1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3e bumper fit on A3 problem

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ronald_adi, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ronald_adi

ronald_adi Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170HP Quattro

Hi!

I just spent the day in my garadge fitting on a new S3 front bumper + Black grill only my wife's Audi (3 door, 2.0 tdi quattro). Everything went fine except for the last fit where the bumper meets the side fenders just under the or next to the front lights. I tried for hours but could get it to fit snugly! There is quite a gap.

So i was wondering if anyone else here has had some experience with this conversion and can explain if he also had issues here. i have a gap of about half a centimeter.

any help would be very much appreciated.
  2. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

have you changed the crash bar? IIRC they are a slightly different shape between the A3 and the S3
  3. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

It is probably the crash bar. You actually need to cut it down so it will fit
  4. ronald_adi

thanks for the quick reply! No I didnt change the crash bar. So you think this is what is causing the problem?
  5. ronald_adi

ok this would make sense. OK so then i need to know what exactly on the crash bar i need to cut. Has anyone on this forum taken pictures of what to cut? I have been searching the last 2hrs with no luck.
  6. kaz219

kaz219 Active Member

You need to trim the the sides of the bumper bar off...

You need to take a few inches off each side so it the length becomes shorter.
  7. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

All you got to do is take a strip off the corners 1 inch high & 10-15 cm's across the bottom at an angle from the inch high up side across into the middle if that makes any sense?

This link will show you
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3805360

Holpe it helps

Ashley
  8. kaz219

kaz219 Active Member

9. ronald_adi

right! ok. then cutting is what i am going to have to do!! Thanks guys!

While we are at it,.. i have then 2 other questions,..

1. I bought also the rear S3 bumper - the under grey part only. I thought i had read somewhere that it would simply fit on my car but now i am having doubts. Will it fit or do i have to buy also the rest of the S3 rear bumper?

2. I bought also the rear top spoiler. is that all i need or is there more to be bought in order to fit this spoiler. It would be good to know before i start removing stuff!

thanks guys in advance.
  10. ronald_adi

this is what i was looking for !! Thanks for the links Kaz219 and benskin
  11. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

There is some one on here about there being a little bit of a problem with teh exhaust tail pipes i believe and the s3 back bumper. I think you would need the rest of the s3 back bumper to fit that lower lip part i believe Im not 100% but im sure some one will come along and be able to help you.
    Regarding the spoiler it should be a straight swoop and fit to your wife car. Hope this helps

Ashley

12. ronald_adi

ok txs. i'll wait for someone to reply who knows more about the back bumper.
  13. Ash B

Ash B Active Member

Regarding the s3 bumper i think if you place it on will be a bit of a problem due to your exhaust not meeting up where its suppose to come out. I'll check over the forum for you and post the link
  14. ronald_adi

yes i know about the issue that the exhaust is slightly shifted so I will have to cut a bit. So the only remaining qs is whether I need to buy the whole remaining part of the back bumper.
  15. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

Hi Ronald

Is your car an S line? If so then being a 170hp, I will assume its newer than 2006? If thats the case then the S3 lower spoiler will fit perfect.

if its not then it will fit with some slight mods although it wont be direct. Easy way to tell which bumper you have is if it has a bump strip along it? If it has then its the older one, if its smooth all over then you have the newer S line one.
  16. ronald_adi

My car is not an S-line and it is from Dec 2006. And it DOES have a bump strip across it. So i guess thats my answer then. i need another back bumper. I'll try and find pics on the internet so that i understand the difference.

hey thanks Lee