S5 and S4 Production Suspended....

Ordered my car a few weeks back for December Delivery as this is when my current lease will return. Had an email come through regarding my order stating that construction will begin on December 4th... Anyone now would understand that you wouldn't be receiving the vehicle until the new year with that start date.

So knowing this, I called my sales exec, smashing salesman might I add, no fluff or BS, just told me straight that Audi are holding Engines due to the Emissions issue (You may of heard about it) for homologation reasons. Also stated that he will try everything that he can to get onto an order that will arrive in December, if not Audi will provide a vehicle for me to use, something equivalent would be nice but I'm not so optimistic due to only being 23.

I'm not surprised Audi are holding sales, as everyone in the Automotive industry is being so careful at the moment to not allow anything to slip by the endless amount of Regulations, that can cause a nasty slap on the wrist.

I'll update accordingly.

Thanks for the update, time will tell I guess! Picking my car up on the 1st September and guess I was one of the few who manged to get an order in prior to suspention.

Despite being told my car would be ready to collect the last week of September for definite my sales rep called me yesterday to say it will be ready to collect mid October......sometimes I get the feeling the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing :blahblah1:

It's not too big a deal but more the principle of the matter. I was reassured by audi uk and previously by the sales manager that there would be no delays but then they come out with this.

Despite being told my car would be ready to collect the last week of September for definite my sales rep called me yesterday to say it will be ready to collect mid October......sometimes I get the feeling the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing :blahblah1:

It's not too big a deal but more the principle of the matter. I was reassured by audi uk and previously by the sales manager that there would be no delays but then they come out with this.

Any causes to your delay, Or did they not elaborate? I can only assume it's the issue I have been informed about.

Whether it's true or not, the reason was due to transport or lack of so it wouldn't make the ship for the end of September.

:huh: One can only wonder.

I think this is actually going to be quite a big issue and is going to put Audi UK in a difficult position with those who took delivery of 17MY vehicles just weeks before they pressed stop.

I think this is actually going to be quite a big issue and is going to put Audi UK in a difficult position with those who took delivery of 17MY vehicles just weeks before they pressed stop.

I don't think they would be able to force a recall, it would be optional like the current dieselgate one.

If it's not safety related, I'll be waiting as long as possible if there is any retrospective software update available (190 TFSI also halted by Audi)

I think it's bigger than software from what I've been told. They're building the 18MY stock orders now but they can't do customer orders because the sales data isn't available.

I think it's bigger than software from what I've been told. They're building the 18MY stock orders now but they can't do customer orders because the sales data isn't available.

More than likely, I was told that they are holding off A5/S5 Engines.. Could suggest that software updates are being completed at suppliers, or there's a more worrying issue.

I take hold of my MY18 S4 on Tuesday next week, ordered it mid June. I'm probably very lucky with timing to get one now... though I do wonder if I will be taking part in some recall programs.. not sure why they didn't stop ALL cars until the issue had been sorted (but kept existing orders going to production..).. how can my MY18 engine be OK but others that haven't yet been built not ok ?
Dealer cannot explain... sales guy is fine, just don't think Audi dealers are given whole picture from Audi.. (Audi UK stated on mail that my car will meet the specification.. so I have it in writing..).. let's see...

A post above mentions homologation reasons, this may be way off but a few of us with S4 models have seen that the data plate and log books have the car as a B8.5 model, I wonder if later ones will be B9, as they should be?
All very odd and a pity for those waiting, I was fortunate I took a stock vehicle, had I ordered a factory one I may have been amongst those waiting. To those thinking of cancelling, go and test drive it again, it should reaffirm that it is a corker worth waiting for.

*Update*

According to my Audi Dealership, they were trying to get hold of an existing engine build so that I can receive my car in December, I was supposed to hear a Yes or No this past Friday, but never did.

I can imagine it's not going to be good news, but I can wait. I've been promised by my dealership that they will provide me a car until my S5 Arrives, does anyone know if they would actually provide anything equivalent or actually have a choice of vehicle? Tempted to ask for a Q5, Q7 as the other half is in the market for an SUV come next year.

I take hold of my MY18 S4 on Tuesday next week, ordered it mid June. I'm probably very lucky with timing to get one now... though I do wonder if I will be taking part in some recall programs.. not sure why they didn't stop ALL cars until the issue had been sorted (but kept existing orders going to production..).. how can my MY18 engine be OK but others that haven't yet been built not ok ?
Dealer cannot explain... sales guy is fine, just don't think Audi dealers are given whole picture from Audi.. (Audi UK stated on mail that my car will meet the specification.. so I have it in writing..).. let's see...

I would ask for the sales emissions/fuel data for the vehicle you're taking delivery of in writing. They do not have any 18MY sales data for S4/S5, hence why they cannot sell to customer order.

Already have it.. the MY18 a4 price price list was published along with figures..downloaded from the site...
IMG 0593
IMG 0594

IMG 0233
Audi Japan, one website from where you can still spec an S4, has the CO2 at 183g/km and consumption higher than shown here in the UK?

Also has different CC - 2994 vs 2995 :blink:

Could be a typo I suppose

Is it 2994 or 2995 in people's logbooks?

2995cc on mine, also says Type B8 and down as 175 g/km co2

35.88 MPG-imperial on the japan site too... although their cycle probably isn't the same as the EU one.

I see they have lifted the suspention!

Reactions: orcomma
I'm simply going by the website, the notice of the car being suspended has been removed and replaced with the following.

Please note that the S5 3.0 TFSI 354PS will shortly be rehomologated. Following the homologation, this car is likely to be subject to updated official CO2 emissions figures and official fuel consumption figures. Those updated values are the ones which will apply to any vehicles which are ordered from on or after 23/08/2017. The values displayed on this website at present, however, are the current (and only) official fuel consumption and official CO2 emissions figures. Customers should contact their local Audi network centre if they have any questions in relation to this issue. Note that orders made in respect of these vehicles after 23/08/2017 may be cancelled without charge if you no longer wish to proceed with your order once you are informed of the updated official values.

Not sure what will happen when I pick up my new S5 next Friday!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm simply going by the website, the notice of the car being suspended has been removed and replaced with the following.

Please note that the S5 3.0 TFSI 354PS will shortly be rehomologated. Following the homologation, this car is likely to be subject to updated official CO2 emissions figures and official fuel consumption figures. Those updated values are the ones which will apply to any vehicles which are ordered from on or after 23/08/2017. The values displayed on this website at present, however, are the current (and only) official fuel consumption and official CO2 emissions figures. Customers should contact their local Audi network centre if they have any questions in relation to this issue. Note that orders made in respect of these vehicles after 23/08/2017 may be cancelled without charge if you no longer wish to proceed with your order once you are informed of the updated official values.

Not sure what will happen when I pick up my new S5 next Friday!!!!!!

I ordered my car way before the 23/08/17 but have still been affected by this issue, it's going to be a long wait!

Just checked my bank to see when I paid for the Deposit, it was the 16th July i made the order, told Audi I didn't need the car until December as my current car is lease and will be returning then. They said they would have the car arrive in Ocotber/November time for that reason, however my build/construction start date is now the 4th December for the Homologation. Iv'e been told by the salesmen that he will provide me a car until my S5 arrives, does anyone know how that works? and if it will be even anything equivalent?

Last edited:
How come you can't even see these cars on the German Audi site? There's no S4/S5. But they have the SQ5 and the RS5?

Yes I've seen that, according to my dealer yesterday they did not know when production would resume. I ordered a s5 cab on 3rd July, we have not got any info at all at the moment.

Reactions: Swelli
I am doing a Neckarsulm Audi factory tour next Thursday, may be get a clue from them then

So I went into the dealership today to finalise my paperwork for collection of my S5 SB next Friday and spoke to the Sales Manager who said that cars produced after the 23/8/17 will have different co2 figures (I'm guessing higher) and will attract the relevant charges. Anything prior to that will remain at the old figures (S5 will remain at 170 g/km).

Reactions: gldy_b
Hi All.
I've just purchased a stock S5 Sportback and due to pick up sept 1st. I want to check if it's a MY18 vehicle. When I have registered it within myAudi.com it shows as Model Year 2017. Anyone else registered on my Audi with a MY18 car that can confirm what it's shows as online. It doesn't state a build date. Cheers R

So I went into the dealership today to finalise my paperwork for collection of my S5 SB next Friday and spoke to the Sales Manager who said that cars produced after the 23/8/17 will have different co2 figures (I'm guessing higher) and will attract the relevant charges. Anything prior to that will remain at the old figures (S5 will remain at 170 g/km).

That's really bad. If the CO2 climbs above 170 which it surely will, in a country like Ireland that means the tax rate on the new car rises by 3% so an S4 for example would go from a retail price of €70K to €72K and the road tax from €570 a year to €750. It mightn't seem like huge price increases, but it would leave the BMW 440i say in the lower band and makes that car a lot more attractive suddenly.

Hi All.
I've just purchased a stock S5 Sportback and due to pick up sept 1st. I want to check if it's a MY18 vehicle. When I have registered it within myAudi.com it shows as Model Year 2017. Anyone else registered on my Audi with a MY18 car that can confirm what it's shows as online. It doesn't state a build date. Cheers R

Heres what I found on pistonheads about my17 to 18 changes.
Not much on S5..

Can't vouch for the providence of the data..
Here's the thread..if true, you don't miss out on anything... apart from the led rings displayed on the ground when you open the doors...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=1630375&i=3200

IMG 0597

Heres what I found on pistonheads about my17 to 18 changes.
Not much on S5..

Can't vouch for the providence of the data..
Here's the thread..if true, you don't miss out on anything... apart from the led rings displayed on the ground when you open the doors...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=1630375&i=3200

View attachment 134637

Thanks for the info.
Not a fan of those puddle lights anyway so that's no biggy. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any software updates or more obvious interior / exterior changes etc.

Yes I've seen that, according to my dealer yesterday they did not know when production would resume. I ordered a s5 cab on 3rd July, we have not got any info at all at the moment.

Ordered mine in July too, Construction on my order is to start on the 4th December..

Have you ordered a cabriolet or coupe/sport back

Well I've seen it with my own eyes. They are building S5 cabs at Neckarsulm at the moment.

Just got a call from my Audi Dealer that my car is in Emden ready to be shipped A5 Coupe S Line TFSI 190PS (Ordered 28th June) and that it will be coming in with the new CO2 update - but they can't give me a CO2 figure at the moment.

Anyone picking up a new A5/S5 these next few weeks and know whether the CO2 has been changed much? Just need to know for my accountancy purposes.

Just got a call from my Audi Dealer that my car is in Emden ready to be shipped A5 Coupe S Line TFSI 190PS (Ordered 28th June) and that it will be coming in with the new CO2 update - but they can't give me a CO2 figure at the moment.

Anyone picking up a new A5/S5 these next few weeks and know whether the CO2 has been changed much? Just need to know for my accountancy purposes.

You can't sell a vehicle without C02 figures confirmed? I don't believe that your vehicle would of had the update.