S4, RS4 engine swap out.

doeboy

Reaction score
Thinking about this for my A4,b5 2.8 Quattro.

I know someone had transplanted a S4 engine before. Is it as simple as a straight swap? i expect not, if so what else needs to be done, other than brakes upgrade? Ecu remap or replacement Ecu?

What about an Rs4 b5 engine? is there anything thats not quite compatable with my a4 is pre facelift. I presume the b4 RS4 engines are as rare as hens teeth too.

looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-S4-QUATT...ryZ10372QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Im sure the RS4 engine is silly money to get hold off therefore not really woth the effort.

Well you will need all the running gear as the drive shafts will not fit the 2.8 you will also need the clocks and that’s means the whole wiring loom so at the end of the day it just is not worth it unless you pick the parts up real cheap.

selling my 2.8, what for the £1800 it went to on ebay the other day? spend another 6 grand on an S4. Not an option.

some ones come up for £6.5k now and again. so 4.7k it would net cost to upgrade to an s4, and if you do it yourself probably 3k in parts and a lot of down time. if i were you save and wait the prices will keep coming down.

do the math

engine £1,500
ecu and wiring £500
driveshafts £200?
gearbox £1,000
uprated suspension and brakes £2,500
dashpod £500
exhaust £600
bolting it all together £2,000

finding out it'd be cheaper to just buy a proper one, priceless

at the end of the day if you can't afford to play with the big misters then don't play with the big misters

I don;t want to be rude, but if you are asking questions like "will an RS4 engine fit in my 2.8 shell" then you probably shouldn't be considering it.
Don;t get me wrong, I am all for the freedom of expression in changing vehicles, but you should do some research and look at the costs involved and the viability of the changes you are going to make.

I have an engine swap to do, but will be doing it myself, the bulk of the work involved will be done by me and therefore the costs very low.

to strip an engine out and refit a dash, clocks and loom in order to upgrade and engine into a shell that currently carries a different spec is a mammoth task that I would only take on if it was a second car.

slapping a turbo/s-charger on your existing motor is no mean feat but is childs play compared to what you propose.

you will be spening a shed load more than £6k on parts alone trying to get an RS4 block into your car.
Go to RS246 and PM Grizz, he is doing a full RS4 conversion to an S4. big job, but he runs his own garage!

Absolutely MAD to do the upgrade, just buy an S4. If you have any intention of upgrading the turbos in the S4 (unless you are good enough/patient enough to find one with K04's ready fitted) but an RS4.

I have spent a total of nearly 40k on my car. Sure it will kill even a stage 3 MTM RS4... but its resale value is worth half that and it does not have the status.

Dont even consider the upgrade, unless an engine, loom, gearbox and ECU fall into your lap for peanuts

i forgot diffs, intercoolers, lambdas, EGTs, wishbones and associated suspension components, uprated fuel pump, aircon parts (i would imagine), even a bigger battery, the list just goes on and on and then you have the hassle of insuring the thing with so many mods from standard

Hello guys,

IF youre prepared to spend money on the car to do the upgrade, then just buy a remapped one with some K04's already on there when youve saved some cash.

You will need money to run the car. These cars dont come cheap. Problems will creep up on you and your wallet. So you will need spare money to be able to maintain the car otherwise you wont be able to drive it or risking it suffereing even more problems. If turbos go on the car, youre looking to spend £4000 at least to have it sorted out. And they cca go anytime if they are the stock ones.

Also that link you found from ebay. I wouldnt buy from there after seeing his advertising and what he says about the engine. I wouldnt trust that guy with a bargepole.

Hello Leon and shineydave, I just found this site now. Didnt know you guys were on here.