S4 turns over but no spark :(

johawt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm kinda in the dumps right now and need some help. I have a 2000 s4 that turns over but won't start, this happened randomly and for no apparent reason. I've tried un hooking the battery as a friend said but that didn't help. I'm wondering if this is common and what the possible problems could be. A few ideas have been tossed around mainly that it could be the ecu... or a sensor. Other than that I'm lost and some insight from you guys will help a lot. Thanks!!

You need to find out if the ECU is TRYING to spark and cant, or if its not bothering to do anything. Are you getting any fuel?

My first step would be to hook vagcom up to the ECU and see what it says, as that will undoubtedly help you track down the fault.

buy a vagcom lead?

They aint dear, only about 10-15bucks on ebay and that will get you started.

Thinking about it, the chances of both coil drivers failing is slim, so it would probably suggest the ecu isnt trying to spark. You might find a failed crank sensor would produce that result, although from previous cars i've had, a faulty crank sensor wouldnt stop it running as long as it had a camshaft sensor fitted.

Vagcom would be a good place to start though, if it can talk to the ecu then you can look at what the sensors are doing, if it cant then you know its either a dead ecu or a wiring fault.

I didn't really look, there's a lot of things poping up but I didn't notice a key. What really sucks is that I don't even have it near me... of course my problem happened visting grandma an hour away :/

Immo probs allow the car to start still, but cut out immediatly afterwards

Did you check all the fuses as there are fuses for the ECU/pump etc

check all fuses, then pull a plug after trying to start it, see if it smell of fuel
if not its a fuel issue, if it smell of fuel then its a sprk issue
crank sensor? coil packs or ecu

Well we finally got it home to where we'll be able to work on it. Haha What a pain in the @$$ tryin to load it in the trailer! it being lowered messed us up I don't even know how many times, it kept bottoming out... finally got it in and got it home. I think we're gonna be working on it tomorrow. Over a handfull of codes poped so those are getting run down then we're goin from there. Oh, my friend took the ecu out of his same year a6 and threw it in mine... it didn't start so idk if that's a bad thing or not yet. I'll keep you guys posted though. thanks for the advice so far!!!

p1458, 17866, p1606, 18014, p1569, 17977, p0322, 16706. oh and idk if this will help but the same day when all this started on the way down I tried setting the cruise control but it wouldn't work.

hmmm... good to know, I think you just saved me alot of time :) I'm off but will update tomorrow with what the plan is. Night:lazy:

crank sensor is a fantastic reason for it not to spark. go go GO!

ok so we're over here looking at it and there isn't much space to get down in there. You guys know the easiest way to get at it? The end is in sight!:rockwoot:

Well guys, mission complete :beerchug: it was that sensor and I'll be having a new one in the car in a few hours once the part's in. Thanks so much for the help and advice, I couldn't have done it without ya. :anbet: haha I'll be posting up some pics one I get er all clean.

ive only recently got my s4, ive done a few jobs but ive not even seen where teh crank sensor would be. ive changed a couple on golfs in the past and theyre a PIG to get to. on an s4 id imagine its actually impossible :p