1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 Tiptonic Yea or Nay?

Kuru Dec 17, 2004

1. Kuru

Kuru New Member

I am a staunch supporter of the standard gearbox, and there was a point in my life when I didn't think that I could ask this question. However the reality of it is that Boston, Mass traffic just plain sucks. Unfortunately these days I find that I am in a traffic situation more often than I am afforded the luxury of real spirited driving opportunities.

I was curious as to everyone's opinion of the performance of the tiptronic's "manual" mode and if it even comes close to the amount of greater control one has when using a manual....certainly there will be a compromise, but I was wondering if the tiptronic option was even worth considering.

Thanks in advance

2. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

The tiptronic is quite good not bad at all. I too am in traffic alot and its much nicer and more relaxing than doing a million gear changes a day to and from work! You will never get the same feel of downshifting and using the engine to brake as you do with manual but it is pretty good! I have no complaints what so ever. Nice when you wanna floor it from the lights too!

3. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 quattro Black Edition s tronic

I'm 42, my knees are wrecked, & I can't operate a clutch any more. for me, Tiptronic is just wonderful. Manual control, and no clutch.

Perfect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

4. K212

K212 Member

Has anyone installed the GIAC tiptronic chip that allows for quicker shifting? I have tip too and its unbelievably helpful when commuting to and from work!

5. kwinders

kwinders New Member

I just took my 02 S4 into Colorado Mountains and I could not wipe the smile off my face. I have the tiptronic with the sifting on the steering wheel. My girlfriend kept telling me she was getting sick but i could not stop going faster and pushing it harder. I never had to hit the brakes just down shifted with the push of a button. I love the tiptronic for fun and my everyday driving to and from work.

6. imported_kraller

imported_kraller Guest

i dont have a s4 but i have driven the S4 tip and the 6-speed, I would agree that the trip would be way better to just mash the gas and go but I do like the 6-speed. there is also a sport shift option that it comes with that is pretty interesting I had a lot of fun with it. but again i am pretty young (17) and I would say go with the 6-speed, lots more fun to me at least.