S4 chain rattle...

the_cueball

Reaction score
I know this is a normal thing... and it should only last a few seconds...

what I'm wondering is does the oil type effect it???

I got caught a bit short on the motorway and the oil light actually came on, much to my surprise... so put 5w 40 oil in it as that was all the garage had...

It could be in my head, but the car now seems to be drinking more oil, and the start up rattle sounds louder and harsher...

it still only lasts for a few seconds, car pulls fine, no error codes etc....so just though I would check! :D

:thumb:

If its the incorrect grade it could use more oil. Any oil is better than no oil, but I would suggest changing it for the correct grade sooner rather than later.

Having looked into this on various audi forums i've read that the type of oil you put in can make a very big difference to the chain rattle sound on start up, i've had my S4 for 2 months now and when i comes to service time i will be getting some fuchs titan race pro s 5w 40.

It's £49.99 for 5 ltrs of which you will need 2 bottles, I think there is a group buy on here at the moment for 15% off at opieoils so might be best checking the gb section first.

I started collecting part numbers for when i do my service so if you need any for plugs filters ect let me know !

Opie Oils are superb and I also use the Fuchs Pros S 5w-40. Register online with them as they always have offers on. Also if your S4 is on a long life service plan I would change it. I change mine every 5-6k, its an easy job to do on the drive with ramps but worth it as your chain and tensioners all use the oil too so it's also peace of mind.

AudiSRS.com :: Index is also another good forum to join, a lot more S4 owners on there. Plus opie oils and euro car parts are forum sponsors on there so with Opie you get 10% off all orders and 25% Euro Car Parts.

I change my oil about every 3k!! lol

I normally get everything from ECP's but as I say,just got caught short this time...

cheers for the links

Hey just noticed your from EK, good to see another one in Scotland as they seem to be quite rare up here.

I'm through in Kelty, Fife but work through in Livingston. There's a big Audi meet at Crieff on the 24th of March so I'll hopefully be there and a few more V8's.

a lot of american cars use 5w40 spec
but as per the book over here it should actually be either 0w30 or 5w30
the fuch oil is very very good

ive had my s4 for 7 years now and the chain rattle should only ever be momentary ...if its any longer than this the first thing to do is change the oil