1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat Nav App

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Brodster, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Mar 16, 2013]
    Hi guys. Didnt know which section to put this in as its either VCDS or thhis one.

Customer of mine has bought a new A3 and has heard that to activate the sat nav it is something to do with an app that can be either purchased or downloaded. I have no idea what he was talking about but said I would enquire about it.

Anyone got any ideas on this. Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Mar 16, 2013]
    If the SD Sat Nav wasn't ordered from the factory then it can be added for around £500 direct from Audi. They supply the maps on an SD card, and then 'digitally authorise' the car to enable the Sat Nav functionality and accept the maps from the SD card. As far as i'm aware the only way to enable this is through Audi. If there is a way to do this 'unofficially' then be prepared for it to be disabled if it is ever plugged back into the Audi network at a dealer.
  4. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Mar 16, 2013]
    Yeah I'd imagine Audi have made this pretty difficult to get around, i.e. not just a case of copying the SD card or even using VCDS as they know how prevalent those things are. I'm sure it can and will be circumvented but you're basically stealing by doing this and Audi would take a very dim view if they discovered it at any point.
  5. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Mar 17, 2013]
    To audi he goes Markus, as even if someone did crack the system, as soon as it went for a service or warranty work, they would probably disable it or invalidate some warranty, who knows, but I suggest going to audi.
  6. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Mar 17, 2013]
    Cheers peeps I will inform him and see what he does.
  7. drtav13

drtav13 Member

[Mar 23, 2013]
    as you can see from ETKA the cost of the activation code is 200 euros , my stealership asks for 650 !!!
    I see listings on ebay around 230-300 euros , but the problem is that the code must be activated online by an audi dealer...

sd nav activation.jpg
  8. Audi Steve

Audi Steve Member

[Mar 23, 2013]
    That is the sd card with data on and activation for the data only, you also need the 'function' activation as well at £250
  9. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Mar 23, 2013]
    Yeah as Audi traditionally charge around that figure for an update set of maps on DVD (for cars which support this such as RNS-E and older MMI systems), I suspect that's just the price for a fresh set of maps on an SD card. It says activation but this is likely a case of activating the maps themselves rather than the nav system. It kind of makes sense that each set of maps would require a new activation otherwise people could easily copy the SD card. The older DVD based systems didn't have this, presumably as copying a dual-layer DVD was a fair bit trickier than copying an SD card.