1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sat nav and bluetooth kit

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by woddle1000, May 13, 2011.

1. woddle1000

woddle1000 Member

[May 13, 2011]
    can anyone recommend a double din unit fitted for an A4 3.0 Cab that doesn't cost the earth?

basically an RNS-E is a grand,

I want similar features, sat nav, bluetooth kit, touchscreen stereo but I don't want to part with so much money!

has anyone else upgraded?

any advice is appreciated

Steve
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 29, 2014]

3. woddle1000

woddle1000 Member

[May 15, 2011]
    well thanks for all your help and replies guys, top forum :shrug:
  4. Kelza

Kelza MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[May 15, 2011]
    hi there woddle why not drop chorley car audio an email just to ask or maybe they can sort you out ,very helpful ..:icon_thumright:
    Chorley Car Audio | VAGOC.co.uk
  5. s8craig

s8craig Active Member VCDS Map User

[May 15, 2011]
    Annoys me when people slag off the forum just because no one had anything to say

6. woddle1000

woddle1000 Member

[May 15, 2011]
    i will do S3Kel, cheers,
    Kelza likes this.
  7. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[May 28, 2011]
    Reason you've not got much extra advice is that it's all on the forum already.

Second hand RNS-E's are around £350-£400, on Fleabay, but then you still don't get Bluetooth or touchscreen.... the bluetooth is a lot rarer 2nd hand and the Audi verison is another £250+ new... there are some Parrot equivalent, but on your budget, you're unlikely to get even 2nd hand Audi OEM SatNav + bluetooth.

IMO: Pioneer AVIC are some of the better non-OEM kits around: entry level models (Pioneer AVIC-F320BT) are around £500-£600 - you'll get newer features (USB, SDHC, touchscreen) than the OEM kit, but you'll lose all the integration with the steering wheel + DIS (I've written at least 3 detailed posts with breakdowns on the pro's and con's).

Be very careful of the £300 Fleabay "Does everything" models on eBay (including Freeview TV), they do offer a lot, they've been okay for some, but I've also heard a few scare stories of them overheating and the software being very flakey.

Also - be careful if you've got the BOSE upgraded stereo, might be some probs with using the BOSE amp with non-OEM kit.
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  8. woddle1000

woddle1000 Member

[May 29, 2011]
    thanks for the reply. i have had a scoot round the site but cant always find what i was looking for as i was unsure how to word it, I think I am going to get a pioneer f920bt installed after the bank holiday, can get it installed with bose leads etc for 850 which i thought was reasonable, i am not too bothered about the DIS for an extra few hundred and less features!!
  9. BahnStormer77

[May 30, 2011]
    I know what you mean: I was tempted by some of the non-OEM stuff, but I was getting the multifuntion steering, so wanted all the buttons, incl the voice control, etc to work (which they all do)... and don't under-estimate the value of having the directions on the DIS for yourself or being able to prompt for voice-nav directions direct from the steering wheel buttons while the missus watches TV or trawls through her music.
  10. woddle1000

woddle1000 Member

[May 30, 2011]
    the DIS would be nice, but the missus wouldnt get a look in, my car my rules, dont like it, walk, attitude in my car, love my music and her romance **** wont even get close to being a coaster in my car ha, it a matter of justifying all the extra cost for so little extra functions!
    Kelza likes this.
  11. BahnStormer77

[May 30, 2011]
    I say "her music".... there's two SD cards: one with mine, one with a carfefully vetted and thinned down selection of her music.... although she really wasn't impressed when I replaced some of the tracks: e.g. MAdonna's verison of Amercian Pie had to be replaced with the Don Maclane "original" (more common) version...
  12. BahnStormer77

[May 30, 2011]
    To be fair, it's not "less functions" really.... just different ones: I was after 100% OEM look, DIS directions, FULL steering wheel controls (phone menu, voice activation, channels/tracks, volume)

The trade off was no touch screen, only half post codes (even some Tom Toms and a lot of the aftermarket ones don't do full UK postcodes) and I've only 8Gb MP3 storage (2 x SD cards) on the satnav with some restrictions on file lengths and number of files that most newer aftermarket systems shouldn't have a problem with.

I would have traded off the OEM look if I could have got the steering controls and DIS directions, but the only people who were offering that were charging a lot more than the RNS-E and weren't willing to fit it.
  13. woddle1000

woddle1000 Member

[May 30, 2011]
    i can get a pioneer f930bt, fully fitted, plays all dvds and cd and mini sd and usb, bluetooth handsfree, full satnav, touchscreen for 850, to get an rns-e to do that fitted is alot more money, so the DIS doesnt even come into it! all those other functions are more important to me than dis!
  14. BahnStormer77

[May 30, 2011]
    granted... the non-OEM kit does become more appealing if you don't have a multifunciton steering wheel and the Pioneer AVIC stuff (like the F930BT) is some of the best stuff - I'm sure you won't be disappointed... I spent a lot of time seeing if I could get the steering controls to work with a the Pioneer and to get the directions on the DIS, but there was nothing out there... the best most people could do was the volume: just needed to point that out to anybody catching up on this thread and has the MF steering wheel...
  15. woddle1000

woddle1000 Member

[May 30, 2011]
    if i had the multi steering wheel i think i would have to think alot more carefully, but i dont so its a no brainer for me, would you recomend the f930bt or would you go for something else?