1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samco Turbo Intake or Oettinger Intake ? Audi S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by s8n, Feb 16, 2004.

1. s8n

s8n Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    technical discussion for the benefit of all s3 owners, not just myself...

Costa, thanks for that reply.. once again demonstrating just much you have to add to Audi Sport.net

Thankyou
  2. Drill

Drill Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    Oh yeah, and direct from the Oettinger website:

[ QUOTE ]
    The specially developed turbo intake pipe for the 1.8T ensures a smooth and powerful load change and more power. The shrinking that occurs with the standard intake part at high revs. is eliminated. Espescially recommended for tuned S3.

The OETTINGER turbo intake pipe is manufactured in high quality polished stainless steel.

[/ QUOTE ]

3. s8n

s8n Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    Drill, yep ta /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Seen it..

Would definately like to know who designed the 1.8 Block...
  4. Drill

Drill Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    s8n said:
    Drill, do you have information relating to WHO deleveoped the block? <font color="blue">Not yet, but I'm working on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font>

A few points:

Silicon is great at holding back heat, thats why the Samco is using Silicon.<font color="blue"> OK, makes sense, and Oettingers pipe will get warm, and contribute to Intake temps, right? But by how much really?</font>

Metal is very rigid, that means the Oettinger hose would not flex as well with movements on the Engine as the Samco.<font color="blue"> But the Oettinger pipe has silicon fittings, wouldn't this help to add flexibility? Thereby preventing this problem? Or is it still too rigid?</font>

The Samco has better fitment over the K04 Inlet then the Oettinger , Rubber hose over a metal inlet will seal better than its metal counterpart as there is no constriction around the inlet with a clamp using a metal hose <font color="blue"> Curious on this, if so, and if the K03 and K04's have the same inlet size, then why did Audi choose to use a metal intake pipe for the K03? </font>

The Oettinger does have fitment issues (k04 inlet side) and also air turblence issues the Samco doesnt.. due to the Oettingers two piece jointed construction. These have been confirmed by Oettinger TIP owners on Audiworld.com (just do a search for Oettinger Intake Pipe)

Regarding the longevitiy of the Samco, how long do you think a Intercooler hose would last? Or a rubber fuel line? definately easily well beyond the life of the car with me as a owner.. The same goes for the Oettinger. <font color="blue"> Makes sense, I was mainly trying to reason out why Oettinger would replace an all rubber hose/pipe with one of Stainless/Silicon construction, as opposed to the all silicon Samco</font>

K04 &amp; K03 have the same inlet diameter...No fitment issues have been reported on the 225HP version of the inlet pipe. There are fitment issues with the 150hp version on some Golf cars with the Samco, but I don't have a Golf, nor is my Turbo a k03 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif <font color="blue"> Are you SURE the inlet diameter is the same? Why is it then, that manufacturors are making seperate parts for the K03 and K04?? </font>

The more I research this, the more the choice becomes obvious. I am ordering my Samco tip on Friday...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. s8n

s8n Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    Drill, from searchs about the k03/k04 the inlet pipe or flange is the same, althought i blieve the compressor &amp; exhaust wheels ARE different... I cannot confirm that but.. Perhaps Glen can chime in??

As for the metal intake pipe on a k03, I have no idea.. Nothing useful I can add there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyone else?

Definately id say the oettinger DOES flex a bit with the fittings but as to how much, would be questionable wouldnt you think?? The samco is entirely silcone hose, it would flex far easier...

As for temps of the pipe, I'm sure it would get warm, no doubt about this. But the air travelling DOWN this pipe will not be compressed therefore cooler.. None the less the hotter the air anywhere I think relating to turbocharged engines the worse off we are? no? Anything cooler is a plus I think

Very eager to see this 1.8 engine stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers!!!

EDIT: My diameter comments with the k03/k04 are based on posts from VWVORTEX Technical discussions... Also, we know the turbos are similar but have you compared what a 225HP intake looks like to a 150hp intake looks like? They are VERY different... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  6. Drill

Drill Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    s8n said:
    Drill, yep ta /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Seen it..

Would definately like to know who designed the 1.8 Block...

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, working on it. Although according to the Oettinger website (First OBVIOUS place to look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) [ QUOTE ]
    Even before the first 5-valve-engine was released from AudiĀ“s production
    line, it already was part of the OETTINGER programm. That was in 1989.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm looking in to what this actually means, but I do know that Oettinger had a 5valve 1.8T engine BEFORE VAG released theirs, but it could've been a different block. IIRC the plaque said they used it in racing somewhere in the mid-80's. Gotta check the pics at home to see if I took one of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Drill

Drill Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    Still trying to find original 1.8 info, but these bastards want me to actually DO something for my pay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif But I'll keep looking. I've also sent a message to someone I know AT Oettinger to see if they have any press releases or whatnot, that can help me track something down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. s8n

s8n Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    Go Inspector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    s8n, XXX1.8T,

Sorry guys, but I felt your comments to one another were getting a little bit personal, and so felt the need to moderate.

The rest of it sounded like a good-old discussion IMO - nothing wrong with people having different opinions.

Cheers

AL
  10. Drill

Drill Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    As one who did NOT get moderated, please allow me to say:

[​IMG]
  11. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    As one who did NOT get moderated, please allow me to say:

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

12. RAPS3

RAPS3 Well-Known Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    PaulS3 said:
    R88per your the third owner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

i think they are jinxed as each owner keeps selling them and car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1st sale here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know, luckily the for sale price kept on decreasing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Third time lucky eh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  13. Drill

Drill Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    Still no word from Oettinger (But being the same day and all.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

And I actually had to WORK today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif But haven't given up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  14. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    And I actually had to WORK today

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I like your policy of trying something new everyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

15. Drill

Drill Member

[Feb 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    And I actually had to WORK today

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I like your policy of trying something new everyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, can't argue with ya there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif