S5 Sportback owners, what should i look out for?

Flowrider99

Reaction score
My search for an S4 has led me towards the S5 Sportback. I have one lined up to look at next but but before i go can someone tell me the things to look out for. Problem area's, known faults, desirable options and anything else.

Thanks

Something i hadn't noticed before when looking at S5's online is that the Sportback is a 4 seater only just like the coupe. Seems a strange design decision when the A5 Sportback is a 5 seater as is the S4.

I don't think the S5 SB has any issues that the S4 does not. S-tronic gearbox is the main thing to scrutinise.

Reactions: Flowrider99
Just had a look at my first S5 Sportback. Nice car but with a few issues on the black paintwork which the seller said they would sort out (a few area's of clouding, some light surface scratches). The car has done 45k miles on a late 14 plate so above average mileage. The alloy wheels have been refurbished but not to OEM spec so this is something I would have to get done again. The car has a nice spec. black edition, 2 tone leather seats, electric memory seats, MMI, ADS. The S tronic gearbox had a service at a little over 38k miles and was silky smooth, but the spark plugs and SC belt have not been replaced yet. I'm certainly interested in this car.

Based on the lack of replies, thanks to Dippy for being the only one, I presume the S5 is a kickass, no issues, pretty much awesome car. :grinning:

Well I'm very happy with mine, but I bought new so I didn't have your concerns about buying used. Just like with my previous car I bought a model which was near the end of its life on the basis that most of the problems should have been solved (in contrast just browse the B9 forums and see the number of issues raised there). I only have less than 6 months warranty left, but risked that earlier this year anyway with my tune. But I don't feel that it was much of a risk.

I'm still waiting to see a new B9 RS5 on the road - something to compare against :)

So i managed to get the VIN of an S5 that i am interested in. Looks like a well spec'ed car, it has drive select (2H1) and i think a sports differential (GH2), it also has technical package 2 (WB6), light package (QQ1), dynamic steering (1N8), front/rear parking sensors with rear view camera (7X8), heated sports seats (Q4Q) with driver memory (3L4). Looks good to me!

The VIN also states 98 RON petrol which i was surprised to see.

Last edited:
I can confirm that GH2 is the sports diff.

Neither, I always use 99 RON, usually Shell V-Power but sometimes Tesco Momentum, but then my car is custom mapped for that fuel.

Audi recommend 95 RON for the B8.5 S4/5 which is what should be shown on the inside of the fuel refill lid (it is on mine). Based on my 'butt-dyno', I doubt that the OE ECU map advances timing to take advantage of 98 RON. Prior to my remap my car reached a peak of 342PS on MRC's dyno which is only 9PS above the 333PS quoted by Audi.

The deal is done. August 2014 S5 Sportback Black Edition with......

FASH
All important services uptodate (inc. gearbox @ 38K miles)!
45k miles so a little higher than I woulld have liked but I am a low mileage driver.
Mythos black.
Drive select (2H1).
Sports differential (GH2).
Dynamic steering (1N8).
Technical package 2 (WB6).
Light package (QQ1).
Storage package (QE1).
Front/rear parking sensors with rear view camera (7X8).
Exterior folding, heated, adjustable door mirrors (6XL).
Super sports seats lunar/black (SU/SY).
Heated super sports seats (Q4Q) with driver memory (3L4).

The car has recently had the alloy wheels refurbished too.

AP14ONO 01
AP14ONO 11

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadrunner146 and RS5 JON
Hey! Read your story. Its better later than never - congrats:D I'm actually in your shoes - in couple of days I'm going to view/get the S5 sportback (facelift). Nice spec for the asking price. 56k miles. BO sound, supersport 2 tone leather (like yours), parking sensors. Sunroof. Folding heated mirrors, s tronic, 20 inch wheels what caused doubts is lack of ADS... however that can be activated with VCDS... but most important to me - I wanted keyless entry and sports diff. Question, as you already have the car for some time, any particular things I need to look at? Where do I get VIN? Cheers.

Ask the seller for the VIN, you will need it for the HPI check anyway. You can then use an online VIN checker to get the spec. The main thing to check is that the s tronic was serviced at the correct time (38k miles i think).