S4 B6 Timing Chain Noise

PMGIRE

Reaction score
:sos:Hi folks.Newbie here.I recently bought an S4 B6 shape.Im looking to pick the brains of felllow S4 V8 owners to get feedback on the noise im experiencing.
Im pretty sure it is the timing chain tensioners/adjusters making this noise.
Well MRC tuning diagnosed it as the tensioners.
It appears when you start up and it lasts for 4/5 seconds then goes.If I switch the engine off and back on straight away it wont be noisy,apparently as there is oil in the adjusters.
The noise will re-appear after ,maybe 15/20 mins when the oil drains out.The car has only done 35k and has been main dealer service.
Has anyone had similar experience?Im getting it diagnosed at the minute but just wanted to put the feelers out.I believe it is a problem on this engine,not at 35k miles.

Cheers

:sign_welcome:

Have a search through the forum, I've read about this before, I think it's a common feature/problem.

This is a well known problem and nothing to worry about as long as you take the car of long life servicing.

mine does exactly the same but within a couple of seconds its pumped full of oil and back to silky smooth
i can leave it a good couple of hours and still no problem
but if left overnight the same thing occurs
this is a very common thing on the s4 if it ever becomes noisy ALL the time then be prepared fr a big bill but otherwise itll be fine just make sure its topped up with oil and its serviced reguarly

Mine does the same occasionally but 100% all of the friggin time when I am showing someone what a V8 sounds like just after I have told them about the deep growl and rumble it makes, should see their face when instead it sounds like a bag of rusty nails for a few seconds!! :blush:

I had a1999 A4 1.8 which always had this initial rattle and the owners book said it was normal but it did seem to get worse over time and was louder on cold mornings. my recent 2.5 V6 diesel seems a bit quieter on start up !The 1.8 went over 90000 without using a drop of oil between changes or loosing power so its just something to get used to but it does niggle at times

The S4 is the only engine in the range to use a timing chain though.

Cheers for all the feedback.I have been told its also the VVT.If I switch the

ignition on for 4/5 seconds before starting it you can hear the adjustments.Then

when fired up its not noisy,Since posting this I got the engine flushed and of

course an oil change and its not noisy.Phew!!

Another thing to note is that although it has full main dealer servicing they

sometimes chuck in lesser quality oil.As one of the posts says to take it off

long life servicing,I had that in mind before I bought it.Its not since its not

doing regular mileage and it being such a big lump.Going back to the engine

flush,apparently the oil inlet into the tensioners has a tendancy to sludge up

which slows the oil entering.Again Thats a symptom of the infrequent oil

changes.Sorry for the waffle but im hoping if someone else goes through the

worry of a possible £3k bill,no joke,especially at xmas and a baby on the way!

Yeap had a B6 S4 avant, same issue for 3-5 seconds only on startup, no other time, normal mate if goes away straight away, if not then not normal & is tensioners taking up slack eventually.

Cheers for all the feedback.I have been told its also the VVT.If I switch the

ignition on for 4/5 seconds before starting it you can hear the adjustments.Then

when fired up its not noisy,Since posting this I got the engine flushed and of

course an oil change and its not noisy.Phew!!

Another thing to note is that although it has full main dealer servicing they

sometimes chuck in lesser quality oil.As one of the posts says to take it off

long life servicing,I had that in mind before I bought it.Its not since its not

doing regular mileage and it being such a big lump.Going back to the engine

flush,apparently the oil inlet into the tensioners has a tendancy to sludge up

which slows the oil entering.Again Thats a symptom of the infrequent oil

changes.Sorry for the waffle but im hoping if someone else goes through the

worry of a possible £3k bill,no joke,especially at xmas and a baby on the way!
Not sure how the vvt or tensioners can adjust while the engine isn't running. Think someone has told you porkie's mate. It is all mechanical

hi, mine does same fu*** noise at start, when i turn off the engine 15-20 mins the noise re-appears, some guy at audi service told me, maybe are the the oil pump or check oil valve probably have a leak of pressure and permits the oils go down and discharge the tensioner, like some people here im very worried about it, how i can do this sound dissapear permanently?

hi, mine does same fu*** noise at start, when i turn off the engine 15-20 mins the noise re-appears, some guy at audi service told me, maybe are the the oil pump or check oil valve probably have a leak of pressure and permits the oils go down and discharge the tensioner, like some people here im very worried about it, how i can do this sound dissapear permanently?
Now in English?

jjaajajajaj sorry for my bad english, i just want to know, its the rattle noise at start engine a big problem?

Yeap had a B6 S4 avant, same issue for 3-5 seconds only on startup, no other time, normal mate if goes away straight away, if not then not normal & is tensioners taking up slack eventually.[/QUOTE

your old s4 is still making that noise mate it seems to be when the oil is ready for changing and when it takes 10L of oil its a dear do

Last edited: