S4 Power Loss.......

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Happened to me twice now! Driving along, engine temp etc upto 'normal', drop her down a cog or two, foot down to overtake and hardly any power! Car boosting to 5psi max. Pull over, turn off engine, restart. Set off, foot down and now all power back and boosting to 10psi then quickly drops to 6-8 psi.

initially i though 'f' hose or spider hose, but when i restart the car its fine. like i say, only happend twice in a week now???

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

limp mode? maybe a leak that shows at pressure, take some vagcom readings

i think limp mode restricts to 3-5psi, but seeing as your boosting higher sometimes you probably have a leak dude. Check your throttle body hose and dv's 1st
Also wind the window down, stick your head out and see if you can hear any loud air noises while giving her some and changing gear

Olly_K said:
i think limp mode restricts to 3-5psi, but seeing as your boosting higher sometimes you probably have a leak dude. Check your throttle body hose and dv's 1st
Also wind the window down, stick your head out and see if you can hear any loud air noises while giving her some and changing gear

Dv's i replaced 3 months ago when i got the car with 710N's. I've never checked my TBB as it looks new and i remember the garage telling me that it had been recently replaced before i bought the car. But, again i will check them both.

As for the air noise when changing gear, I have modified my air intake box, so i can hear some air being released due to the modification. Plus, I'm a little hard of hearing so maybe I need a small mate to fit under the bonnet whilst i drive!

Going away the Fri to Spain for 2 weeks :)beerchug:)..on my OWN...(to visit my mother and have my own mobile cottage..for free!) so its party time! (well, its a different postcode ain't it!) and leaving the car with my old man...seeing he is wanting to buy one since i got mine! Maybe he will cough up and get the car sorted?!
wishful thinking I guess!

If there was a leak would the car still boost normally for over 200 miles and then the next day when i start it and drive it, its on low boost??

I do overtake alot (not always dropping a gear though!) and not at stupid speeds but the main road where i live is sh*t for traffic and sunday drivers!

Mmm... certainly sounds like limp mode. When I had an air leak (F-Hose) I found that sometimes it would accelerate as normal. It quickly got worse though and I soon had it all the time. lucky I didnt kill the turbos - take it easy till you sort the problem. One of those turbos over spins it will run the bearing and you will have a 4-5k bill on your hands :S

S4_dan said:
Happened to me twice now! Driving along, engine temp etc upto 'normal', drop her down a cog or two, foot down to overtake and hardly any power! Car boosting to 5psi max. Pull over, turn off engine, restart. Set off, foot down and now all power back and boosting to 10psi then quickly drops to 6-8 psi.

initially i though 'f' hose or spider hose, but when i restart the car its fine. like i say, only happend twice in a week now???

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan
Have you checked the MAF ?. This can cause this type of problem

You have to take the F-Hose OFF and twist it to see the tear!!