNS controls with new storage bin.
after3.jpg

And very happy I am too! Cheers Craig.... you'll be glad to know I have now cleaned the car!

Ed.

hi criag do these sat navs show uk speed cameras?

No I'm afraid they do not. People are working on a POI data import, but nothing solid yet.

Craig

Hi Craig just wondering if you could give me a price for the TV tuner upgrade for my car. I dont pick it up until march 1st but it is already fitted with the RNS-E and bluetooth. Also is this a big job?

Can you supply and fit the glovebox cd changer? If so what price roughly would it be?

Cheers
Dan

Without quoting any prices to you, the TV upgrade is not an easy job. To retrofit your car to the audi standard requires a lot of work, upgrades of the antenna systems and diversity switcher.

Do you really want TV or just an AV input device for a DVD or media player?

Digital TV is another option, but again requires antennas to be mounted in the car somewhere and to tell you the truth TV on the move is not that impressive on digital TV as the the drops outs make watching very difficult.

As for the CD changer, yes I can retrofit that, but it requires a changer and new glovebox to be done correctly. Are you aware you get 2x SD card slots for playing Mp3's in the RNS-E? Most people do not bother with a CD changer when the yhave the RNS-E.

I may have just lost business, but I would rather let you know what is involved before saying yes I can do it and blag you into something that is expensive and unneccessary.

Craig

I have an A3 2.0T 2005 Model new Grill.

It currently has a Sympthony II & Bose.

What is the price for the RSN-E Sat Nav? What bits are involved for the GPS antenna and do you fit this? Can You explain the details if Poss?

What price? etc. Availability?

DM

Hi Craig.

I currently have a 2005 ('05) A3 FSI Sport with Symphony II

As with the above user:

"What is the price for the RSN-E Sat Nav? What bits are involved for the GPS antenna and do you fit this? Can You explain all details if Poss?"

In addition are they all Audi parts and are there any common problems that may occur with instalation?

Cheers

Craig. Can you confirm how you fit the Phatbox in the boot of an A3. Am I right in thinking if it's put where the CD changer is, you have to cut the cover to allow it to fit?

The RNS-E is the only genuine part, all other parts are 3rd party.

The GPS antenna fits under the dash. Not a shark fins install, that costs too much money.

Adaptor cables are used to convert symphony to RNS-E.

The RNS-E & car are coded to accept navigation.

Possible problems? well I haven't had any except a bad disk, but all my units are tested and brought up to the latest revision of firmware and warrantied for 12 months.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]
Craig. Can you confirm how you fit the Phatbox in the boot of an A3. Am I right in thinking if it's put where the CD changer is, you have to cut the cover to allow it to fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never done an A3 boot install, only the glove box, but I would guess as in my RS6 and S8, it's pretty tight against the cover. With the S8 I made a hole in the cover to slot the cartridge through and when the phat noise was mounted as far back in the chassis as possible it popped through by about 1/2". With the RS6, again the phatnoise is as far back in the chassis as I can take it (I cut away some of the CD cradle ) and it just pushes against the cover of the boot, I removed some of the foam padding the same size as the cartridge and it closes perfectly.

Craig delete ure PM inbox. LImit is full.

Can you answer this?

What payment do you take?

I get to keep the sympthony unit right?

Dave

Dave

Mail cleared, sorry I have no way of knowing.

Cash on completion only and you get to keep anything I take out of your car.

Everything is plug and play, if you sell the car, you can easily swap back to symphony.

Craig

Fine that is ok. I'll prob have it done at the end of the month if thats ok with you.

Dave

Thanks for your reply to me earlier in the thread Craig. It answered all my questions. I'm not that bothered about the TV just thought it was a nice to have if it was easy to fit. Now the cars turned up im using the sd cards for music so the changer isnt required either.

Hi Craig,

I have a MY2000 S3, which is obviously pre-facelift with a Audi Concert HU, and is (as I understand it), pre-CANBUS.

I have been trying to interpret this thread to see whether it would be economic and viable to have the OEM satnav conversion fitted to my car, but I'm afraid I find myself having to trouble you for your advice on this!

If I can get the conversion done, I assume that a post-facelift fascia plate will be required? Also, could I keep my boot-mounted CD/MP3 player, and would the TV upgrade also be a viable option?

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Gary.

I never said it couldnt be done, I have installed a Nav+ into an A3 myself, 8L shape, but it was a symphony before hand and the gap at the top was filled with a metal strip like the one in your link.

Interesting that this guy has used an A3 model with rounded corners, I would have gone with an A6 unit and trimmed the sides down for a better fit.

The only things you have to be aware of are.

1. Does your car have can bus - years 2001+
2. The colours probably wouldn't match unless its a late model A3.
3. Use an A6 model and trim it down.
4. Code it for an A6 and pick up the speed pulse from the cluster.
5. It's easier with a symphony II to RNS-E than a concert.
6. You will have a gap at the top of the unit regardless of what RNS-E you use.

Here is the A3 I have done...
rick1.jpg