s3gazz's slow engine build

Right guys an update only small but I'm happy now new ecu turned up this morning rick has fitted it and its running fine no faults and has not blown up next step mapping.

Reactions: [Dave B] and Jason.s
Excellent news gaz.

I'm sure we all look forward to hearing how it goes, and you finally getting to enjoy your car :)

Reactions: s3gazz
Wooooop lol I see the light at the end haha thanks lads new it was the ecu ha onwards and upwards I get to enjoy the car now update when find out more

Reactions: Jason.s
Gazz where is rick mapping it? Hes based in stockport right?
I Could do with ringing him sometime and have a chat about my car and mapping. I like his work, i keep an eye on all the stuff he does for the 2.7tt community.

Reactions: Jason.s
Yeh he does use a dyno to map and log, but also road testing, which is great because we know cars behave different on each, and each method has its pros.
As long as the car doesnt get seized lol.

Its great that us northerners have someone with service and knowledge in the same league as r-tech and B5, makes logistics and costs better.

Reactions: s3gazz and Jason.s
Road testing is very important though Jason, so I'm sure he'll do both :)

I know that im just putting that in there as you made out he`ll just be hammering the motorway for mapping lol.

Thanks again lads.

Me too prawn yes pal it will be As far as I no mate.

hes going to map on the road and use dyno as well.
karl we shore are Lucky to have someone like rick up north.

Yeh he does use a dyno to map and log, but also road testing, which is great because we know cars behave different on each, and each method has its pros.

mine never gets road tested after it's mapped on the dyno.

(on the road it usually breaks within 200 yards when we try :laugh: )

Reactions: Sandra and Jason.s
Bit of an update guys.

so Rick rang me yesterday explaining I had few problems 1 was he could only get it to boost at 18psi, 2 the intake tip adapter was loose so he could not pressure test it, 3 maf may be on its way out.

so went over last night sorted the adapter out as much as I could and fitted a new maf now waiting on an update to see if things have changed.

he did pressure test from the end of the charge pipe to inlet mani and it held a nice 2 bar. Mapped the car and was only producing 260bhp lol coz of the maf no dout hopefully.
He has put no lift shift and launch control on so far and waiting on the next update.

i also no now I'm only running a 11psi actuater which could be why it's only producing 18 psi Beachbuggy dan has offered to send RIck a 15 psi actuater to see if that's the course so we will see what rick says after the new maf was fitted.

Hopefully pal just waiting on ricks call hope it's a good one haha

11psi actuater on there now would a 15psi one allow it to run more boost than 18 psi

i honestly dont know mate, maybe the 11psi one was allowing forcing the wastegate open at high rpm.
so yeh should allow it to boost what you want if its stronger.

i also no now I'm only running a 11psi actuater which could be why it's only producing 18 psi Beachbuggy dan has offered to send RIck a 15 psi actuater to see if that's the course so we will see what rick says after the new maf was fitted.

12psi would enable more than 18psi.... holding them back usually the issue - lol

hopefully the other actuator will wake it up a bit more

Cool bill see what rick has done will it today might of had a big boost leak or somate that coursed only 18psi role on the next call ha

So rick has mapped the car now and he's getting a maf reading of 255 g/s which is 319 bhp at 19 psi I no I carnt go by the maf readings but he's putting it on the dyno.
he still has to tweak the map so might be more there to come but I'm happy.

also need a new tip adapter making if anyone nose a place as mine is too slack there's around a 3 mm gap all way around so very loose

how can the tip adaptor be 3mm (6mm OD) too large??

summat you had made or off one of my tips? 51mm OD Same as K04 inlets

dyno for actual power...

He's going to put it on his mate dyno bill.

Ye adapter is 6mm OD about 3mm all the way around its move up and down a fear bit for shore and was ******* pressure out of it.
Bill it's one of your adapters but its the turbo cold side that's smaller on the out side than a standered k04 as far as I no

He's going to put it on his mate dyno bill.

Ye adapter is 6mm OD about 3mm all the way around its move up and down a fear bit for shore and was ******* pressure out of it.
Bill it's one of your adapters but its the turbo cold side that's smaller on the out side than a standered k04 as far as I no

I wonder what compressor housing you have on there Gaz..
all K04 std ones are 51mm OD on intake
bizarre yours is smaller but has billet comp wheel inside?

6mm smaller would make the comp cover 45mm inlet which is a K03s sized inlet...

eh?

dazed and confused...

Beachbuggy may be able to help on that one pal god nose lol. Might be a copy he put on or what he get made gut still the inside is ported on dans k04 hybrids to 55 mm so I think it's just the wall that's very thin bill.

can u make same adapter but smaller ID to go over my turbo inlet bill if I get measurements

Turbo spec

Compressor is a 2283 sized wheel but with a 7+7 blade design. Modified compressor housing. Custom made k16 sized turbine wheel 55mm/46.5mm . a ported and modified turbine housing. Upgraded bearing kit

I wonder what compressor housing you have on there Gaz..
all K04 std ones are 51mm OD on intake
bizarre yours is smaller but has billet comp wheel inside?

6mm smaller would make the comp cover 45mm inlet which is a K03s sized inlet...

eh?

dazed and confused...

Its a k04 one but the ones I use on the k03 hybrids.. They came in at 50OD , which obviously doesn't help when using your adaptor, but the groove was very shallow so I could get the full clearance required without the thin bit on the groove..

Not ideal admittedly, but the many moons ago I built gaz the turbo he didn't have a serviceable comp housing so was the best option..

Only other I did with this housing used a silicone tip anyway so wasn't an issue..

I'm sure a thin spacer would work..

Its a k04 one but the ones I use on the k03 hybrids.. They came in at 50OD , which obviously doesn't help when using your adaptor, but the groove was very shallow so I could get the full clearance required without the thin bit on the groove..

Not ideal admittedly, but the many moons ago I built gaz the turbo he didn't have a serviceable comp housing so was the best option..

Only other I did with this housing used a silicone tip anyway so wasn't an issue..

Was that information passed on to Gazz to save him from having issues with Tips?

OD left as supplied I guess dan?
so 1mm OD smaller, 0.5mm radially.. (not the 3mm described)

bonding on the billet portion would be best and ignore grub screws given the wall thickness.
not sure I understand the 6mm OD smaller tho from gaz..

Was that information passed on to Gazz to save him from having issues with Tips?

It was that long ago I can't remember, and I had literally just got the housing in so tbh possibly wasn't aware of it and I wasn't really that concerned as they where destined for another turbo so it wasn't really an issue.. All this said, it needs sorting and I'm sure a solution will be come up with...

Beachbuggy may be able to help on that one pal god nose lol. Might be a copy he put on or what he get made gut still the inside is ported on dans k04 hybrids to 55 mm so I think it's just the wall that's very thin bill.

can u make same adapter but smaller ID to go over my turbo inlet bill if I get measurements

I can do yes, but a one of machine of one would be expensive. If you can accurately measure the OD to confirm its OD, then perhaps a bore out of your existing one, combined with a small ally insert to make up the gap would work for you.

Measure it first to confirm dimensions tho
Ta

I'll get my machine shop to see if it can be done... I've got both to hand..

Bill the 3mm gap alway around is what I guess at as it feel that loose maybe it is 1mm but feels worse just needs a spacer or new adapter making that's all need sorting ASAP as rick said that's may be the reason I was only getting 210 g/s as all the air was escaping and not going into the turbo unit.

have to add too that checked for play pieace of mind and nothing at all so a great uprated bearing kit also not CR turbo crap thanks dan.

Air won't escape, unmetered air will be drawn in... probably the reason for the lower airflow readings but fuel trims will be compensating and adding fuel.... this is intake side not boost side remember

<tuffty/>

Thanks dan and bill great help ill measure it with my calibrater when I get the car back and let u both no ASAP. I have a 15psi actuater to fit and a 034 inlet manifold iv just seen for sale.

then add a v4 mani if testing goes well

Air won't escape, unmetered air will be drawn in... probably the reason for the lower airflow readings but fuel trims will be compensating and adding fuel.... this is intake side not boost side remember

<tuffty/>
or sweet tuffty that is exactly what happened as rick said if it was the maf the fuel trims would be all over

dyno tomorrow with a temp fix to the intake?
(read tape :p pikey but will fix it short term to allow mapping to be completed and verified)

Lol haha he can only do what he can at this point then ill take it back for a tweak with the adapter sorted