1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 B6, Manual or Tip

Sulli Aug 14, 2011

1. Sulli

Sulli Member

I am getting a 2003/4 Audi S4. I have heard that the auto/tip has trouble handling the power (???) from a manual owner, but I read the auto is more economical???
    Which is better???
    P.S. I did a search and either the search function is rubbish or no-one has asked this before (which I can't believe....)

2. LeeT

LeeT Member

Ive had a noggy blue B6 S4 manual saloon and it was a great car, loved it. Ive also got the A6 4.2 in tiptronic which is slightly tuned and in my opinion is a much better drive than the manual was. A quick blip of the throttle and you are at 100mph in a blink of an eye. Ive not had any trouble with my autobox at all. I am usually a manual driver myself, ive got a b5 s4 too, but just cant fault the tiptronic v8. Add some decatted straight through pipes and you'll be in heaven
    :)
    oh and you posted in the B5 section not the B6 :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

No performance car should have an Auto! They're hateful things.

4. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics Supporter Team V6 quattro Audi A8 Team Akoya saloon TDi Audi S8

Autos are amazing. I love mine.

But I do miss a good fast manual gear change.

5. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

I'm doing the driving NOT the car. Therefore I want to change gear. I wouldn't consider a car with an auto box ever!

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I can understand why someone might want an Auto. Perhaps you do a lot of city driving, or lazy crusing up the motorway and never really drive the car "properly". I'd never have one myself, but i do see their value in certain situations.

But the reasons for owning one are the opposite end of the spectrum to those for wanting a 360hp V8 engined saloon car.

The two just dont go together.