1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 Cabriolet tips wanted...

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by windy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. windy

windy New Member

[Jun 25, 2011]
    Evening all! After recently offloading an X5 for a chunk more that I bought it for, I'm pretty much decided on an S4 Cabriolet as our next runaround. The girlfriend wants something convertible and I want something quick so it's a good compromise I think.

We're looking for a black auto, with non-black leather and sat nav, budgeting upto £12k. I've driven a few so far (all manual though) and have fallen in love. It's the Q-car thing that I really like!

Anyway, few things I'm after advice on:

Steering wheel. The only ones with an MFW I've seen have some hideous 4-spoke thing with tiptronic-style rocker switches which I dislike. Is it pretty hard to pop on the never MFW with the oblong boss (B8?)

Sat nav. Are there different versions of this? The one I want has the full screen, but are there different versions of that too?

Exhaust. I drove one recently with a decent aftermarket exhaust (no markings though) and it sounded awesome. Burbled round town, but quietened off at motorway speed. What's the recommended exhaust to pop on these? A Milltek?

Aside from that lot, is there anything else? I've heard about the aux rads, scary clutch/flywheel life, ability to eat tyres, and coil packs, which is all a bit of a concern but then I know the internet is full of this kind of stuff (Porsche RMS issues and M3 vanos issues spring to mind!) so I'll be looking out for this stuff but it won't be putting me off.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. windy

windy New Member

[Jun 25, 2011]
    Oh yeah, one more thing...

I'm looking at the ones with the bluff nose (not the deeper Audi grille) which has twin exhaust - can this be replaced with the later diffuser that accepts the quad exhaust system?
  4. Abb

Abb Member

[Jun 25, 2011]
    Hi Windy, cant help you with technical advice, but all I can say is do it! Bought one a couple of months ago, the B7 version (you are looking at a B6) albeit it has the same engine. Mine too is an auto and it is an amazing motor. I believe the exhaust to go for on these, as well as most Audis is indeed of the Miltek variety!

Hope you get sorted mate! :salute:
  5. windy

windy New Member

[Jun 25, 2011]
    Ah, so the B6 is the round-nose, the B7 has the deeper corporate grille, and the B8 is the latest with the daytime lights and the more aggressive nose?
  6. windy

windy New Member

[Jun 25, 2011]
    PS, could a mod move this to the B6 forum please? Thanks!
  7. biyitch

biyitch Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!

[Jun 26, 2011]
    Correct. The B8 looks the best but the B6 can be de-rounded by adding a Seat Leon Cupra R splitter.

The two sat navs are RNS-D (older, 4:3 screen, CD-based) and RNS-E (newer, widescreen, DVD-based) - see image below; as an owner of an S4 with the former, the latter is definitely the one to go for if you can. I think the only difference would be with or without Bose upgrade.

[​IMG]
  8. windy

windy New Member

[Jun 26, 2011]
    Brilliant! The one's I've been looking at all have RNS-E then.