1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 running in

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by Maughold, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Maughold

Maughold New Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    Hi. Looking for some advice. Have just ordered an S4 Avant. Was wondering what the thoughts on running in strategy are? Will be itching to see what the car can do but presume there should be a period of breaking in. Any guidance welcomed. Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. riggssuzuki

riggssuzuki Active Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    No such thing as running in anymore.
  4. Molnboman

Molnboman Well-Known Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    Really?.....I always take it easy for abit on any new petrol or diesel engine....guess it's my age! hahaha I just can't force myself to red line it tell a couple of thou on the clock. Like to think that anything mechanical need a certain amount of tiume to settle in....old school me! hahaha
    Good luck with your new purchase....Lucky Geezer!
  5. Maughold

Maughold New Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    I'm not sure what's best. Guess will try and take it easy for a bit but no doubt will redline it within 15 yards of the showroom!! Will report lessons learned...Hopefully not a smoky picture and a sad looking Audi!
    Doesnt arrive til March so some more obsessing to do...
  6. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    I was always told with my last two new ones that you should drive it like you stole it to keep it loose.Sounds alien to me, so on my first i took it easy for the first thousand, and on my second drove it like a twat.Didnt notice any differance.However having seen that megafactory tv programme on athe R8 when they ran the engine till the manifold went red im not so sure that they have to be run in!
  7. White220

White220 White 220

[Dec 19, 2012]
    Rumour has it that S models are tested at the factory. My S4 came with a mileage I questioned. Even if you get yours with a standard <10miles delivery mileage you will never know what mode your car was driven in before you get the keys! I don't drive like a loon anyway but the car has been driven like AUDI intend from collection. That is sleeper until provoked ;)
  8. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    limiter from cold from the dealer handover, there is a warrenty for a reason
  9. S4 Phantom

S4 Phantom Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    I own a ducati and a TVR, so I tend to be more mechanical sympathetic. The dealer said you don't need to run-in, but I drove below 3000rpm for the first 1000 miles and gradually push the engine more. I have never thrash it when the engine is cold. But that is just me.

Result is i have only needed to top up half a litre of oil for the past two years (20,000miles). I still have the complimentary mobile oil that they gave me when I picked up the car.
  10. riggssuzuki

riggssuzuki Active Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    Most engines are pre run I think.
  11. Daggerit

Daggerit Active Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    That's what I've heard as well. That said, I never thrash the engine until it's warmed up a bit... As a very minimum I'll wait until the water is up to temperature. :)

Friend has a TVR and he always waits until the oil hits 60 degrees before he gives it the beans, just in case!
  12. JudderMan

JudderMan Active Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    My fiance used to work near where the Audis (and other cars) would get dropped off from the ship in Newcastle and I'd constantly see them getting nailed to the car park about a mile up the road. They had all the protective stuff covering different parts of the cars. Chances are your car has been thrashed even before you've sat in it. Personally, I'd take it easy for the first 1,000 miles and try and vary the engine speed/load of the engine ie. not just motorway or town driving. Oil changes are more important, IMO; I hate the fact that some new cars have 20,000 miles before their first oil change, it's pure madness.
  13. Daggerit

Daggerit Active Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    I completely agree. Mine is about 10-11k planned according to the MMI and I'm not hugely impressed with even that to be honest but since I'm on the service plan I won't complain too much.
  14. Audi Dynamik

Audi Dynamik Well-Known Member

[Dec 19, 2012]
    When i get New Cars i like to leave it a couple of thousands miles before i start racing around, I always make sure the engine is up to normal temperature (90). Also after a couple of thousands miles it will start to use less oil and and feel abit faster and go abit further and fuel after it has been loosen up abit. I always use Shell V Power Fuels aswell.
  15. longp2

longp2 Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    Just drive it! But make sure it's warmed up before you really nail it.
    I've had mine since May and didn't really stick to a specific running in period, with no adverse effects.
  16. Maughold

Maughold New Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    Thanks for the opinions. Can't wait to get it!
  17. Necroscope

Necroscope Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    I've never brought into the bo**ox of nail from when its new to make it a quick engine, what a load of ****.

IIRC there is something in the manual about keeping it below a certain rpm for a certain milage.

Regardless whatever you do now (within limits) isnt going to benefit you, unless you keep the car for a decade, its going to be the next owner that benefits/suffers. Which unfortnatly is enough for most to forget all forms of mechanical sympathy and rag it from day one.

Either way, enjoy your car (however that may be) :)
  18. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    my first nova did 204k miles from new of ragged from cold, oil changed every 10k, when the engine was opened it was mint
  19. Necroscope

Necroscope Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    They just dont make 'em like they use too.

Anyway, are you the exception or the rule?