S5 4.2 and 3.0t vs e46 m3

M3! Just.........

in dry conditions September I had a play with one I beat it by about a cars length in sport mode but with traction control on.

i reckon with launch control and with traction off I would of put some distance between us. You could hear his s5 over my m3 though, I won't state the speed but it was lights to lights twice . Bloke gave me the thumbs up as we turned different ways ...... I think his was manual too as at the seconds lights he was revving it higher than idle where as mine bein auto i was left at idle :-(.

Put a smile on my face, before you ask incase you was thinking an rs4 b7 beats the m3 by quite a bit.

Sean

Just because I can :)

heres my baby, sadly in storage at the minute with a trickle charger att, as I'm busy with .....

got the lift fitted yesterday , well happy!

Sean

Looks like an old 1800E Volvo on the ramp??!

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Just because I can :)

heres my baby, sadly in storage at the minute with a trickle charger att, as I'm busy with .....

got the lift fitted yesterday , well happy!

Sean

this is one great looking m3

M3! Just.........

in dry conditions September I had a play with one I beat it by about a cars length in sport mode but with traction control on.

i reckon with launch control and with traction off I would of put some distance between us. You could hear his s5 over my m3 though, I won't state the speed but it was lights to lights twice . Bloke gave me the thumbs up as we turned different ways ...... I think his was manual too as at the seconds lights he was revving it higher than idle where as mine bein auto i was left at idle :-(.

Put a smile on my face, before you ask incase you was thinking an rs4 b7 beats the m3 by quite a bit.

Sean

i had a play with a s5 a while back a 59 plate v8 one and was stuck on his back bumper till silly speeds could have over took him but would have been a bit silly to do so this was in my mtm s3 and recently had a play with a 12 plate one the 3.0 supercharged one he got a jump on me but was reeling him in and he backed off,not yet had a play with a e46 m3 yet that's why I posted as I'm wanting to see how I would fair against a m3

did is have a run with a rs4 and there was two car lengths in it at most all way till he would have hit the limiter I was surprised as thought it would have been more unless this rs4 had some issues and was not 100%

Looks like an old 1800E Volvo on the ramp??!

very well spotted, it is mate! 1972 money pit........ :)

this is one great looking m3
thank you I love it , such a raw car to drive , puts you heart in your throat exiting bends at 80mph back end coming out :-D

i had a play with a s5 a while back a 59 plate v8 one and was stuck on his back bumper till silly speeds could have over took him but would have been a bit silly to do so this was in my mtm s3 and recently had a play with a 12 plate one the 3.0 supercharged one he got a jump on me but was reeling him in and he backed off,not yet had a play with a e46 m3 yet that's why I posted as I'm wanting to see how I would fair against a m3

did is have a run with a rs4 and there was two car lengths in it at most all way till he would have hit the limiter I was surprised as thought it would have been more unless this rs4 had some issues and was not 100%

a lot of rs4's make 350 bhp on dyno, some carbon build up problem iirc but then m3 has been known to only make 330 bhp on dyno!

all I know is I beat the s5 quite easily , rs4 beat me, new m3 wasted me by miles just a beast! Old guy driving it was grinning ear to ear .
your Mtm s3 isn't slow by any shake of a stick so wouldn't be a massive difference getting into an m3 or rs4 for you, probably not worth the cost unless you like the shape or car in particular.

P.s I love the 8l s3 and miss mine like hell .

Sean

Reactions: mjr901

Sean

My mum has one, in yellow, 1970. Been off the road for years, owned it half her life I should think now, completely rusty though!

*edit*

Owned it since 1977, its second owner lol.

She used to take me to school in it, I used to hide, but now I realise it's a proper classic, and when mint, look awesome! Horrific colour though...

Little too late for it now though I think, would need a million quid sunk into it :( which we dont have....So its currently sat in a local farmyard rusting away...

Last edited by a moderator:
My mum has one, in yellow, 1970. Been off the road for years, owned it half her life I should think now, completely rusty though!

*edit*

Owned it since 1977, its second owner lol.

She used to take me to school in it, I used to hide, but now I realise it's a proper classic, and when mint, look awesome! Horrific colour though...

Little too late for it now though I think, would need a million quid sunk into it :( which we dont have....So its currently sat in a local farmyard rusting away...

Very interesting....... Pm me if you want to sell it/ had a price in mind? it's sad to see them in a state. They rot loads though, it took us ages to find a decent one and my dad having OCD has decided it's not good enough and wants to do a full resto on it. Yeh very expensive to restore and hard to get parts.

thats what it looked like before we decided to strip it for resto.......l. Was in good nick overall .

Sean

Very interesting....... Pm me if you want to sell it/ had a price in mind? it's sad to see them in a state. They rot loads though, it took us ages to find a decent one and my dad having OCD has decided it's not good enough and wants to do a full resto on it. Yeh very expensive to restore and hard to get parts.

thats what it looked like before we decided to strip it for resto.......l. Was in good nick overall .

Sean

Looking good there even to be fair!!

Unfortunately she will not let go of the damn thing, it holds alot of memories for her, and she has been pushed and pushed into getting rid of her by the rest of the family, but no, it stays, even if it is a pile of rust.

Once she moves to 'pastures new' though.... it'll be straight up for sale, dont you worry!

I havent any pictures to hand, cars down the road, i personally havent been to see it in years! God knows what she looks like now.

Sod the Audi vs BMW thread haha, taken over by a classic Volvo... ooops! ahh well, car fanatics all the same ..

thank you I love it , such a raw car to drive , puts you heart in your throat exiting bends at 80mph back end coming out :-D

a lot of rs4's make 350 bhp on dyno, some carbon build up problem iirc but then m3 has been known to only make 330 bhp on dyno!

all I know is I beat the s5 quite easily , rs4 beat me, new m3 wasted me by miles just a beast! Old guy driving it was grinning ear to ear .
your Mtm s3 isn't slow by any shake of a stick so wouldn't be a massive difference getting into an m3 or rs4 for you, probably not worth the cost unless you like the shape or car in particular.

P.s I love the 8l s3 and miss mine like hell .

Sean

haha I bet it does mate can't beat rear drive fun

i have read about both rs4 and e46 m3 not making quoted power I read once and got told about a e46 m3 making 300bhp

I love the 8l s3 too mate can't see me ever getting rid of mine

To be honest, the ones not making power figures in both instances are just poorly maintained examples. Mines just had its major service 5500 miles early because I felt it wasn't running spot on now it feels like a different motor.
And rs4 with carbon build up the owners should be aware of it and it should be seen as maintenance IMO . Cars are all money pits!

I bet you've poured enough slap dash into your s3 over ownership........

Still love em. Sean

To be honest, the ones not making power figures in both instances are just poorly maintained examples. Mines just had its major service 5500 miles early because I felt it wasn't running spot on now it feels like a different motor.
And rs4 with carbon build up the owners should be aware of it and it should be seen as maintenance IMO . Cars are all money pits!

I bet you've poured enough slap dash into your s3 over ownership........

Still love em. Sean

yeah that's true mate a lot of cars don't get the attention they require the way I see it the likes of your m3's rs4's and such they are more or less road going race cars so need more looking after than your standard cars

i have that mate it's had full suspension overhaul then the engine dropped a valve so I bought a forged engine from a forum member as well as spare k26 turbo kit and manifold but it's been a hobby for me and love the car

....a standard DSG equipped S3 will keep pace with an (4.2) S5:hi:

Actually when I bought my S3 I tried a 57 plate S5 and was very disappointed, I'm not knocking the 4.2 as it's a lovely engine and why I bought an S4. I have considered replacing the S3 with the Supercharged 3.0Tfsi S4 which is rather dribbletastic

....a standard DSG equipped S3 will keep pace with an (4.2) S5:hi:Actually when I bought my S3 I tried a 57 plate S5 and was very disappointed, I'm not knocking the 4.2 as it's a lovely engine and why I bought an S4. I have considered replacing the S3 with the Supercharged 3.0Tfsi S4 which is rather dribbletastic
The dsg makes a huge difference as does the weight of the s5