Safe notice on radio?? any idea on fixing?

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
Hey guys.
Yeah so Im driving along listening to my radio and next thing the sound starts to flicker and my radio totally cuts off. (now bear in mind im still driving) me like a clown thinks I somehow stalled the car *** wtf am I on like im doing 60mph on a motorway. but anyway i switch the radio back on and it says 'SAFE' and it wont let me press any buttons etc.

I removed and unplugged it and it seems that somehow water from my bottle that was in the cup holder has maybe spilled or something as I noticed water droplets on the metal unit.

does anyone know how to turn the safe message off or have any clue what to do?

cheers guys!! :)

safe msg you should re enter your pin for the stereo hold the rds and scan then the screen will pop up for you to enter your radio code

thanks

lee

Try this supernova,

Detach the battery and reattach after a few mins, convienience coding (taken form the ECU) kicks in and you should have your radio back, it worked for me!

I even had the right radio code and it still wouldn't accept it for some reason, ****** irritating!:banghead:

I looked into this and it can be a number of things causing it:

1. The battery output drops below certain voltage (12V IIRC) and the radio thinks its being nicked! So you may think about getting a new battery.

2. Your HU is kapuut! No other way of putting that! Sorry!

3. There is an underlying problem with the electrics system which causes the voltage to dip below 12V. So the radio acts as though it's being nicked again! You will have to do a search, to get the long winded explanation!

Even after a new battery it did it a couple of times! But that was in the winter, when it was 10 below! Which can effect the battery output a bit. Mine has been fine ever since then, touch wood!

That is my experience with "SAFE" mode, other people my have some more good advice.

HTH

Rog :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
So I called up my local Audi dealers this morning and told them my problem, heres how it went...

Me: ''hello, my radio went onto safe mode and I dont have the radio code to reset it''

Dealer: ''Has your vehicle been with us before?''

Me: '' No, sorry''

Dealer ok as it hasnt been with us before we will have to get your code from ****** company uk which would be £25.00.can I have your chassy number and serial code from the side of the radio?

Me: '' ok I'll have to call you back when I take out my radio to get you the serial code''

Dealer: '' ok sir not a problem speak to you soon''

So I went off to get the codes and was thinking to myself *** £25.00 for a 4 digit code. WTF.

so I call up and get a different girl, I didnt tell her I had called before but just explained my problem again. she asked for my Chassy number and serial code and then told me she would send it off to a company that would get the code and that she would call me as soon as it arrives.

so about 2hours later she calls, tells me the code and then asked if she could help with anything else, I reply no thank you, you have been a great help and she proceeds to end the call with ''thank you sir, enjoy your day'' with no mention of £25.00 charge.

so there you have it. Free service from Audi, Doesnt happen very often. :)

Like was the first dealer just being odd and was it an unnecessary charge?

No, I expect the girl has now been sacked!! Lol

I think they do charge if you aren't a customer of the dealer, but had you taken the car there before and was a frequent visitor then they would waver it. Sounds like the girl took a shine to you!! :beerchug:

Reactions: supanova