s4 cluster into 1.8t coding issues

mk1golf_jack

Reaction score
hi,

before i start i have read all the info my brain can handle and have been searching like mad but not found a case like mine. i am new to posting on this forum but have been reading up as a guest on here and i think you guys will be able to help.

im having trouble coding my new (2nd hand) s4 clocks to my 1.8t

i bought them as my screen had a bleed in it and these look way cooler then standards!

the clocks look like for like, both have full screen, old type clock with all the same features

both immo 2 as far as i can see and both have 3 plugs, 1 blue, 1 green and 1 red.

i have vcds and vag tacho and successfully got the 4 digit pin from my new clocks and coded them.

The car starts and then cuts out like an immo problem but the key has taken to the clocks as the immo light stops flashing after the key coding was successful. i think for some reason it is not coding to the ecu properly.

i have followed the steps lots of times to try and get it to work but with no joy

so for now i have put my old clocks back in and it has coded and started the car with no probs so i know it is not my software/cables.

i have posted screen dumps of each set of clocks with p/n and other info ( part no j are my 1.8t
clocks)

instrumentclustercoding.png

s4clustercoding.png

p.s i already changed the soft coding to match my old clocks so i didn't have brake warning light etc.

im hoping someone will point me in the right direction. maybe i can post up the eeprom of both sets if someone knows how to read them and maybe figure it out that way.

thanks in advance!

Jack

On IMMO1/2 you still need to code the ECU to the cluster as well as coding in the keys by doing the following after you've coded the keys:

1. [Select]
    [17 - Instruments]
    [Adaptation - 10]

Leave channel at "00"
    [Read]
    [Save]
  2. [Done, Go Back]
    [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
    [Exit]

IMMO3 ECU's require the ECU itself to be "unlocked" before coding into a new cluster, older ones shouldnt but perhaps they do on some?

If you tried the above and it didnt work, look at the IMMO3 procedures you can see on rosstechs page, and follow the guide as though you've fitted a new (used) ECU.

thanks for the speedy reply.

yeah i have done the immo2 coding of the ecu to the clocks, i did both keys coding and ecu adaption 10x over to make sure.

will try immo3 coding ecu tomorrow as i didn't drive in to work today. but im sure these s4 clocks are immo2 as it has an analogue clock only 3 plugs on back not 4 and the immo light is in the rev counter not speedo as per immo1, my car is an R reg so its quite old. im shocked it had the full display (mine is pre facelift 98/99/99.5) im sure the s4 clocks can work somehow!

i have tried to code the ecu for immo1, 2 and 3 step by step in the ross tech wiki. with the immo3 coding i dont have channel 50 on my ecu so it is defo not immo3.

i have saved the EEprom from both sets of clocks, maybe someone with knowledge in this field can read them and make sense of it all, Also i am based in hertfordshire if someone is not too far away i can bring the car and clocks along to try and get it all to work for a few beer vouchers.

i cant post attachments yet, probably my post count. but i can email the the EEprom files to someone if you pm me your address.

regards, jack

if your feeling brave you could try cloning the EEPROM data from the old cluster onto the new one.

Not sure how you would go about doing that though.

yeah i was hoping for the "yeah copy the old into the new, its fine ive done it loads" but there is still time for others to jump in and say it. i am reluctant to try that as this set of clocks is mint and i dont want to fry them, i was thinking if the plugs are wired up different on the s4 in the cluster and maybe a pair of wires is reversed causing it not to recode properly?