S4 Caliper Help Needed

dale86

Reaction score
Hi I'm from from the b6 section and requiring some help from you guys as I'm fitting S5 calipers to my B6. I have had a few issues with these at first I couldn't source the correct pads as I never had a reg for the car they came from and was told their was a couple of variants lol. I finally got some pads new old stock found and when they have arrived I have compared them to a friend's set who just bought a pair of calipers a found another issue. His pads thad go on the side of the caliper that the pistons arnt on seem to have a block of metal at the top with little hooks on them and also his calipers have locator bolts for the pads mine don't. I was wondering if the locator screws are available from anywhere and if anyone could advise what the things on the top of the pads are for please. Thanks

If they are B5 S4 calipers there are two styles of caliper and each has different pads.

Some pad companies only sell one or other style, and it sounds like you have the wrong ones.

The pads fit in the caliper but don't have the metal contraption on the top and I got a set of knackered pads in them they did not have this on either ! My mates calipers are from a old 4.2 s8 so but do look the same

The early pads bolted in, the later ones sort of clipped in and had a big metal spring round the top.

TBH those calipers are ***** things, i'd be binning them off and buying a set of the 320mm ATE calipers they used on the B7 and Allroad.

I've heard they ain't too good but as long as they ain't worse than my originals I'll.be happy as it's mainly for looks because I'm running 20s. I've sourced the pad locating bolts and my pads are new old stock so that's prob why don't have the things on top . Thanks for the help

The calipers themselves were revised. If your caliper is the early style you need to use the early pads and late calipers need late pads.

How can you tell the difference between the two if you don't mind me asking ?

early ones have bolt in pads and no retaining clip
late ones have clip in pads and the wire retaining clip

:p

I think the later ones are also half alloy half steel, where the earlier ones are all steel.