S4 (B5) or A4 3.0 Quattro Sport (B6)

j033y

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am in the market for a new car, but was struggling between 3 cars S4 (B5) A4 3.0 Quattro (B6) or BMW 330i Sport (E46)

Pretty much ruled out the BMW although they are lovely cars, there just not an Audi.

I currently have a chipped Golf Gti Turbo (Mk4) And wondered what peoples opinions are on comparing the S4 (B5) and A4 3.0 Quattro (B6)

I have read review after review, looked at many pictures, read many posts but still unsure.

MPG although not important to me, seems similar, i love the look of the B6, but i love the rawness and sleeper look of the S4!

If only i could afford an S4 in the B6 varient, I would not have to think so much!!

Any help would be great guys... from people who have owned 1 or both etc etc, think i will post this in the B6 sections too....

Cheers

i guess it really depends what you want from it...

The B6 is newer, so its likely to feel more polished. The B5 being older might need some work to bring back that new car feel, such as new control arms and bushes all round.

I'd imagine spec wise they're going to be pretty similar, so theres not much in it in terms of toys.

The B5 is going to be a good bit quicker i'd imagine. Its got more power, and its also far easier to tune being turbocharged. Little more than a chip will see you over 300hp. If your happy with the power level of the B6 then i'd seriously consider a 1.8T B6 Quattro instead of the V6, as you'll get better gas mileage and the engines lighter so the car will feel more nimble to drive.

Personally i dont like the look of the B6 too much. The Avants arent too bad, but the saloon models do nothing for me.

I would go with the S4 because of it's tuning potential but obviously it depends if you're after power or not.. I know I would be :eyebrows:

Isn't there a B63.0tdi quattro option? Tuning, power, torgue, economy all in one package.....? Sure you'll never get the high end grunt of a petrol but is that so important?

i got myself a B5 S4 mate an i can honestly say that it knocks spots off my other A4's a 2.4 V6 B5 and a B6 A4 2.5tdi quattro(180)

the B6 is an 03 plate and i think there aint that much difference on the inside to the B5, i have all the toys that the 2.5tdi got inside as mine is the facelift model. the only thing different is the climate control console but as for anything else its near enough the same mate.

i was in your situation when looking for my new car, i was torn between a B6 1.8T(190)s line, a B7 2.0T and a B5 S4, the B7 was a liitle out my price range at 14K so i ticked that one off and i wanted some serious power thats why i went for the S4 and i had a bargain, a 2000 plate(x) S4 in noggy blue, facelift, 96K on the clock, noggy blue alacantara recaros and all major servicing been done and i had it for £4500 so it was a no brainer for me plus it comes wit 265hp and a simple remap will see me over the 300 mark so i can say that it is worth going for the S4 over the B6

he he.... I've just snuck across from the B6 version of the chat :D

Interesting to see how similar the arguments are on both sides: summary from the B6 lads is that the S4 is the one to go for if you're after straight out the box grin-factor and silly tuning potential, B6 3.0 for the modern saftey, look and feel and we also suggested the B6 1.8TQS as a highly tunable compromise, but apparently the V6 is what he's after... so the only way to get the same power-weight would be to s'charge the 3.0?

Dieselfitter - I'm pretty sure the 3.0TDI only came in for the B7's, so you're looking at £10k+ most likely.... so double the price of a decent spec B6 3.0 and 3x the price of a B6 1.8TQS (£3500-ish when I was looking in Jan), but agreed - those are about 240bhp out the box and around 300bhp and SILLY toque with a few mods and a re-chip.... all that and 45mpg+....

Hi people

yes i posted in both sections to get views from both sides of the fence... to be honest i was expecting more of a fight over which is best. but you are all sing from the same sheet.

I think for me the S4 will win the day. the initial cost is attractive as it has the power i would like. I dare say i would chip it and leave it at that. 300hp is enough for anyone.

I personally do feel the b5 does look dated compared to the b6.... but this is my own opinion... i remember 5 years ago looking at getting a b5, was too much for me though and thinking how modern and good they looked.... But although i say it looks dated, by no means am i suggesting this is a bad thing!

Will have to sort some cash out, then flog my golf and be on the hunt for a nice S4... Amazingly enough, insurance quotes are coming out half sensible!!!

So now begs the next questions... to Avant or not to Avant!!

I think the avant is cooler, Its more of a sleeper i recon. Much more fun blowing someone away in an estate car. Audi had it right only offering the RS2 and B5RS4 as an Avant!

It also looks less "dated" than the saloon imo, i think because the bodystyle on the B6 Avant is pretty similar to the B5.

Hi people

yes i posted in both sections to get views from both sides of the fence... to be honest i was expecting more of a fight over which is best. but you are all sing from the same sheet.

I think for me the S4 will win the day. the initial cost is attractive as it has the power i would like. I dare say i would chip it and leave it at that. 300hp is enough for anyone.

I personally do feel the b5 does look dated compared to the b6.... but this is my own opinion... i remember 5 years ago looking at getting a b5, was too much for me though and thinking how modern and good they looked.... But although i say it looks dated, by no means am i suggesting this is a bad thing!

Will have to sort some cash out, then flog my golf and be on the hunt for a nice S4... Amazingly enough, insurance quotes are coming out half sensible!!!

So now begs the next questions... to Avant or not to Avant!!

Sounds like your mind is made up mate and its defo the right choice for your requirements - Some serious Power to be had!:o.k:

i must say that the avants do look cool, im only 24 rite now so dont really need all that space but as i get older im sure ill move to the avant in time.

good choice j033y on going the S4, you wont be dissapointed and as for the B5 looking dated then yea your rite but damn i love the curviness to them:)

Avant would be more attractive to more people i would imagine

Avant.... but I think they're a price premium over the saloons for all the reasons mentioned before...

If you're going B5, then how about an RS4? Bu tI think they usually command a serious price premium... there's one at Fontain right now that's been given the 440bhp MTM treatment and looks the nuts in the flesh!! Not sure about the light leather, but the rest of it looked awesome.

I wouldn't buy form Fontain for all the tea in China.

300bhp is NEVER enough by the way ;)

you wont go far wrong with an s4, avant or saloon. Its understated looks may look as you say `dated`, but with the right alloys, colour combination etc, i still think they are an great looking car. Tuning potential too, though 300brake is never enough!. mine has given me more smiles per mile than every `qiuck` car i have owned, after the impreza`s, legacy`s and lancia`s the only one that came close in performance, functionality and live-ability was my old S2.
so.....cheap as chips now, go buy one!. noggy blue of course!

you wont go far wrong with an s4, avant or saloon. Its understated looks may look as you say `dated`, but with the right alloys, colour combination etc, i still think they are an great looking car. Tuning potential too, though 300brake is never enough!. mine has given me more smiles per mile than every `qiuck` car i have owned, after the impreza`s, legacy`s and lancia`s the only one that came close in performance, functionality and live-ability was my old S2.
so.....cheap as chips now, go buy one!. noggy blue of course!

too true mate!!!!

wot wheels you got, RS4 DTM's?????

yes i will be looking at buying after the summer ideally. sort out the al finances, then shift the golf. Niagro (or however you spell it) wil be my first choice, but they don't come up for sale very often!.

Getting excited, and have a while to wait. as for saloon or avant, either ir, love them both!! Is mileage a big issue on these. guessing the engines are fairly bullet proof!