Sat Nav display - what do these figures mean?

/dev/null

Reaction score
I have the overlay for upcoming events showing on my satnav display. However I'm a bit confused on the highlight section!
The lefthand value to me is quite clear - it's saying "You're going to hit Sandbach services in 6.1 miles". Excellent - at the time, that was about right.
However what does the value on the right mean!?? It can't mean time to get to that point because 1) I was at a standstill, and 2) whatever the case I'm not going to be travelling 6 miles in a minute!

It's not just a one-off where it's gone wrong, I've seen this many a times. So I must be reading it wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 466
Ive seen some very crazy readings from this "function"

As you can see i was in stop start traffic but it did not take me 1h 47 to reach the services - it was about 5 mins in the traffic

Attachments

• 20141029_120241.jpg
    20141029_120241.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 484
I've not noticed anything weird about this function myself - will have to keep an eye out for strange readings from it. It's always been reasonably accurate for me, and never noticed it giving unreasonable figures.

Mine has always worked well. Where you driving really really slow? =P

Yeah mine's never given wacky figures like that - bizarre!

Next time it does it try a reset (Menu + MMI button + top-right soft button) and see if it sorts itself out.

I was driving slow, so I'd have thought that would have shown my reading the other way? Going at the speed I was then 6 miles should have taken about an hour!

Out of those of you have commented which of you have a sim card in the glove box

Its not how long the sat nav thinks you'll be delayed due to traffic over the expected journey time is it? My tom-tom did that and it confused the hell out of me till I figured it out...well I say figured it out I still can't but thats what it is lol

Its not how long the sat nav thinks you'll be delayed due to traffic over the expected journey time is it? My tom-tom did that and it confused the hell out of me till I figured it out...well I say figured it out I still can't but thats what it is lol
That's what I was also thinking. In fact removing the sim card while experiencing such an inaccurate reading does "fix" it. Either way something isn't quite right for it to be so far off. The car is supposed to be Google enabled but Google maps on my phone wins hands down for traffic and route options every time. When I bought the car I was hoping it was going to be more or less Google maps but built in. Disappointed to say the least. Audi aren't the only car manufacturers reinventing the sat nav wheel. When tom Tom and Google have it so right car manufacturers still think it's wise in their infinite wisdom to waste money developing their own solution and then charging the earth for it! I think it'd Renault that have Tom Tom built in.... Such a good idea!

That's what I was also thinking. In fact removing the sim card while experiencing such an inaccurate reading does "fix" it.

But the OP doesn't have Connect so that can't be it.

When I bought the car I was hoping it was going to be more or less Google maps but built in. Disappointed to say the least. Audi aren't the only car manufacturers reinventing the sat nav wheel. When tom Tom and Google have it so right car manufacturers still think it's wise in their infinite wisdom to waste money developing their own solution and then charging the earth for it! I think it'd Renault that have Tom Tom built in.... Such a good idea!

Don't start this tired argument again. Oh and Audi were providing navigation systems long before Google starting doing it.

But the OP doesn't have Connect so that can't be it.

Don't start this tired argument again. Oh and Audi were providing navigation systems long before Google starting doing it.
Well the 8v was the first a3 to have full postcode search, so just coz they've been doing it a long time doesn't mean they know what they're doing

Well the 8v was the first a3 to have full postcode search, so just coz they've been doing it a long time doesn't mean they know what they're doing

I'm pretty sure there are legal/licensing issues at play there though

I'm pretty sure there are legal/licensing issues at play there though

If you mean there were "legal/licensing issues" and that was why they couldn't offer 7 digit postcode search, the reason that cars only offered 5 digit postcode search was because there are only 5 digits in German postcodes. Enough said I think? They have now realised that there is a world beyond the German border LOL

Reactions: andywil13
Here are some more pics from the same journey I posted about when the ETA to services was wildy wrong. Pics are attached, but below is a summary of time against the chaning ETA. As you can see apart from when the ETAs that were completly wrong, the car did know what my ETA would be taking into account the traffic correctly.

Time ETA
12.02 2.39
12.04 12.57
12.08 2.46
12.12 1.16
12.17 3.01
12.32 1.05
1.04 Arrived

Attachments

• Sat Nav Small.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
If you mean there were "legal/licensing issues" and that was why they couldn't offer 7 digit postcode search, the reason that cars only offered 5 digit postcode search was because there are only 5 digits in German postcodes. Enough said I think? They have now realised that there is a world beyond the German border LOL

That doesn't sound very likely at all.

It might be true that Germans have 5 digit postcodes, but it doesn't sound likely that this is the reason the postcodes are/were inaccurate here. That's just not how software works.

So when u have a 7 digit post code and u can only enter 5 of them, that could definitely be cause for not finding the street u are looking for, irrelevant as we can now enter 7. And regardless of how software works, the point is they didn't change the software to cater for 7 digit post codes for us Brits. Besides I don't think the issue being debated was about the inaccuracy caused by postcodes, I believe the issue is the estimated journey time / arrival time with traffic which then turned to 7 digit postcodes coming in due to licensing, I'm just agreeing that it was not due to licensing, rather the fact that no one could be bothered to change the software to cater for the 7 digit post codes in Britain until some point when they did, so i agree that postcodes are not the cause of inaccuracy (of the arrival time anyway) :)