1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 B6 Timing Chain Noise

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by PMGIRE, Dec 9, 2009.

1. PMGIRE

PMGIRE New Member

[Dec 9, 2009]
    :sos:Hi folks.Newbie here.I recently bought an S4 B6 shape.Im looking to pick the brains of felllow S4 V8 owners to get feedback on the noise im experiencing.
    Im pretty sure it is the timing chain tensioners/adjusters making this noise.
    Well MRC tuning diagnosed it as the tensioners.
    It appears when you start up and it lasts for 4/5 seconds then goes.If I switch the engine off and back on straight away it wont be noisy,apparently as there is oil in the adjusters.
    The noise will re-appear after ,maybe 15/20 mins when the oil drains out.The car has only done 35k and has been main dealer service.
    Has anyone had similar experience?Im getting it diagnosed at the minute but just wanted to put the feelers out.I believe it is a problem on this engine,not at 35k miles.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 9, 2009]
    :sign_welcome:

Have a search through the forum, I've read about this before, I think it's a common feature/problem.
  4. chunky79

chunky79 Member

[Dec 10, 2009]
    This is a well known problem and nothing to worry about as long as you take the car of long life servicing.
  5. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

[Dec 10, 2009]
    mine does exactly the same but within a couple of seconds its pumped full of oil and back to silky smooth
    i can leave it a good couple of hours and still no problem
    but if left overnight the same thing occurs
    this is a very common thing on the s4 if it ever becomes noisy ALL the time then be prepared fr a big bill but otherwise itll be fine just make sure its topped up with oil and its serviced reguarly
  6. heli_madken

heli_madken Member

[Dec 11, 2009]
    Mine does the same occasionally but 100% all of the friggin time when I am showing someone what a V8 sounds like just after I have told them about the deep growl and rumble it makes, should see their face when instead it sounds like a bag of rusty nails for a few seconds!! :blush:
  7. Mike B

Mike B Member

[Dec 11, 2009]
    I had a1999 A4 1.8 which always had this initial rattle and the owners book said it was normal but it did seem to get worse over time and was louder on cold mornings. my recent 2.5 V6 diesel seems a bit quieter on start up !The 1.8 went over 90000 without using a drop of oil between changes or loosing power so its just something to get used to but it does niggle at times
  8. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 11, 2009]
    The S4 is the only engine in the range to use a timing chain though.
  9. PMGIRE

PMGIRE New Member

[Dec 14, 2009]
    Cheers for all the feedback.I have been told its also the VVT.If I switch the

ignition on for 4/5 seconds before starting it you can hear the adjustments.Then

when fired up its not noisy,Since posting this I got the engine flushed and of

course an oil change and its not noisy.Phew!!

Another thing to note is that although it has full main dealer servicing they

sometimes chuck in lesser quality oil.As one of the posts says to take it off

long life servicing,I had that in mind before I bought it.Its not since its not

doing regular mileage and it being such a big lump.Going back to the engine

flush,apparently the oil inlet into the tensioners has a tendancy to sludge up

which slows the oil entering.Again Thats a symptom of the infrequent oil

changes.Sorry for the waffle but im hoping if someone else goes through the

worry of a possible £3k bill,no joke,especially at xmas and a baby on the way!
  10. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Dec 14, 2009]
    Yeap had a B6 S4 avant, same issue for 3-5 seconds only on startup, no other time, normal mate if goes away straight away, if not then not normal & is tensioners taking up slack eventually.
  11. chunky79

chunky79 Member

[Dec 15, 2009]
    Not sure how the vvt or tensioners can adjust while the engine isn't running. Think someone has told you porkie's mate. It is all mechanical
  12. Evlbtch_mx

Evlbtch_mx New Member

[Jan 31, 2012]
    hi, mine does same fu*** noise at start, when i turn off the engine 15-20 mins the noise re-appears, some guy at audi service told me, maybe are the the oil pump or check oil valve probably have a leak of pressure and permits the oils go down and discharge the tensioner, like some people here im very worried about it, how i can do this sound dissapear permanently?
  13. Sulli

Sulli Member

[Jan 31, 2012]
    Now in English?
  14. Evlbtch_mx

Evlbtch_mx New Member

[Jan 31, 2012]
    jjaajajajaj sorry for my bad english, i just want to know, its the rattle noise at start engine a big problem?
  15. TURBOTRONICS

TURBOTRONICS Member

[Jan 31, 2012]
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012