SAFE mode / Dodgy wires /

GavConner

Reaction score
Please please please please please help !

I've recently bought an A3 that I love .... however the radio decided to put itself in to (Safe Mode) I think its the basic Concert one.

I've got the code and entered it but as soon as thats done it puts itself back in to safe mode. I thought loose wire as the previous chap had a car kit and had it removed before I bought it.

Managed to get the radio out to have a look and most wires look ok.

I've disconnected it all and plugged in the wire block things one by one. I can get the radio to work and connect most of the blocks. As soon as I connect the block that feeds in to the dash display the radi cuts out !!!! (SAFE MODE)

So .. I'm looking at this block and it seems that all the wires are ok, one of them has been bared to I think take a feed somewhere ... but it seems to be ok.

Then ... I've found a red wire thats all on its own and looks like its heading behind the steering wheel.

I'd really love it if somebody could post a picture of the wires or tell me what wires should be coming from this block. My A3 is a 2003 2.0 TDI and has the red display in the dash (Not the colour)

Hope you can help ... if not I see a pricey trip to AUDI

Really look forward to any replies : )

The DIS feed is on the 20 pin mini ISO connector (the top one as you look at the back of the HU). This is usually solid black on late 8L A3's, shown below as earlier multicoloured version.
The yellow section is the preout feed to the rear/sub amp (or rear/front/sub on Bose equipped cars). The green section is the DIS/CANBUS and the blue section is the CD changer (if fitted).
You shouldn't need a code for the HU even if it's disconnected as later A3's are CANBUS controlled, so as long as the HU hasn't been changed then no code needs to be entered. My guess is it's a CANBUS problem. Post a photo of the wiring and the diagram on top of the HU.
AudiMiniISOblock.jpg

Thank you mate !

I must have a later version as my connector is all black.

I don't have a sub/amp/bose and I don't have a CD changer :(

So that block must only be for the DIS. (I shall pop out and lunch and take a photo to confrim)
So the radio works fine without this plugged in but then as soon as I pulg it in will go straight in to (SAFE mode)

Do you think I may have a loose wire ?
Is this a problem you ahve heard of before ??
Is it as simple as replaceing the wires to the DIS or will it need a new unit ?

I really appreaciate you help !!

No you do have a sub and rear amp, all A3's have them as standard.

Really ?

Oh dear .... shows how stupid I am .... Even with the basic concert radio ??

Where do they live as I've not come across them.

Photos will be here shortly !

Hi, here are the photos ...

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

Had a fiddle witht eh wires to see if they where loose and then heard a pop

Now the car wont start !

Not having a good day :(

I turn the key and it turns over but wont start.
I had a look at the fuses and they all seem ok to me ...

Please help !

The 2 red wires in the mid section are CAN High & CAN Lo, which is correct, then the 4 wires on the left are rear pre-outs left & right, screen and remote turn on for the amp, which is also correct.
I'd have a look at the sub in the boot (nearside cubbyhole) and see if any of the wiring on the red connector looks butchered, or indeed if you even have a sub, as it may have been removed. You should definately hear a difference in the sound when connecting that connector. Maybe the sub has been removed, or disconnected and they didn't put it back to stock when they sold the car.
Here's the sub (the one on the right is non Bose):
OEMSubs.jpg

If the lead is dangling in the rear quarter you may find there's water down the bottom (common rear wiper leak) and it's shorting out.

I think you have just found the problem mate !!!

My back washer stopped working about two weeks ago !

I had a Golf Mk4 before and solved the problem with a bit of tubing from halfords but this leak was inside the bootlid.

If the Audi leak is located near the amp then it has to be soggy.

I'm going to investigate tonight when I get homeand letyou know how I get on.

I really cant thank you enough for your help today !

The washer can leak in a number of places but one of them is over the wheelarch i.e. underneath the sub. Have a feel underneath and also down behind the rear lights, as the alarm controller is down there and that won't like getting wet either.

Hi guys,

After pulling the sub out of the left and side and checking everywhere I can't find any water. In fact it feels bone dry. The washer jets where blocked so I've cleaned them and my back washer works a treat now :)

However the radio still hates the top mini ISO connector being plugged in.

I can get the radio and the front speakers to work by plugging in the two bottom ISO connectors ..... but as soon as I plug in the top ISO connector it puts the radio in to safe mode.

I've followed the 6 wires and they seem to go through the left hand side of the car and into the plastic sub thing.

Given the connections a wipe and a waggle and it still doesn’t work :(

Any ideas guys ??

Unplug the red sub connector and see if that still puts it into safe mode. If it does then it must be the DIS feed. If it doesn't then the amp inside the sub is knackered. You can pick up a complete replacement sub & amp on ebay for about £20

Unplug the red sub connector and see if that still puts it into safe mode. If it does then it must be the DIS feed. If it doesn't then the amp inside the sub is knackered. You can pick up a complete replacement sub & amp on ebay for about £20

Hi Andy,

I unplugged the red subconnector and it still went in to safe mode so that suggests its the DIS feed.
I'm thinking of changing over the 12 pin blocks and at the same tiem make sure that all the wires are in solidly. Is this easy to do ? Can I pick up the block from halfords or is it an audi part ???

Also ... on the way up to scotland the radio cut out and went it to safe mode.

Entered the code and it was ok again .... Is this another feed that needs looked at ??

Sob