S8 Gearbox / ECU issues + 'Safe or Limp Home' mode

AWedder999

Reaction score
:sadlike:
Hi

I have developed an ECU related 'Safe Mode' / 'Limp Home' problem in an '02 - after standing, the problem occurs prior to a reasonable warm up period - its always on the restart that this problem occurs.

Audi main dealer took £500 off me for saying that the cover box was cracked and was allowing in moisture - they replaced the box and since thin I get the Safe Mode everytime the car is started, After running it for a few minutes and trying several more times it usually comes right and is perfectly drivable, until the next time it has stood for a while - then, same routine all over again.

Having looked under the bonnet I do see that there is always a lot of condensation on the lower surface of the bonnet...

Have drained the wheel arch tubes and made sure that the main drains under the aircon intake box are clear - they are.

Audi now want £1,100 for a new ECU for the Gearbox, but cannot promise that this will fix the problem.

Otherwise, the car at 55K miles is perfect, but I am forming an opinion that I should dump it and get something else, as the forums are full of electronic problem issues and people are saying that these are a one way street to losing money...

Any bright ideas out there for this 1st time user of this website community?

Thanks
:readit:

I would take it back to Audi and get the £500 back! You went in with an issue, they charged you £500 to fix it, but it is still not fixed!

Mine is a 2002 with 55k miles too! So now I'm getting worried! lol

Post the same question over on tyresmoke, the A8/S8 forum is very active on there, and you should get an answer to your problem fairly quickly.

It maybe the speed sensor on the gearbox, this can cause it to go into limp mode. They may have not connected it properly when they did the box.

maz.