1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S8 windscreen

Medders Dec 10, 2003

1. Medders

Medders Member

£600 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My insurance are sorting it, so hopefully I only have the excess to pay !

Anybody confirm or deny this price ?

Paul

2. SvenS8

SvenS8 Member

That's about right for a heated one, a bit on the high side maybe (€795 here IIRC). If it's not heated it should be less IMO. Prices vary from €500 (£350) - €800 (£560).

Code for the heated one is 4GM by the way (see sticker in service manual). You sure which type you need yet?

3. Medders

Medders Member

mine isn't heated. I thought it sounded a lot.

Is there anything I need to look out for when they're changing it over ?

Paul

4. Mutley

Mutley Member

Hi Paul,

Make sure the correct type of bonding gunge is used. About 4 years ago I had a 98 R S8 and its screen had been replaced by a non-Audi dealership. I could hear constant clicks and creaks from the dash area and eventually I got the screen replaced by Audi. This stopped all the noise which I think was caused either by the wrong bonding gunge (not flexible enough?), or by part of the screen touching the frame.
    As soon as you get it replaced, go for a drive with the heat full on to cause some expansion, and then open up the windows to get the inside really cold. Any clicks or creaks and I would tell them to do it again...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Jon

5. Medders

Medders Member

Thanks Mutley.

6. SvenS8

SvenS8 Member

Oh, and make sure you demand an original screen (with the Audi logo on it), otherwise you may end up with some imitation cr*p... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Medders

Medders Member

I phoned my garage to check up on their expectations.
    Apparently using a non Audi sourced windscreen can invalidate your warranty (and the stuff they use to bond the windscreen)

Anyway, they took my car away, and i just got a call to say my screen has a photo reflective coating on to reflect heat in summer ! (never knew you could get this, but I am happy!)

Paul