1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S8 Gearbox / ECU issues + 'Safe or Limp Home' mode

Discussion in 'A8/S8 forum' started by AWedder999, Nov 18, 2007.

1. AWedder999

AWedder999 New Member

[Nov 18, 2007]
    :sadlike:
    Hi

I have developed an ECU related 'Safe Mode' / 'Limp Home' problem in an '02 - after standing, the problem occurs prior to a reasonable warm up period - its always on the restart that this problem occurs.

Audi main dealer took £500 off me for saying that the cover box was cracked and was allowing in moisture - they replaced the box and since thin I get the Safe Mode everytime the car is started, After running it for a few minutes and trying several more times it usually comes right and is perfectly drivable, until the next time it has stood for a while - then, same routine all over again.

Having looked under the bonnet I do see that there is always a lot of condensation on the lower surface of the bonnet...

Have drained the wheel arch tubes and made sure that the main drains under the aircon intake box are clear - they are.

Audi now want £1,100 for a new ECU for the Gearbox, but cannot promise that this will fix the problem.

Otherwise, the car at 55K miles is perfect, but I am forming an opinion that I should dump it and get something else, as the forums are full of electronic problem issues and people are saying that these are a one way street to losing money...

Any bright ideas out there for this 1st time user of this website community?

Thanks
    :readit:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Pimpster

Pimpster Rolling Thunder...

[Nov 19, 2007]
    I would take it back to Audi and get the £500 back! You went in with an issue, they charged you £500 to fix it, but it is still not fixed!

Mine is a 2002 with 55k miles too! So now I'm getting worried! lol

Post the same question over on tyresmoke, the A8/S8 forum is very active on there, and you should get an answer to your problem fairly quickly.
  4. mazzy

mazzy Member

[Nov 24, 2007]
    It maybe the speed sensor on the gearbox, this can cause it to go into limp mode. They may have not connected it properly when they did the box.

maz.