S4 facelift model???

j033y

Reaction score
on from my last post regarding s4 vs b6 3.0 i am reading more and more into s4's.

Reading this website http://www.infobarrel.com/Audi_S4_(B5) it states there was a facelift version during 2001?

Now when searching the second hand market i rarely find a 2000 model and don't think i have ever found a 2001 model. Am i missing the point, was there a "facelift" version around this time. after looking at photos of 1999/2000 i can't see any visual differences, unless they are tiny!!

So am I missing the point here, is there a facelift version, if so what did they do?

Also does the S4 have xenons and cruise control per the link above as standard?

cheers guys!:s4addict:

The facelift was in 1999, and was across the whole B5 model range.

All S4's have xenons afaik. Cruise was an optional extra.

Pre-facelift have a slightly different grille, two piece headlamps, different door handles, different rear bumper, different interior.

I think articles that states that there was a facelift in 2001 is probably referring to the American market where they received the facelift version later than us in UK.

You'll also find info. on the changes here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=548541&postcount=20

Although the picture shown is a facelift A4, I'd imagine that the S4 will also have all those changes.

I think the first facelift S4s appeared at the end of 1999 so on a V plate. There are
plaenty of threads around telling you how to spot the difference (door handles,
centre console etc.)

Have a look on Parkers mate, they list all the gubbins that came as Standard and options etc, also states from what date each was available.

According to Parkers, the S4 was built from Oct'97 to Aug'01 with the 2.7 Bi-Turbo lump then from Jul'03 with the 4.2 V8 lump. No mention there of a face lift in 2001. Any you are right, plenty of '98/'99 models around, not many '00's and even less '01's :(

Few weeks ago I saw one S4 and it was 2001 so there are some S4 on 2000-2001 but people hardly sell them :)

My S4 is April 1999 and its totally different then other S4
Specially the rear bumper :)

Late model S4's are rare but there are some on a 2001 plate. They have a different
engine code because of newer emissions laws (they have 4 O2 sensors like the RS4 and
some slightly different plumbing). Depends if you like paying road tax I guess.....

Simplest way to tell is that the clock in the dash is digital on the facelift and analogue on the pre-facelift.

Most important changes are that the facelift have vented rear discs and different exhaust manifolds that are less likely to drop bits into your turbos.

The engine differences mentioned above came in 2001 and there are very few 2001 S4s around.

I've got a Nov 2000/X S4 Avant for sale in the classifieds on here.....

Ah but Duncan, what about the 99.5 model(******* child of both pre and post facelift)? It had many facelift parts but still had an analogue clock.