S8 Mass airflow Reading

PlatinumR

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me the peak maf reading on a log run on an 2001 AVP code engine S8. 4.2L V8 265KW

Think the maf is kaput as only getting 170 ish g/s

cheers fellas

Jez.

Couldn't give you a concrete figure, but you can do 'rough' maths to get a fair estimate...

265kW converts to 355BHP, 355BHP x 0.8 = 284

...I'd say that 284g/s might be a bit optimistic, but it would definitely indicate that 170g/s is too low...

Regards,

Rob.

thanks Rob,

I thought it shoud be well into the two hundreds as my SEAT LCR draws just over 200 g/s

So if i head for about 250 i can't really go wrong.

cheers

Jez.

No worries :thumbsup:

...and yeah, I'd say 250+ would be a much more realistic and healthy figure!

Regards,

Rob

Hi fellas,

Just wanted to let you know that the it was the maf as you and i thought and the logging proved it. 285 g/s at one point.

Lovely to be in one that goes like it should.

Don't suppose you know how to fix the alarm horn not going off when the alarm does?
Think it may have been disabled in vagcom but don't know how to get it back.
All power supplies and wiring are fine.

Thanks again

Jez.

Glad to hear you got it sorted and that all those horses are galloping properly now! :thumbsup:

I guess this might be a daft question given that it's not working, but do you know if it's a 'horn' alarm or 'siren' - the siren type are prone to issues with backup-batteries leaking and killing them IIRC so that might be something to check for...

There *might* be a soft-coding or adaptation that silences the alarm but I'm not certain; I'll have a hunt around on my laptop to see if I can see anything.

Have you tried running the output tests on the alarm module with VAG-COM? I would guess that even if it's 'optionally' been disabled it should sound during the tests, that might help pin-point whether it's been 'switched' or is a fault?

Regards,

Rob.

Rob,

it's deffo a siren type as it's hidden on the left of the boot behind the trim bolted to a bracket.

it has a perm positive and it gets the pulsed positive when the alarm triggers and the earth seems fine too.

I replaced the siren but it's still the same and thats after leaving it to charge overnight.

bit stumped now, can't remember which modules it has now but i think the alarm settings are in central locking? adaptions. Could be wrong though i have been many times before :)

cheers

Jez.

Hiya mate,

I guess if you've changed the siren unit that rules out a lot of the common issues then. I didn't manage to look into it too deeply last night but I'll grab my laptop now and see what coding options there are for the unit...

And yes, alarm functions are governed normally by two modules - the first being central locking (which does the most of it), and the second being interior monitor (which as the name suggests normally just handles those sensors).

When you open a controller in VAG-COM one of the buttons is 'Output Tests' - click that inside the Central Locking module (controller 35) and just go through the tests - maybe that might shed some more light on the subject...

I'll post again with anything I find regarding soft-coding or adaptation...

Regards,

Rob.

Right mate; this might not be the charm just yet (if not let me know and we'll keep trying!), but it might do the trick...

Open Controller 35 (Central Locking) In VAG-COM.

Look at the Soft-Coding window. Write down the number in there and add 1024 to it. Hit Recode in VAG-COM; enter the new number you just made and save it to the module... If it accepts that new code give your alarm a try.

If it doesn't accept it, try entering 15178 as the soft-coding (if that wasn't the number you just made)...

Let me know how you get on fella; but from what I can see there is indeed a way to 'mute' the alarm horn/siren by soft-coding; and it's subtract 1024 from the code to enable 'mute' - so if that's what's been done to yours adding 1024 to the code number should put it right...

If that doesn't work it's back to the drawing board, but we'll keep at it!...

Regards,

Rob.

Rob,

on accessing 35, the code already in there was 15179 comprised of binary numbers 1,2,4,8,32,64,256,512,2048,4096 and 8192.

I'm assuming these are the active bits in the code.

We tried adding 1024 to it to give 16203 but no noise, it did accept the code.

We tried 15178 which i believe is the default code and again no noise.

The strange thing is there is that the binary number shown in the balloon on vagcom still show the numbers for 15179 whatever is coded?? strange.

Also there are no adaptions in the adaptions block, 1-99 all read error

vag number for module is 8LO 862 257 G.

output tests gives no horn during the alarm phase.

Measuring blocks group 4 gives code 1, 101. Code 2, 1101. Code 3, 1000. Code 4, 1010.

We're running out of ideas, maybe the module is kaput?

all your help is much appreciated.

Jez.

just to add, we have tried altering the code to take out the remote, boot release etc and it all works just no ****** horn!
Seems the vag balloon shows the standard settings all the time.

Do you think we need to change something going through the login button instead of coding?

Hmmmm. This is turning into a real good one!

I'm not sure there's anything related to the horn/siren that requires a log-in...

I'm struggling to figure out how it might be the controller if you're getting the pulsed-voltage at the siren-end of the cables when the alarm is triggered. I wonder if you trigger the alarm with the siren disconnected it'll throw a fault code?

Regards,

Rob

If you put a normal car horn onto the output and trigger the alarm the horn goes off so we can only think it must be some circuitry in the siren but we exchanged it again today at the garage and still no joy.

This is really irritating now.

gonna go and change the drivers lower a/c direction flap valve thing now to take my mind off it.

no joy on the fault codes with the siren disconnected it just registers the alarms been triggered.

Now that's really weird. Everything was starting to point to there being a fault with the control unit but now you've connected a 'normal' horn to it and it sounds, it sort-of blows that theory out of the water.

So when you connected this 'normal' horn I assume you did it at the exact point in the circuit where the proper siren connects? If you did I guess it makes it all the more confusing when you consider that you've swapped the siren unit out a couple of times now and nothing's changed, even a bit.

I *may* still have a central locking control unit knocking about somewhere which came out of my old car. I'm not sure which revision it is though. I don't know how much good that'd do though given that you've heard *somehing* make a noise when connected to the one you've got...

What's the connector like on the siren unit(s) you've been trying? (also do you have their part numbers?)

Regards,

Rob.

Rob,

Ok here goes, the siren connector is an oval plug, 3 wires - +ve, earth and pulsed +ve.

Sorry but i don't have the P/N at this time.

One thing we noticed which leads us to believe the alarm is switched off (siren told NOT to sound) is in measuring blocks in 35

In measuring blocks group 4 in the 2nd block over is a binary code.

The 3rd bit along left to right ( I know i know binary goes the other way :) ) is showing 0 and we believe this is the alarm bit and should read 1.

The bit for the indicators flashing for instance is at 1 (on).

Do you know how we check which country the alarm is set for as the USA setting is for alarms that don't have a perm +ve, just the pulsed
It also looks like the USA alarms do not have batteries in them.

We're starting to think that maybe the siren is programmed wrong?

any futher help is much appreciated.

also if you find the module you *may* have and it's of use what would you require to release it into our hands?

Jez.

As far as I can see there's no coding options that control the behaviour of the siren based on its location. There is door/window-lifter logic which stops the window lifters working when the ignition isn't on and the door is open, but there doesn't seem to be anything about the siren. I know there are a few different revision central locking pumps though, some for specific locations (I was running a South America / Middle East one in my A3 for a while because I retrofitted flip/remote key (it had a Votex fob remote before that) and they were the best I could get cheaply) - at the time I thought the only difference might be the radio frequency used (licence-exempt spectrum differences etc.) but perhaps there might be other differences... But if that's the case and a USA control unit is different it wouldn't explain anything unless your car has a 'merikan central locking unit. From memory though revision G is a European unit. I'll try to check later if I can get access to data...

It's interesting to read your notes from the measured value blocks, as far as I can see the bit you are talking about does indeed mean "0 = no ATW horn" - I guess the next part is working out how to turn the 0 into a 1...

Anyway, so we're both 'reading off the same page' so-to-speak I've printed a couple of PDFs so we can both ponder how to change that bit. I've looked for any other relevant pages and there's nothing aside from the coding page... Maybe it's worth trying to kill the USA door/window logic just in case it's tied-in with the siren and not noted anywhere...

Regards,

Rob.

http://factionone.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/measuredvaluegroup004.pdf
http://factionone.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/coding.pdf

Also... On the score of the controller I might have... I ended up with a little collection when I was doing my retrofit. I've got rid of a couple though - the one I have left might just be the original one - if it is it's not going to have built-in radio-remote support. There's a chance it's a later one though...

I'll dig around after work and try to find it (and what version it is). If it turns out useful we'll call it a couple of pints and whatever it costs to post?

I'll let you know what turns up!

Keep me posted if those PDFs uncover any secrets, and likewise I'll keep pondering it all!...

Take care mate,

Rob.

Rob,

I think we're going to put this one to bed.

we've come down to the fact that we think the software inside the siren is telling it not to sound.

V94 module controls all the other functions perfectly and as we said before we get the 5v pulsed ramping upto 12v when the alarm is triggered.

We've tried every concievable code and we can't get that one bit to change over in the measuring blocks.
I think it needs a different login code put in, like the 1.8Ts need to activate cruise control, or the country is set wrong.

It's also weird that there are no adaptions available in module 35.

hey ho, we've wired up a separate horn that works perfectly.

Don't think i'm gonna lose any more sleep over this one.

Thanks for all your help

Happy motoring

Jez.