S4 avant for sale on auto trader - advice

Tom Wonnacott

Reaction score
Afternoon all

I am new here so hope I have got the right thread. See below a link to auto trader showing what appears to be a very nice looking / price and millage S4 avant.

Question is, is this car known to anyone on here? My concerns are normally anything that seems too good to be true normally is. Car has had 5 previous owners and the last owner only had it 7 months. Also a quick google search of ASM performance (the garage selling the car) reveals a host of bad reviews and complaints.

A shame as if the car is a clean as appears then il go down there tomorrow and buy it.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tom

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

I got a message saying I can't post links until I have posted 3 threads.

Will the link work if you cut paste it into the address bar.

Attachments

• IMG_5673.PNG
    IMG_5673.PNG
    380.4 KB · Views: 165
Nope.
Timing chain/tensioner issues are common on S4's, & seriously expensive to fix so beware.

So how's best to go about finding out if it has had or is currently suffering from any timing chain / tensioner issues ?

Looks like a nice one, but you have to be absolutely certain the engine,& gearbox are good. Deep pockets needed regardless as running costs aren't going to be cheap.

Hopefully an S4 owner will be along to enlighten you better than me, but IIRC rattling timing chain on start up & shut down is the giveaway sign that all is not well.

Day to day running cost I am fine with as I only have a 5 mile commute to work.

I just don't want it blowing up on me !

Any S4 owners on here with some much needed advise before I go to view this car tomorrow would be very much appreciated.

Bought one of these 3 months ago.Gave it a hard road test.No untoward sounds on starting and turning off. Got a free 3 month warranty. Not needed. contacted the previous owner who reported faultless 3 years ownership. Oil changed every 6,000 miles. Thirsty driven hard but rewarding after owning an Alpina coupe.

i had an s4 for nine years and am well aware of the problems
if you would like advice on buying one please message me

the link still doesnt work im afraid but the registration of my old one was sp53 hkk

Also check out other forum classified sections it can be a better loved car from a forum.
Yes i bought a B6 S4 cab 3 years ago and have spent 5k just to keep it on the road, they need lots of love.

Had my s4 for over 4 years but now faced with the large bill for tensioner and guide replacement. all it has needed other than general servicing is 2 rear wheel bearings. I seem to get through a set of tyres in 12 to 14 months but car is used every day and averages 10k miles a year.

Just bear in mind that if like me your car does suffer from worn tensioners and or broken guides you are either faced with a bill of £3k at least or a car that will be worth very little, most probably unsellable and broken for parts.

All that aside when they are working and running well they're great cars and I took the gamble and don't regret it