1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 Tiptonic Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Kuru, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Kuru

Kuru New Member

[Dec 17, 2004]
    I am a staunch supporter of the standard gearbox, and there was a point in my life when I didn't think that I could ask this question. However the reality of it is that Boston, Mass traffic just plain sucks. Unfortunately these days I find that I am in a traffic situation more often than I am afforded the luxury of real spirited driving opportunities.

I was curious as to everyone's opinion of the performance of the tiptronic's "manual" mode and if it even comes close to the amount of greater control one has when using a manual....certainly there will be a compromise, but I was wondering if the tiptronic option was even worth considering.

Thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

[Dec 17, 2004]
    The tiptronic is quite good not bad at all. I too am in traffic alot and its much nicer and more relaxing than doing a million gear changes a day to and from work! You will never get the same feel of downshifting and using the engine to brake as you do with manual but it is pretty good! I have no complaints what so ever. Nice when you wanna floor it from the lights too!
  4. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 19, 2004]
    I'm 42, my knees are wrecked, & I can't operate a clutch any more. for me, Tiptronic is just wonderful. Manual control, and no clutch.

Perfect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. K212

K212 Member

[Dec 19, 2004]
    Has anyone installed the GIAC tiptronic chip that allows for quicker shifting? I have tip too and its unbelievably helpful when commuting to and from work!
  6. kwinders

kwinders New Member

[Dec 23, 2004]
    I just took my 02 S4 into Colorado Mountains and I could not wipe the smile off my face. I have the tiptronic with the sifting on the steering wheel. My girlfriend kept telling me she was getting sick but i could not stop going faster and pushing it harder. I never had to hit the brakes just down shifted with the push of a button. I love the tiptronic for fun and my everyday driving to and from work.
  7. imported_kraller

imported_kraller Guest

[Dec 26, 2004]
    i dont have a s4 but i have driven the S4 tip and the 6-speed, I would agree that the trip would be way better to just mash the gas and go but I do like the 6-speed. there is also a sport shift option that it comes with that is pretty interesting I had a lot of fun with it. but again i am pretty young (17) and I would say go with the 6-speed, lots more fun to me at least.