1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sai removal guide

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jonny87, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Pmol66

Pmol66 Member

[Jan 12, 2014]
    Its worth a try mate. I got lucky. Mine came out with only a few swear words. I was on my own too, on my drive with axle stands.
  2. JudderMan

JudderMan Active Member

[Jan 18, 2014]
    Just done mine today, was a bit of a pig to get enough purchase on the Allen key bolts but did it as I need a new coolant water flange (plastic thing on the side of the head), so it made sense to do it all at the same time.

Pretty easy really, just I left the SAI pump in place as I don't fancy soldering anything not with my ham fists anyway. Still have an EML so I imagine I'll have to get it wiped by a mate, as I only have VCDS Lite.

It's a lot smoother now (not sure why) when idling, the cold start revs drop sooner (used to be 1 minute at least, now it's about 30 seconds), and it just 'feels' better. It's probably just all in my mind but needed to say it.

edit: forgot to say, if you leave the pump in place, remember to remove the electrical connector or your car will sound like a jet engine LOL.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. Pmol66

Pmol66 Member

[Jan 25, 2014]
    That jet engine noise is nasty lol. The reason why i took mine out is that every time i fired it up, that would happen.
  4. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

[Jun 10, 2014]
    just ordered my stuff for this, also getting the jet sound!-)
  5. Nathan Barnes

Nathan Barnes Member

[Oct 21, 2014]
    Great guide! I agree that the removal of the pump is a complete PITA, so seeing I was never going to refit the pump or bracket, I cheated and broke out the angle grinder........

Two cuts at the bottom of the bracket and the pump just falls off! No messing about!

The short-ended 5mm allen key in the photo is essential if you don't want to drain your coolant system - it will fit between the coolant pipe when taking off the breather tube. Either buy one or cut your own down.

With these 2 cheats, it took about 40 minutes.

Thanks for the inspiration jonny87!
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Pmol66 likes this.
  6. Nathan Barnes

Nathan Barnes Member

[Oct 23, 2014]
    [​IMG]

I should have posted this pic - My post might have made sense!
    jojo likes this.
  7. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 23, 2014]
    I left my pump attached, was going to cut it out, but I crashed the car instead! lol
    Nathan Barnes likes this.