1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4/RS4 Rear disc conversion kit,

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 Paul, Jan 30, 2009.

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

After looking at my rear brakes through the wheels ive been thinking could i help my poor stopping power by looking at these too?
    I have noticed from time to time a guy an Ebay lists a 300mm (ish) rear disc set up for the 8l S3 , I wish i had saved the link but... its basicaly a pair of rear RS4 discs i think he said although i think they turned out to be S4 items re drilled to 5x100 pcd and a mounting bracket to space your rear calliper out to the correct diameter.
    The before and after pictures did look realy good and like factory but better ( which i like) but does anybody think this would work?
    The kit was about £300 pounds, I am a CNC programmer/ setter so making the discs and even the braket seems not too taxing an option...
  2. Mr.G

Mr.G Active Member

I cant see why it wouldn't work paul. Bigger discs with a machined spacer to bring the caliper out makes perfect sense.

I once had an RB5 on which i purchased Peter Solbergs actual Alcon calipers from his then WRC car. Bought them off someone local to me after a visit to prodrive, paid around £900 for a 335mm disc, spacer for the caliper and the titanium one piece 4 pots.

The brakes were loud/sqeeky and rattled as the pad had no spring mechanism to tension the pad and stop it from moving about a few mm inside the caliper but boy did they work. Best brakes on a car i've ever used. When i had them fitted i had to do an emergency stop to test them, the back end of the car almost (felt like) it lifted off the floor. Needless to say i had some rears done shortly after! LOL

I'd be interested in the progression of this, think the S3 standard setup is ****! You could be the one to change that for a reasonable price! :)

G
  3. HTC

HTC Active Member

Poor stopping power? You have Brembos. You not happy with them?

I don't think you will find much improvement. the majority of the weight is at the front under braking.
  4. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

yes i have the brembo kit up front but it just feels like im trying to stop a bus after the 2nd or 3rd big stop on say a track day or just a spirited drive.
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I've personally not experience fade with my Brembo GT set up, and my 19" rims weigh a ton, including a few track sessions. I do have ECS stage 1 rears fitted now though, and they probably made bit of a difference, personally think that with the Brembo's, a better choice of Pad is a better investment than to fork out for the larger rears.
  6. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

JOJO,
    do you use the brembo pads?
    Have you replaced them with anything else?
    Ive tryed mintex standard replacements.ferrodo ds2500 and now ebc red stuff.
    To be honest the standard mintex ones didnt do bad at the price as they felt almost as good as the EBC but died faster.
  7. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

The standard Brembo GT pads are made by Galfer, you need to get some heat into them before they start working 100% from my experienced, but I managed to warp a pair of the drilled disks after 1k miles after a session at Rockingham Circuit(heavy braking circuit). Now running solid LCR disks and a budget brand pad(don't remember the name), and had the stupid dirt shields removed for better cool, no fade at all, but I would say braking is not as good as the OE Galfer pads, hence I think a set of decent pads makes all the difference. I'm going for the Ferrodo ones next.
  8. scoobyra

scoobyra It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Paul, not wishing to hijack the thread but....

Would you be able to make me some adaptor brackets to fit some Mitsibishi Evo Brembo Claipers to my S3??

They aren't radial mount so I need what looks like a c shaped adaptor that bolts up to the original caliper mount. It has a step in it which enables it to provide the correct caliper spacing.

I can provide a (rough) drawing and measurements and the first adapter will be a 'suck it and see' affair as I will need to play around with it to make sure everything lines up ok.

Thanks Mike