1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hi everyone, I am new on here, but was wondering if anyone can compare the s4 and the bmw m3 for me. I am car shopping and have narrowed it down to those two pending a test drive of both. What does everyone think? Also, does anyone know if their will be any changes for 2005 for the s4? thanks for your help.
     
  2. scoTTy

    scoTTy Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2003
    Messages:
    1,962
    Likes Received:
    11
    I haven't driven the M3 as the brand really doesn't appeal to me.

    I've have seen many discussions and most seem to come down to "do you see quattro as a benefit or a hindrance"?

    M3 is slightly cheaper overall I belive (slightly less depreciation and lower fuel costs but no one buys either based just on costs.

    It's a very personal choice so I'd so as you plan to and get out there and drive them.

    I reckon you'll say :

    S4 - noise, trim, grip, etc
    M3 - drivers car, styling.

    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
     
  3. yak

    yak Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    Messages:
    377
    Likes Received:
    0
    scotty, noise, well.. M3's R6 does sound nice too, it's not like V6. Of course V8 has it's own sound too, but I don't know if one is better than the other.

    But then of course, if we could also insert M3 CSL to the option list, oh boy.. (but that's just a track car).

    - Yak
     
  4. DocB

    DocB New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2003
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    [ QUOTE ]
    scoTTy said:

    I reckon you'll say :

    S4 - noise, trim, grip, etc
    M3 - drivers car, styling.

    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    4 doors vs 2 doors can be significant

    And then of course if you want the option of an estate...
     
  5. anthor

    anthor New Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2004
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Wkerat

    I am lucky enough to own both a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic and a 04 M3 Coupe. As has been said earlier in this thread it is not a choice between the cars, but a choice as to what you want out of the car itself. As you can gather I have both because I want what they each have to offer. Try this on for size.

    S4
    +
    Grunty engine note
    2 dogs in the back
    Build quality and class
    4 Wheel drive (need it in scotlands recent weather)
    Easy to drive hard
    -
    Vague-ish steering - does not translate everything from the road(maybe a + on long journeys)
    Non-body coloured side strips

    M3
    +
    Engine note - sounds like a race car, really urgent
    Absolute precision steering - point and shoot
    Driving anywhere is a pleasure, foot on gas = constant grin
    SMG II - Sequential Manual Gearbox thingy - techincally awesome
    Awesome colours/interior trim available(mine is an individual colour combination - lurvely)
    Nice touches (auto lock doors, single door unlock - as std)
    -
    Interior look more practical and not as classy as AUDI
    I'm not driving it right now!!

    Hope this helps, if you need anything else including, dare I say it, a great M3 forum then just let me know.

    Have fun on the test drive(s)

     
  6. Just Plain Old

    Just Plain Old Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    Messages:
    1,265
    Likes Received:
    6
    [ QUOTE ]
    rOcKy_Scot said:
    Hi Wkerat

    I am lucky enough to own both a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic and a 04 M3 Coupe. As has been said earlier in this thread it is not a choice between the cars, but a choice as to what you want out of the car itself. As you can gather I have both because I want what they each have to offer. Try this on for size.

    S4
    +
    Grunty engine note
    2 dogs in the back
    Build quality and class
    4 Wheel drive (need it in scotlands recent weather)
    Easy to drive hard
    -
    Vague-ish steering - does not translate everything from the road(maybe a + on long journeys)
    Non-body coloured side strips

    M3
    +
    Engine note - sounds like a race car, really urgent
    Absolute precision steering - point and shoot
    Driving anywhere is a pleasure, foot on gas = constant grin
    SMG II - Sequential Manual Gearbox thingy - techincally awesome
    Awesome colours/interior trim available(mine is an individual colour combination - lurvely)
    Nice touches (auto lock doors, single door unlock - as std)
    -
    Interior look more practical and not as classy as AUDI
    I'm not driving it right now!!

    Hope this helps, if you need anything else including, dare I say it, a great M3 forum then just let me know.

    Have fun on the test drive(s)



    [/ QUOTE ]

    You are a 'lucky' bugger!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

    MInd telling me the secret? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
     
  7. anthor

    anthor New Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2004
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    DINKY's !! (Double Income, No Kids Yet)

    Although, had to avoid the subject of kids by buying her 2 dogs and a soft top so far! Don't know how much longer I can hold out....

    eeeek
     
  8. Just Plain Old

    Just Plain Old Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    Messages:
    1,265
    Likes Received:
    6
    [ QUOTE ]
    rOcKy_Scot said:
    DINKY's !! (Double Income, No Kids Yet)

    Although, had to avoid the subject of kids by buying her 2 dogs and a soft top so far! Don't know how much longer I can hold out....

    eeeek

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Well hurry up and 'breed' before I die of envy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

    PS

    Are you having problems with the throttle on your S4?
    See my thread "S4 Problem".
    Cheers
     
  9. anthor

    anthor New Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2004
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just to clarify it is a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic. No problems apart from a brief spell of 'amber engine maintenance light' illumination, which was fixed on the spot after a quick diagnostics.

    No, no , no breeding!!!!
     
  10. Just Plain Old

    Just Plain Old Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    Messages:
    1,265
    Likes Received:
    6
    [ QUOTE ]
    rOcKy_Scot said:
    Just to clarify it is a 04 S4 Avant Tiptronic. No problems apart from a brief spell of 'amber engine maintenance light' illumination, which was fixed on the spot after a quick diagnostics.

    No, no , no breeding!!!!


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Mines a 03 S4 Saloon, manual with AMD stage 3 MOD
    The problem might not occur with the Tiptronic, I'm not sure. It's related to the Fly by wire throttle.
     

Share This Page