S5 and S4 Production Suspended....

I've got a A5 2.0 TFSI which is due to go into build on the 16th July. I know its not the S5, but I wonder if all petrol models are affected

Just read this myself!

I've been really impressed by the economy in my car as the mileage increases.

I'd love to know what “improve comfort and spontaneity” actually means, I know in some of the less dynamic modes there is a bit of lag when you pull away but I don't think it's exclusive to the S models.

I'd be happy with increased fuel consumption and Co2 if it results in a quicker car.... cant see it though!

I have just noticed that the new A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro (252) has had its emissions increased from 141g to 147g. I wonder if this is related to interpretation of standards. There is no change to power or torque.

Hmmm.

I'm in the process of ordering a new S5 Cab (deposit paid, just finalising the spec).

I've test driven two S5s and didn't notice any lag (even in comfort mode). Though maybe a couple of test drives isn't long enough to tell.

West London Audi anyway tell me that they are still ordering S4s and S5s and have heard nothing from Audi and can't get / find any info from Audi on this production suspension.

Hmmmm .... ??

WillLondon, I would advise test one again but from a standing start and treat it if you are pulling onto a busy roundabout, I have also driven new S5's and they lag as well as the S4, But it is to be expected as they have the same engine and gearbox.

I may well. I have an A5 Cab now (TFSI), and I'm wondering how bad the lag on the S5 might be as I didn't notice it. That said the A5 isn't 'instant', I can't say it's ever bothered me, and certainly not enough to call it a lag (albeit I realise it isn't instant as such), which might be why I didn't notice it really in the S5??

Any other (new) S5 owners on here have a view??

I am very concerned that I may have taken delivery of a car that is in breach of current emissions regulations. Audi would not voluntarily suspend production of a vehicle without concerns. Has anybody spoken to Audi UK about this?

I may well. I have an A5 Cab now (TFSI), and I'm wondering how bad the lag on the S5 might be as I didn't notice it. That said the A5 isn't 'instant', I can't say it's ever bothered me, and certainly not enough to call it a lag (albeit I realise it isn't instant as such), which might be why I didn't notice it really in the S5??

Any other (new) S5 owners on here have a view??

Yes, I'm going to be controversial here as there are a number of people that feel quite strongly about this, but it all comes down to the driver mode. In comfort, Auto (if you've been driving gently) and especially in Efficiency the car is lazy when you pull away, no lag, just lazy lol, it almost always wants to pull away in 2nd in the aforementioned modes. I personally drive it in Individual mode with engine and gearbox in Dynamic and have no issues as the gearbox always drops into 1st when you come to a stop, there is no delay or lag when pulling away at all, if I really want to scream away I also nudge the shifter back into Sport which makes everything even more instantaneous.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, awesome car, get it and enjoy it :sm4:

Reactions: Terminator x, Buck and DannyS2810
Conspiracy Theory: They've halted orders of the S5 as they weren't getting enough orders of the RS5 due to the immaterial differences between the two cars and the huge price difference.

Reactions: deanshaw24, Terminator x, Simonb1975 and 2 others
Another conspiracy theory: they accidentally included the emissions cheat software in the new A5 and are trying to remove it secretly before someone finds out :tearsofjoy:

Or the fact that the average MPG figures are waaaaaaaay out! 36mph combinded... pah more like 22-24 MPG.

Really? Are you quoting stated versus real. If you are then have I got news for you...

Or the fact that the average MPG figures are waaaaaaaay out! 36mph combinded... pah more like 22-24 MPG.
I've just done the first 1000 miles on mine and I'm averaging 24mpg. It might go up a bit, but I don't expect any higher then 28-30.
I've had an S8 before and I was doing 18mpg with that, so that is just the way it is.

Only had the car 2 weeks but the reality is it seems so much more economical in comparison to fast 4x4 jeeps and its not going to eat tyres and brakes. You buy this car to try and drive it otherwise just buy the diesel version if you want to be a bean counter

Last edited:
Ok someone has posted on the A4 B9 have been told by AUDI that there are restrictions on the TFSI engine which could lead to a delay on the build of car....

There was an article with more info including a quote from Audi here http://www.motoring.com.au/audi-halts-petrol-a4-and-a5-sales-in-europe-108009/ but it's since been removed

However Google have cached it. The text reads as follows:

Audi halts petrol A4 and A5 sales in Europe
July 14, 2017
story
photos

Embattled German car-maker forced to stop selling volume-selling models including S4 and S5

Audi has been slapped with a Europe-wide stop-sale order on all of its petrol-powered A4 and A5 vehicles, including its high-profile S4 and S5 performance models.

The premium car maker denies it is in a crisis even though it could be forced to stop selling its volume-selling mid-size models for up to two months.

The move leaves Audi in the unenviable position of being unable to legally deliver a petrol-powered model to A4 and A5 buyers exactly when a buyer backlash against diesel engines seemingly gathers steam across Europe.

Software changes to both the 3.0-litre turbocharged V6 in the S4 and S5 pulled them both out of compliance because their fuel consumption went above the officially quoted figures.

Audi claims the software upgrades are intended to smooth out the power delivery of the 260kW/500Nm engines in their Automatic and Comfort modes, while making them more responsive in Dynamic mode.

It was the same basic story on the 2.0-litre TFSI motors in the A4 and A5 sedans, wagons, coupes and convertibles, although for different reasons.

The 2.0-litre TFSI engine’s data has changed because Audi added a mild hybrid system to lower real-world fuel economy. While Audi makes no specific claims for the mild-hybrid system yet, most car-makers figure on it giving a real-world consumption reduction of around 0.7L/100km.

The bewildering part about this mild-hybrid system, which uses a starter-generator in place of the starter motor, is that Audi admits it adds about 0.2L/100km in the European Union’s official New European Driving Cycle (NEDC).

“The 2.0-litre TFSI is a little bit different,” an Audi spokesman said. “The process of bureaucracy is the same one. It got a mild hybrid system and it has also changed the consumption by 0.2 and 0.3 litres per 100km, something like that.

“It’s worse consumption. You don’t have the mild hybrid functioning on the test cycle. You don’t have the effect by just the standard consumption. As a customer you will have the effect and the benefit. It’s worse in the lab but better on the road.”

While Audi cannot comment on what the new figures will be, the spokesman admitted it was still waiting for German government officials to approve the changes.
And because of the way the EU does these things, if the German government is yet to approve the new figures, that stop-sale order applies in all 27 European countries, excluding only Switzerland.

However, with the German government currently unenthusiastic about its car industry’s recent behavior and a looming summer holiday period, Audi admits the process may take between six and eight weeks.

“If you have a change like that you have to tell the traffic authority to certify the process, which needs sometimes four to six weeks. Sometimes it needs two months and we are just in the middle of that process,” an Audi spokesman briefed on the subject explained.

“In the moment you know about having the higher consumption, you need either to stop selling until you have published the new figures and you’re only allowed to sell them after the authorities publish it.

“We didn’t forget to certify it in time. When you test it in the process of getting it ready, and you see the consumption is higher, you have to change the catalogue and everything and tell the authorities.”

The only upside for Audi is that it insists it will recover almost all of its S4 and S5 sales in the long run.

“The volumes are nothing, at least for S4 and S5, because they are not that strong in Europe,” the Audi spokesman insisted.

“Customers are informed that the car is coming two months later, so somebody might change to a four-cylinder instead of an S4, but most people will wait.

“You can theoretically continue to sell the cars, but you have to explain to every single customer that their car is different from what they believed they had ordered, which can cause even more confusion.”

Audi had hoped this week’s launch of the A8 limousine, complete with speed-limited Level 3 autonomy, would help it turn the corner after an awful 18 months.

Since the Dieselgate scandal broke in September 2015, it has seen the entire emissions-cheating software program traced back to its development department, its 3.0-litre V6 TDIs caught cheating in the US and its chairman Rupert Stadler withstand severe pressure to leave the job.

Stadler hired back a Daimler-bound technical director only to sack him over Dieselgate, and was sued by a suspended diesel engineer for wrongful dismissal.​

Last edited:
Interesting stuff!

So I have an order in for an S5 and I have logged in to "Your Audi" just now and the build was due to start on Monday but there are no further updates yet. I've spoken to my dealer and they are still taking orders for the S4 and S5 and he had nothing negative to report. These models have been removed from the Audi.de website and it's also interesting to note that the German authorities made their first arrest at (Ex VW employee) a couple of weeks ago regarding "Dieselgate"!
My S5 will be ready for collection on the 1st September I am told and I will keep you updated should this change.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
No being 'forced to suspend here: "
“If you have a change like that you have to tell the traffic authority to certify the process, which needs sometimes four to six weeks. Sometimes it needs two months and we are just in the middle of that process,” an Audi spokesman briefed on the subject explained.

“In the moment you know about having the higher consumption, you need either to stop selling until you have published the new figures and you’re only allowed to sell them after the authorities publish it.

“We didn’t forget to certify it in time. When you test it in the process of getting it ready, and you see the consumption is higher, you have to change the catalogue and everything and tell the authorities.”
Seem to me they are doing it by the book and the delay is caused by the authorities having to certify the changes, obviously...

Reactions: xpoweruk
Really? Are you quoting stated versus real. If you are then have I got news for you...

I have had performance VAG/Audi cars for the last 20 years and my 415Bhp TTRS could managed 38 mpg on the same run I do to work every day when not "on it" and driving normally. When on it it would be around 26Mpg or slightly more. My S3 8V achieved pretty much the same so I know what "real world" and what Audi states is different but 23 Mpg our of a more advanced engine with more torque etc and driving like an angel on the same route and only getting 24mpg when it reality should be looking at around 32mpg + - Don't give me all that "don't buy this car to save fuel crap!"

Multiple people across many forums have been somewhat "surprised" by the low mpg achieved with "normal" driving and these are usually Audi fans who have had similar or more powerful Audi's before.

I watched a very happy customer pick up his new S5 Sportsback at Newbury Audi yesterday, so any "production suspension" doesn't appear to be impacting actual deliveries :racer:

Running the risk of going completely off topic but my advice to a number of new owners re MPG, is don't even look at it until you've got a few thousand miles under your belts as it changes dramatically as the car is running in.

My S5 will show me an average of 20MPG when I'm in the mood and the roads allow it, 30MPG with mixed driving and low 40's on long motorway runs taking it easy. I've only covered 3k miles and it's night and day different to when I collected it.

Back on topic, has anyone had any update of any delay from the dealership when trying to place orders this week?

Update from me on my S5 which I ordered recently. Just logged into "Your Audi". My car had left Ingolstadt on the train enroute to the port

Thanks, I assume your went into production before the changes? Who knows....

Production start date was Monday but my order was placed before things hit the press.

Running the risk of going completely off topic but my advice to a number of new owners re MPG, is don't even look at it until you've got a few thousand miles under your belts as it changes dramatically as the car is running in.

My S5 will show me an average of 20MPG when I'm in the mood and the roads allow it, 30MPG with mixed driving and low 40's on long motorway runs taking it easy. I've only covered 3k miles and it's night and day different to when I collected it.

I have 6800 miles on the clock as of this morning... not got any better. In fact you could argue worse in the last month or so... I don't have aircon on, I don't drive with the windows/sunroof open when testing, I have tried eco (worse) due to lazy acceleration, Dynamic and a mixture but all seem roughly the same.

The fuel computer seems to go down with the slightest touch of the pedal but travel 2-3 miles looking at the real-time gauge sitting in the 35-40 mpg range it hardly moves upwards from the low 20's.

I think the updates will address this, pulling away in the most gentlest manner hits real time mpg so hard compared to any other performance Audi I have ever owned.

FWIW... my new a5 2.0 TDi is getting around 35mpg on any mode i use.

Little bit concerned that i'm lucky to get past 350 miles on a full tank currently, my previous 13 plate one would get me 430 on average

These are really surprising figures, I get about 38-40 round town in my 2.0 TFSI 190 and hit 57 mpg on a long trek (70mph on cruise in efficiency) down to my parents house in Devon (had <1000 miles on the clock at the time).

Any other TFSI 190 owners hitting those figures? I'm really chuffed, it's no S5 but still feels nippy!

I Emailed Audi UK to ask about delays and they called me about an hour ago, the chap on the phone said he didn't know anything about production delays for the S4/5 and didn't know anything about emission problems.

Cardiff Audi were also unaware of any issues with the S4/5 yesterday when i was there.

Well I paid a deposit for my new S5 a couple of weeks ago but still had to finalise a spec, and was trying to find out about this 'production suspension' stuff I spoke with Audi UK (they've not aware of anything), and the dealership (West London Audi) are still taking orders and getting build dates through etc.. So I agreed the spec and pulled the trigger this morning - so we'll see what happens.

What Audi UK did say was that if anything comes up that may mean a significant delay in vehicle delivery or an issue like product suspension or change in specs does actually materialise then Audi UK would 'support' customers in such a predicament when I mooted a refund of a deposit etc.. Quite what 'support' means is unclear. But I've placed the order and all seems to be in order currently. We'll see what delivery date materialises though in due course...

The S4/S5 have been taken off audi.de German website, if Audi UK don't know anything ask them why that is lol

But yeah, wait and see!! Your order is in, that's the important thing! woop

I have 6800 miles on the clock as of this morning... not got any better. In fact you could argue worse in the last month or so... I don't have aircon on, I don't drive with the windows/sunroof open when testing, I have tried eco (worse) due to lazy acceleration, Dynamic and a mixture but all seem roughly the same.

The fuel computer seems to go down with the slightest touch of the pedal but travel 2-3 miles looking at the real-time gauge sitting in the 35-40 mpg range it hardly moves upwards from the low 20's.

I think the updates will address this, pulling away in the most gentlest manner hits real time mpg so hard compared to any other performance Audi I have ever owned.
I guess without comparing ECU software versions, driving conditions, tyre pressures etc etc it's hard to compare, I stand by my comments of being really impressed with it 3k miles in.

If you're is really that far below expectations perhaps you could take an extended test drive in a comparable car for a couple of days?

For what it's worth mine is a April 17 production S5 Sportback.

These are really surprising figures, I get about 38-40 round town in my 2.0 TFSI 190 and hit 57 mpg on a long trek (70mph on cruise in efficiency) down to my parents house in Devon (had <1000 miles on the clock at the time).

Any other TFSI 190 owners hitting those figures? I'm really chuffed, it's no S5 but still feels nippy!

TFSI 255 doing btn 34 and 50 mpg.

How many miles has your car done to achieve these figures? Mine is still fairly new 900 miles in averaging 32mpg around town - I left my set on Auto mode around town.