S4 - First clay bar.

xs2man

Reaction score
Well, as some of you may know, my S4 has been up for sale for a while. Having just found out about a new job, I am no longer so worried if she sells or not. That being the case, this weekend is the final weekend she will be up for sale. Got a couple guys coming round. Had one round last night, so thought I'd better get her cleaned up a little.

Well, inevitably I ran out of time. He arrived before I could wax/polish her, but just after it had its first clay bar taken over her (certainly in my possession, but likely ever), and the first time I've ever used one. Anyway, so here is a "wee" write up of what I did. This is my first post in this section, so go easy. And she will be picture heavy.

So, first things first, what are we dealing with here?

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

And that wasn't even that long ago she had her last wash. Filthy. So, first off, a wee snow foam with Meguires Hyper Wash.

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg
IMG_1943.jpg

Then that was rinsed off before hitting with a wash mitt, again, with MHW, using the famed 2 bucket method.

IMG_1947.jpg

Not much point in taking photos at this stage I thought. Anyway, so after that was done, I hit the wheels with Meguires Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. Pretty good stuff.

IMG_1948.jpg

So she was looking relatively clean after this:

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Thought I'd see if I could get a better pic than I already have of the damaged wing.

IMG_1956.jpg

Anyway, it was then time to move onto the claying operation. Well, I always do my car cleaning shopping last minute. As such, and the fact I wasn't anywhere near Polished Bliss, or any other good stockists, I was reduced to whatever they had in Halfords. So it was Some Meguires clay kit I bought.

IMG_1960.jpg

Having never used any clay kit before, I was a bit unsure on how I was meant to use it. Anyway, I can only assume it was correctly as after my first panel, the clay looked like this:

IMG_1962.jpg

And after doing the whole car, it looked like this:

IMG_1963.jpg

So, I then proceeded to take some more photos post clay:

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

Then the guy showed up to see the car.

After he left, it was too dark, so tucked her up in the garage for the night.

This afternoon, I went out and hit her with Meguires NXT Generation Tech Wax Spray. I quite like this stuff. Its easy to use, and I got good results.

Couldn't be bothered going out and taking some good finished pics though, as even though I only spent about 4 hours in total getting here, it feels like almost 2 days, lol. Just gonna sit down and have a couple beers. I have found a spot to take photos close by though, so hopefully, if the weather is good, I'll be out and get them photos, and upload them here.

This evening, with the help of a few beers, I shall also start on the inside. Nothing exciting, just a hoover, polish, some leather cleaner, then leather treatment. Will try to get some pics of that too.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Lovely motor you have there mate...the S4 is a car I'd like to own, but the V8 and running costs put me off.

Don't forget your tire dressing :)

G

Yeah, never really been a fan of tyre dressing, but I may see if I have any kicking about.

Running costs aint THAT bad. No different from a V6 really, and only marginally worse than a 2.0T.

What is it you don't like about tire dressing? If it's the glossy finish it leaves there are various other products and methods of applying it you could try for a more matt finish.

If you haven't checked these sites out do so...

Polished Bliss
CleanYourCar

XS2man. to save your clay bay from getting trashed like that you should use tardis on your lower seals, arch lips and lower bumpers this way you will prolong the life of your clay bar.

Yeah, been up to Polished Bliss before. Nice bunch of freindly guys.

As for the Tardis. I was wanting to try that stuff too. Problem was, as explained, I was stuck with what I could get in Halfords at the time.

If she doesn't sell this weekend, she is going into the painters tomorrow anyway. And then I'll be ordering up a DA and some other product I think. At some point. Got a few other, more important plans to come first. To be honest, im not really that OCD about cleaning my car, but may be nice to have some good stuff knocking about for when I am bored enough.

As promised. Some finished pics.

Now it wasn't really the best morning to be taking pics, having rained last night / this morning, and my camera ran out of juice after about 4 pics. D'oh. So had to use my Blackberry for the rest. Anyway, here we go:

Camera pics:

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

And then no juice. Phone pics:

IMG-20110326-00060.jpg

IMG-20110326-00061.jpg

IMG-20110326-00062.jpg

IMG-20110326-00063.jpg

IMG-20110326-00064.jpg

IMG-20110326-00065.jpg

IMG-20110326-00066.jpg

Interior:

IMG-20110326-00068.jpg

IMG-20110326-00069.jpg

IMG-20110326-00067.jpg

Angus-20110326-00070.jpg

Angus-20110326-00072.jpg

Angus-20110326-00073.jpg

Angus-20110326-00078.jpg

Angus-20110326-00071.jpg

And finally, the bits that **** me off on the car:

Angus-20110326-00080.jpg

Angus-20110326-00081.jpg

Angus-20110326-00079.jpg

Angus-20110326-00077.jpg

Thats about it for this session. Comments welcome, good or bad...

Good goin mate! I clayed the misus's runaround today- what a pain in the **** that was! You seemed to be actually picking up stuff in the clay.

I used some tardis before and I didn't pick up much. I could see bits on the paint but it wasn't seeming to come off? Can't have used too much lube?

Did you apply any pressure when claying, Im quite sure your not meant to. Wifes car has defo not been clayed before btw, maybe just the cleanest car around ??!

P.S. If I had the funds, I'd take the car off you for sure!

HAHA i love the fact you got bits that **** you off about the car. Same as me, I have bits that **** me off too.

Pi Quattro, yes, I did use a "little" pressure when it was required. But not much. For the most part, I just kept going over the same bit over and over until it felt smooth, if it was initially rough. Like I said, it was my first attempt, and, well, I should have read up somewhere how to actually use the stuff rather than just read the box and crack on. Now its done though, I can see the need for using a DA and getting some cutting on the go. There are a few swirl marks present now.

drefeelgood, well, I figured there was no point in hiding it. The car aint perfect, and thats why I was only asking £8k for her. And, tbh, I did mention all them bits whenever advertising it. Probably why I got so little interest, along with the V8 I should imagine. But I'd hate to think someone had travelled a long distance to come see it, them be totally disappointed when they arrived. Rather get it out in the open from the start.

Anyway, she should be in the painters pretty soon. And that should get most of it fixed. I am unsure about that "L-shaped" scratch though, its in the rear door, so when speaking to the painter, he said it really depends on how far you want to take it, as to do it right, with the wing on that side anyway, you could be as well doing the whole side of the car.

Not sure how fixable the burn is either. If it can just be patched, great, but then the leather around it is 8 years old almost, so colour match there too. If it aint good, I may have to re-trim the lot. But that will be going black then, then I'll have to change seatbelts and stuff too.

You on here as well Stuart, You don't half get about :laugh:

Edit: Different user name on here. Raitkens83

Last edited:
I'm all over the place mate. Just wherever I have / want a car, lol.

Having 2 Audis probably helps for being on here though.