1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 Caliper Spraying - How to Pinch Off Brake Pipes??

Lion Heart Apr 16, 2014

1. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

Hi guys

I'm going to be spraying the calipers on my B7 S4 in red.

Now, I'm confident in removing them - there's just one niggly thing that concerns me and hope you can help me out.

What should I use to pinch off the rubber brake lines when I remove them?

This is the rubber line that connects between the caliper and the body of the car (where it attaches to the metal pipework).

The hoses seem REALLY tough (are they metal lined or something???). I have some plastic brake pipe clamps but they are noweher near strong enough to pinch these pipes!

Can you go hard on them (i.e. mole grips) without damaging them? Looks like it will take a LOT of pressure to clamp these and really worried about damaging the lines.

Finally (excuse my lack of knowledge - keen and capable newbie!) but once pinched off, removed, cleaned and sprayed I assume there will then be air in the system when I connect it back up. Is the nipple for releasing air?? If so, how?

Thanks guys!

2. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

Sounds as though you have braided brake hoses. You won't be able to clamp these I'm afraid, the system will need a complete bleed as air will enter the system.

There may be a way however to screw the banjo bolt which normally goes onto the caliper into a blank block of some sort to stop any fluid from draining out with gravity.

Azeem

3. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

Thanks for that!

The hoses are not braided. They appear externally just to be rubber. However - they are very strong and so I wonder if they have a metal coil running through the rubber?

Yes, I was wondering if there was some kind of cap that could be screwed on somewhere to stop the fluid dripping out??

4. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

Search for "brake line blanking (caps or plugs)".

HTH, Azeem.

5. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

Just searched for all three variations on that wording and nothing at all on eBay :eek:(

6. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

Try Google, I'm sure I saw some Goodridge ones.

7. Darren198712

Darren198712 Member

Would it not be a better idea to leave them on the car and paint them? You won't have to paint the whole caliper I know if I was doing it I would leave them on the car unless your planning to upgrade the brake hoses

8. lynallbel

lynallbel Active Member

Golf tee

9. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

I've painted calipers before and it's a lot easier off the car, plus you can ensure they are cleaned 100% properly in the nooks and crannies, and much easier to mask up as well. Doing it on the car would be a nightmare - imagine masking off the brake pads etc - nothing wold stick.

What's the golf tee idea???

Goodridge are bicycles I think?

10. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

11. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

12. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

Hi guys

I'm not sure if the pipe can be clamped or not?? So those clamps may be useless. It's really hard to squeeze and I'm concerned it may (??) have a metal coil running through the rubber???

Those Goodridge ones come in different sizes and some are £14 each (I need 4!) WOuld one of those sizes definitely fit the thread on the end of an Audi brake line??

13. lynallbel

lynallbel Active Member

You push the gold tee into the open end off the brake hoes when its off the calliper.
    The brake hoses whilst flexible are able to withstand quite high hydraulic pressures so cannot be squeezed by hand, if you could squeeze them by hand you are in trouble! any brake clamp will work just fine, even mole grips used carefully will do the job by carefull I mean just nip the hose not crush it to death!, rolled up blue paper will also do the job, twisted up and stuck into open end of hose.
    Basically the fluid is only to come out by gravity, so long as you dont touch pedal no pressure is involved at all.
    Only ones you cant clamp are the braided ones as you will shag the liner material.

14. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

Really useful - thanks for that!

I was worried as I tried clamping these pipes with the plastic hose clamps and they were nowhere near capable of the job!!

Much appreciated!

15. ricostuart

ricostuart Active Member

why not paint in situ rather than remove? total pain in the rear doing 4 brake bleeds tbh. Mask off, paint, job done! :D

16. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

a) harder to clean properly in situ, b) very hard to mask off well in situ (imagine masking the rear sides of the brake pads between the arms of the calipers and carriers - all filthy with brake dust), c) you'll get a better finish and more factory fitted look.

I wouldn't even consider trying to do them on the car as I think the finished result would be sloppy and far inferior to taking the time to do it properly.

17. ricostuart

ricostuart Active Member

Fair play really. What I did was removed the calipers, removed the pads, taped the discs, and hung the calipers from the upper control arms using some wire (actually used bungee cord, but whatever you have). That way you can do a fairly good job.

If you want to do a perfect job, best way is remove the calipers, and competly dissasemble them (rubbers and all) and put them in a cleaning bath. Smooth/sand them, prime and paint.

Either way, taking care and time is defo key.

Speaking of, I really need to redo mine at some point, as they are mucky as hell!

18. ajax1976

ajax1976 Well-Known Member

I would rather have a slightly inferior finish than have damaged hoses from clamping them.

Surely it you would be easier to just remove the pads before spraying instead of masking?

Why not remove the pads, unbolt the caliper and suspend it from the spring or something to get in a better position to paint without touching the pipes?

Or why not just use a brush? done loads of them on various cars and looked perfectly fine.

If you are intent on removing them go to the scrappies and lift some old hoses, cut them an inch or so below the connector and plug the hose with a nail to make a blanking plug. To save your fresh paint on your caliper unbolt them from where they meet the hard lines instead of at the caliper. Once the old one is out of the way screw the short plugged hose in to stop the fluid leaking, keeping fluid loss to a minimum and well away from the caliper.

Unless your popping pistons and seals out it's never going to be proper job anyway so why remove them, I personally think it's a bit over kill.

19. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

Hi guys

Hmmm. Fair points!

Yes, I guess I could suspend the calipers and clean and paint with them hanging. Remove the carrier as that's easy (no fluid to worry about).

Agree best point to disconnect would be where the rubber hose connects to the metal hose on the car body. Otherwise brake fluid over your nice new caliper paint!

My plan was to remove each one by one using a jack. To do it in situ it would have to go on axle stands. Not a problem but despite numerous Google searches nobody seems to know the best place to put the axle stands :eek:(

Hmmm. Now I'm thinking. That's a good things and what forums are for!

20. Lion Heart

Lion Heart Member

Also, lots more masking doing it on the car as need to fully mask off both sides of the car, the arches, and of course the calipers. Not sure if that will save time at all - may in fact take longer?

How much labour is involved bleeding the brakes (never done it before)?

If I disconnect and immediately connect plugs on both ends of the line to stop loss of fluid. I should only lose a few drips each caliper. Is that enough to warrant a bleed?

21. lynallbel

lynallbel Active Member

If systems opened for any reason it will need bleeding, but in your case only them two wheel stations so long as you only lose a small amount of fluid.
    If hose is clamped you wont lose squat and a quick bleed at each wheel will sort it just fine.
    I would say if its takes you and a mate/wife more than 5 minutes you want kicking!

22. ricostuart

ricostuart Active Member

Brake bleed done properly is not difficult but takes time. You need two people. I have used plenty of solo brake bleed kits at the garage but find them all worthless. The old fashioned way of brake on/off while opening/closing the nipple the best way.

Brakes shouldn't leak much fluid. Any loss easy to collect with a rag or kitchen roll or something. But you must bleed each brake you disconnect. Remember to start bleeding the brake furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way back.