s3gazz's slow engine build

Thought that was cheap Andrew ha have to see how much Dave will charge

On a 1.8t and a standard size turbo the gains are about 7 bhp

I saw 20 bhp with my manifold but i do have a much bigger turbo and engine, it may be worth it for me to get a 034 manifold

So has rick gave any estimates to what the final figure will be?

No dani not yet still has to tweak it and put on dyno so could be owt only running 19psi tho and g/s reading 255

So the car is finished and been on the dyno too for the fine tune today I don't no the results yet my self but I no he's happy about it lol.
what are your guesses guys I'm picking it up tomoz carnt wait

So just got in from the dyno session.

Firstly, the car will only hold around 18-19psi between 6-7k. The wastegate duty goes from around 70% at 4500 to 95% and boost tails off from 21psi in midrange. I cannot pressure test completely due to the intake issues so there is a possibility of a leaking DV. Once Gaz sorts out this out we can test properly.

The car was run up a good few times, they water meth, moderate boost and climate controlled dyno cell meaning the car stayed cool and consistent. The closed loop boost control is right on the limit of what it can handle and although it is spot on in every gear on the road peaking at 21psi, it spiked around 26psi on the dyno before coming down to 21psi and eventually 18psi at peak power.

This means the torque figure is a little inflated from what you will see on the road.

However, the figures are pretty impressive - 379ftlb at 4100rpm - 352bhp at 6291rpm.

On the road, the peak torque is probably around 3500rpm which makes this a very fast, very useable S3 :)

Hopefully Gaz is smiling, and well done Dan for a cracking little turbo :)

Rick

Reactions: StaceyS3, Sam_, superkarl and 4 others
Thanks to rick and dan for there hard work in all this and to all the people that have help me through a hard few years I'm finally there now and god am I going to enjoy woooop.

is it just me or is 379 ftlb crazy lol

to say its on a v3 mani is impressive to say the least and there could be more to come I think if I sort a new inlet mani new Exhurst mani and also fix the adapter problem I'm having.

Ill admit I never thought it would achieve these figure. Won't sleep tonight

So just got in from the dyno session.

Firstly, the car will only hold around 18-19psi between 6-7k. The wastegate duty goes from around 70% at 4500 to 95% and boost tails off from 21psi in midrange. I cannot pressure test completely due to the intake issues so there is a possibility of a leaking DV. Once Gaz sorts out this out we can test properly.

The car was run up a good few times, they water meth, moderate boost and climate controlled dyno cell meaning the car stayed cool and consistent. The closed loop boost control is right on the limit of what it can handle and although it is spot on in every gear on the road peaking at 21psi, it spiked around 26psi on the dyno before coming down to 21psi and eventually 18psi at peak power.

This means the torque figure is a little inflated from what you will see on the road.

However, the figures are pretty impressive - 379ftlb at 4100rpm - 352bhp at 6291rpm.

On the road, the peak torque is probably around 3500rpm which makes this a very fast, very useable S3 :)

Hopefully Gaz is smiling, and well done Dan for a cracking little turbo :)

Rick

nice work Rick..

any surging issue? The whole idea of this turbo was to beat surge and increase mid range power.. It looks to have dove the mid range bit a treat...

Reactions: s3gazz
Thanks Dave let's crack yours off now.

rick do u think the v3 mani is restrictive still or would there be more to come from a better flowing mani

Dan, no surge at all. You get more surge on the std 8P K04...

Gaz -i don't know - i'd need to inspect it off the car, but there are people of the opinion that it is restrictive.

Rick

No surge at all is great dan well made turbo.

cool rick well time will tell I suppose when the v4 is tested and adapter fixed haha

The manifold isn't a bad flowing manifold at all and swapping to a v4 will see very little if no gains at all I would say

i would say to get one custom made for reliability

Rick and I know someone that makes good strong custom manifolds out of thick wall 316 stainless

Epic results lads, that's proper awesome! Should be a fun drive home ;)

The manifold isn't a bad flowing manifold at all and swapping to a v4 will see very little if no gains at all I would say

i would say to get one custom made for reliability

Rick and I know someone that makes good strong custom manifolds out of thick wall 316 stainless

true Andrew well I now no that the v3 can flow over 350 bhp so ill leave it I think head off for nowt don't think so.
ill have to think about the inlet tho

Wow, i did not expect this. Awesome results for you gazz AT LAST! Enjoy it mate.
That torque is seriously impressive
the torque is mad to me ha I won't be able to post vids Karl ill have wip lash lol 379ftlb at 3500rpm ha.

dave it must be a record iv not heard nowt about another only thought they went to 300bhp and hit a brick wall

Possibly needs a new valve in the dv or a new standard item to overcome the leaking?

Awesone result anyway! Few of us said it should be good for 350 and Rick has delivered. I bet its epic to drive with that torque low down. 4 wheel spins out of junctions now lol.

Lol Jason glad its not fwd haha with that torque no chance of keeping that down at so low rpm. Jason it's not the DVD that is leaking pal it's the adapter that goes onto the turbo too big of a gap

Reactions: Jason.s
Lol Jason glad its not fwd haha with that torque no chance of keeping that down at so low rpm. Jason it's not the DVD that is leaking pal it's the adapter that goes onto the turbo too big of a gap

Was just that Rick mentioned a possibility of leaking dv in his above post to do with pressure testing

Ye pal no what u mean just its new that's all ha and carnt see a bit of sealant curing that big gap in the adapter

Graph below. You can see the midrange wobble as the boost control has a moment. I could have fixed the dutycycle to smooth it out but didn't think it was worth it for a graph!

Gaz s3 rr small

did you say it spiked 26psi on the dyno but not on the road?
ramp rate 2 is a long old power run if its the same as mine does.. damn! it held on very well if so.. muchos glowage on the relentless.

f##ck me I bet that pins you back in your seat ! great figures :)

Thanks for the posting of the dyno graph rick carnt wait to come and pic it up.

go v3 mani haha

Took Gaz to get his car and met rick, great guy, and he took us out for a demo, Very nice, couldnt use to full potential as rick pulled the fuse on the haldex to protect it, as it has different rolling radius's on front to back tyres and the haldex was having a womens moment, (long story get your 4wa done gaz!)but a very nice delivery once rolling, and goes effortlessly, NLS was immense i thought the engine had blown up,,,:ohmy:
I think its fair to say Gaz is one happy guy.... :happy:

How the high power FWD guys cope is beyond me...:salute:

Cant wait to get mine sorted now....

Reactions: s3gazz and m19lte
Ha, told you nls is addictive dave ;-) sounds mental doesn't it ! happy motoring lads. good to meet you before dave :)

Took Gaz to get his car and met rick, great guy, and he took us out for a demo, Very nice, couldnt use to full potential as rick pulled the fuse on the haldex to protect it, as it has different rolling radius's on front to back tyres and the haldex was having a womens moment, (long story get your 4wa done gaz!)but a very nice delivery once rolling, and goes effortlessly, NLS was immense i thought the engine had blown up,,,:ohmy:
I think its fair to say Gaz is one happy guy.... :happy:

How the high power FWD guys cope is beyond me...:salute:

Cant wait to get mine sorted now....

Reactions: s3dave and s3gazz