S4 rear calipers seized

SonicDeathmonkey

Reaction score
Looks like the rear calipers are seized. Going into garage to sort out on Monday.

How much work is usually involved in refurbing a pair of rear calipers?

Depends how badly siezed and what damage there is to the piston or handbrake mechanism.

If the pistons away or the handbrake mechanism is siezed, i'd just replace the caliper.

see if audi do new ones on an exhange basis

So the local garage replaced both rear discs and pads, and found the rear "excitor" ring was snapped in half.

Whole lot cost me £190. I don't know if that's good or not, but I am happy to pay it if the car is back to normal. Oh, and the rear passenger wheel bearing was shot too. They're changing that tomorrow. I knew it was on it's way out, so kill two birds with one stone.

how much they doing the bearing for mate as its got to be pressed out aint they.

So the breakdown on costs is:

2 rear discs £38.78
Pagid rear pads £14.09
ABS CV Joint Rear £41.07
Labour £102.81

Rear wheel bearing kit £35.65
Labour £61.69

Does that sound about right? I am well happy with the result. Car back to normal.

On another note, my mate at the garage said he saw "just the car for me", the other day. A stolen recovered RS4 '07 saloon. Was red but whoever stole it sprayed it silver with aerosol! Car went to breakers for 10K!

labour is a touch high on the first bit seeing that most of that work was required anyway to change the wheel bearing unless you went on two seperate occasions or to two seperate garages

was two jobs, unfortunately. When they phoned to say it was ready for first job, they gave me an advisory saying the bearing needed doing on the other side, so i said get it done. I knew it was on its way out, should have told them.

I would imagine once they were wound in and the new pads and discs meant they werent going out too far to stick this time