1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 Auto to manual conversion

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Boombastik, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Boombastik

Boombastik Member

Ive been wondering if any one has any knowledge of this type of conversion being carried out
    the thought has crossed my mind as i have been getting a bit fed up of the tip tronic auto in my car

I once carried out a conversion from auto to manual on a nissan 200sx which was pretty easy
  2. GeoffDunk

GeoffDunk Member

From what I have learnt recently about my manual S4 I would guess there is differences in the Quattro system as the oil is different between manual and auto rear differentials ( a minor point) which leads me to think there are certain differences.

I am by no means and expert on the subject but your Nissan would have been 2WD I assume?
  3. ChrisShepB7

ChrisShepB7 Member

Just at a guess i recon you'll need to swap the rear diff as well and maybe the ECU or get the auto side of it mapped out so no faults are displayed.

Along with the obvious trans tunnel, centre console and bulk head mods.
  4. Boombastik

Boombastik Member

with a whole donor S4 would there be differneces between the B7 & B6 model to do this swap

usual items brake and clutch peddle, gear stick and centre consoul, the prop would need done and likley the diff, if the diff was not changed it would affect the cars acceleration and top speed

also as mentioned the auto ecu would prob need switched off or removed, the main ECU would need some sort of bypass for the park/start
  5. ben.w93

ben.w93 Member

Kind of defeats the point of the conversion, but would it not be better just to sell your existing car and buying one with a manual gearbox? To me it seems very expensive and time consuming, but then projects are more rewarding and interesting, these modern Audis are harder to chop and change than my old Series IIa Land Rover :p.
  6. tut_gareth

tut_gareth Member

From memory some research I did for a manual S6 a while ago, you would need gearbox, clutch and flywheel adapted from a V6, rear diff, brake servo, pedal box assembly, engine ecu, modification to wiring looms and ecu, recoding ignition engine gearbox and alarm system as they are all connected, plus other things I'm sure..... A lot more work than expected and probably cheaper / less hassle to fid a manual S4. Though of you do go ahead a build thread would make great reading :)
  7. ASC

ASC Member

Dude, if you can wait till next year I'll sell you mine!? ;)
  8. Boombastik

Boombastik Member

not keen on the avant like, you planning on selling up next year then ?
  9. ASC

ASC Member

Think so.. Hardly use it, spent a *** fortune on it too.. Would like to keep it but.. Should get out for a blast soon eh?
  10. Boombastik

Boombastik Member

aye need to get out for a blast before tha bad weather sets in like!

tell ya you will end up regretting selling it if you do its one of that cars that you will wish you still had every time you see one
  11. ASC

ASC Member

I know, it's a tough decision but I've already kept it 1 year longer than planned.. I'll put it through its MOT in March and then see what happens.
    Looks like a possible SRS meet in December, might go along or maybe just meet up local sometime if you want. You still need to witness this thing now it's mapped.. :)
  12. Boombastik

Boombastik Member

What you up to this weekend then?
  13. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

If you're in the market for a nice v8 s4 then i have a 2003 saloon which i will put up for sale in a few weeks !
  14. Boombastik

Boombastik Member

its got to be the B7 if i was buying one, i wouldnt buy one just to break unless it was damaged
  15. ASC

ASC Member

Could maybe manage something tomorrow morning? Busy in the afternoon and away Sunday..