S4 Engine Swap - Avant Rebuild

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My brother Craig baught Will from SRS' Avant shell when he was breaking it earlier in the year. The plan was to transfer the running gear from his own Prefacelift Imola Saloon into the Avant giving him a facelift upgrade and a swap to an avant shell so his dog has somewhere to sit.

So after months of waiting, Craig finally sorts some holidays and comes down to mine to do the swap, in the middle of October, in the ******* rain... We have a week, and need to swap the engine/gearbox, suspension, brakes as well as hopefully refresh all the bushings on the rear of the car.

Taken some pics of progress so far, so i thaught i'd post them up.

Sunday morning, many B5's:

P1040571.JPG

Work Begins around 11am:

P1040572.JPG

P1040573.JPG

By Lunchtime, we had half of the front suspension removed, bumper and lock carrier off, and started on disconnecting all of the engine parts.

P1040574.JPG

P1040575.JPG

P1040576.JPG

By close of play Sunday we had the engine fully disconnected and ready to crane out, and all of the suspension off, as well as the prop and driveshafts, gearlinkage etc.

P1040577.JPG

Monday started with removing the engine itself. As is usual we'd forgotten an earth strap but with that removed, and a jack to support the transmission, we had the engine mostly out by 11am:

P1040578.JPG

P1040579.JPG

We had to disconnect the downpipes from the turbos as they seem to run about 6 feet under the car. Bit annoyed with that, as the system has only just been fitted, and the place thats done it has fitted it in a way thats a bit ****.

Rain was pretty minging, so i didnt take any more photos. With the engine out the way, we then set about dismantling the front suspension on the Avant. With all of that removed, and refitted to the yellow car, yellow is now almost ready to go back onto its wheels. Unfortunately one of the old knackered track rod ends wouldnt come off the rack of the black car, so i need to go fetch a blow torch this morning to hopefully persuade it off so i can complete the suspension the yellow car.

With that done, we can refit the good front suspension back onto the black car, and swap them round so the black ones up in front of the garage ready for the reinstallation of the engine.

Last edited:
Good going there, keep it updated with pics.

Whats the plan for the Avant when he changes engine, doing ko4's when out? Any other mods for it?

Man, i would kill to have your driveway and the space on the side of the house- the garage would be a big bonus ! Good work...pain in the but these s4's to work on...