S3

Mo

Reaction score
Hows it going guys,newbie here. im just about to order an S3, Wooo Hooooo!! and have a few questions. I planned to get this car in black but ive been put off a bit after reading here, that black doesnt do the car justice. Trouble is i've never seen it in black.
Does anyone have a pic ?

I was also going to spec the black/silver two tone seats until i went to the dealers today and had a look at some on an A3 that was practically brand new...they were really badly stained from the dye in clothes. I love the seats but it if means i cant wear new or nearly new jeans/trousers etc. i doubt i'll spec them.
Whats your thoughts ?

Finally Sat Nav.
What audio system should i pick to retro fit a RNS E.

Many thanks in advance guys

ps. Excited isnt the word!!!!!:rockwoot:

Black is not the best colour for the S3, silver is best me thinks and yes the light leather will stain with certain clothing.
I have the standard black seats, black headlining and brushed aluminium trim which is a good combination but the choice is yours.
Can't comment on audio choice.

Welcome to the S3 club, Enjoy.

If you are going to retro fit the RNS-E just go for the standard Concert double DIN head unit. In reality, any double DIN head unit with be a doddle to swap out though.

Personal preference, but for me black is best as it whispers menace but shouts CLASS.

BTW, make sure your build week is week 22 or later, so you get the 2008 model year spec.

Sinny71 said:
If you are going to retro fit the RNS-E just go for the standard Concert double DIN head unit. In reality, any double DIN head unit with be a doddle to swap out though.

How do you spec concert double DIN? I'm looking on the configuraotr and symphony is there but no concert.

And what's the difference between it and the basic concert? apart from size and more buttons?

TBH I don't think I'd get black if I were getting an S3. There are loads of black A3s about (like mine) but I reckon S3s should be a bit different. Are there any S3 exclusive colours?

rich1068 said:
TBH I don't think I'd get black if I were getting an S3. There are loads of black A3s about (like mine) but I reckon S3s should be a bit different. Are there any S3 exclusive colours?
yep sickly ****** orange.

Thanks for the quick replys. Its a tough one picking the colour, I dont think i have the cahonas to drive the orange or yellow. Silvers looking better everyday but im not sold on it yet, i love the way the mirrors stand out with the black paint but you can hardly see the styling of the bumper because of the subtle looks. I also thought moro blue looked good but again its very dark, hiding the beauty!!

Ive had worse decisions to make though, lol

TrevS3 said:
Black is not the best colour for the S3, silver is best me thinks and yes the light leather will stain with certain clothing.
I have the standard black seats, black headlining and brushed aluminium trim which is a good combination but the choice is yours.
Can't comment on audio choice.

Welcome to the S3 club, Enjoy.

Surely Sprint blue is the best colour :)
In all seriousness, i'm really chuffed with the sprint blue, after a polish and a coat of wax it really comes alive and after a long run up north on the M1 at the weekend it seems to make people get out of the way which made me chuckle!
Personally I think Black is very understated, perhaps too understated. For me the blue, silver, grey or if you're very brave white are the colours for this car!

Here's some pics of mine in sprint blue:
IMG_1944NR.jpg

IMG_1945NR.jpg

IMG_1947NR.jpg

IMG_1953NR.jpg

Enjoy the wait mate - it nearly drove me mad!!!

I'd be considering white, silver & sprint blue if it were me. I'd don't think black works aswell with those S wheels personally, perhaps it would be different in person.

I saw a yellow S-Line the other week and thought it looked awesome. An S3 in yellow would like even better.

I have to say that I am totally happy with my red S3. Not a popular colour I know but the red/silver/black interior really goes well together.
I saw a black one and it needs to be clean otherwise nothing seems to stand out. Although it was newish it looked decidedly 2nd hand. Similar thoughts on the grey colour. People who have seen the yellow are not impressed.
The blue looks good and would have been my 2nd choice.

prt

prt57 said:
I have to say that I am totally happy with my red S3. Not a popular colour I know but the red/silver/black interior really goes well together.
prt

Can you post any pics? Not seen a red one yet!!

Greetings fellow northerner! glad you could join us!

where abouts in belfast you from Mo?

Im originally from coleraine but live in greenisland for working in belfast!

havent seen any of the new S3's over here yet so you might be the first!!

i take it you are getting the S3 from boucher Rd??

Boydie said:
i take it you are getting the S3 from boucher Rd??
You can't beat the boys on the Boucher Road for quality of service. It's about 75 miles each way from my house to them, but I'd still make the trip for any work I need doing on the car, rather than chance it with some of the cowboys down here.

i didnt even realise that you were from ireland marc lol

where you coming from? there is a large audi garage now in portadown which might be handier to you - its at the Cairn Industrial Estate!

Boydie said:
i didnt even realise that you were from ireland marc lol

where you coming from? there is a large audi garage now in portadown which might be handier to you - its at the Cairn Industrial Estate!
I'm coming from about 25 miles south of Dundalk.

Portadown would be closer than Belfast, but ss you can probably tell, it is not really about the convenience - there are 5 or 6 different Audi Service Centers within 25-30 miles of me. It is really just down to the quality of service provided. Plus the 75 mile trip is enjoyable - pretty much motorway and dual carriageway all the way. some nice twisty bits between banbridge and hillsborough. it's really only an hour door to door, so it's not that bad.

just be carefull coming into newry! :p

i dont know yet if you southerner's can collect our penalty points yet lol

are you a member of any other websites at all? there are several good irish enthusiast websites

Boydie said:
just be carefull coming into newry! :p

i dont know yet if you southerner's can collect our penalty points yet lol

are you a member of any other websites at all? there are several good irish enthusiast websites
newry's not so bad now that you can bypass it! I've always said that the best thing to come out of newry was the A1 :)

we can't get the penalty points, but if we get pulled over by an overzealous psni-man they are well able to give a stern talking to and relieve you of a few notes.

not a member of any of the irish sites - i checked out vagdrivers.net once or twice but didn't think too much of it. are there other ones you know of?

there are general car enthusiast sites that involve all cars - basically all the chat of the day, meets, classifieds etc..

the one i mainly use is www.reallymeansounds.com

i would recommend to have a wee nosey at it - its mainly NI based but does do southern coverage and has some southern members

the other site is www.jon44w.com - a bit immature i find but grand none the less

Boydie said:
there are general car enthusiast sites that involve all cars - basically all the chat of the day, meets, classifieds etc..

the one i mainly use is www.reallymeansounds.com

i would recommend to have a wee nosey at it - its mainly NI based but does do southern coverage and has some southern members

the other site is www.jon44w.com - a bit immature i find but grand none the less
yeah, i'd seen jon44w, but think it is frequented by too many boy racers with souped up fiestas and corsas. not really my cup of tea. they had a couple of "cruises" in dundalk over the years, but looked very amateurish. not many decent cars at them in my opinion. not sure how parking in a carpark constitutes a cruise though.

i'll take a look at the rms one later.

Colour choice for me was either sprint blue or black, very happy with the black, meguired it over the weekend and went for a walk along the beach.

Walking back to it glistening in the sunlight with the sun reflecting off the chrome was just awesome it looked "wet" :hubbahubba: and two guys were standing there clearly admiring it or trying to nick it lol !

It is understated but i think that's the very essence of what Audi were trying to acheive with the S3.

Whatever colour you go for you won't regret buying it i guarantee it.

MarcQuinlivan said:
yeah, i'd seen jon44w, but think it is frequented by too many boy racers with souped up fiestas and corsas. not really my cup of tea. they had a couple of "cruises" in dundalk over the years, but looked very amateurish. not many decent cars at them in my opinion. not sure how parking in a carpark constitutes a cruise though.

i'll take a look at the rms one later.

times have changed Marc lol carpark cruising is the "thing" now - too many people complain about police etc... so this is what happens now

i would agree with you about j44, imo RMS is a much better site, more mature and better layed out

might not be what you are looking for in a site but you get to know a lot of decent people who are close to home!

Nice 1 Didge cheers. Last night it was definetly silver then on the way to work i saw a 2.0T Q S/line in black with chrome mirrors and it looked soooo slick so im back at square one!!

Im from South Belfast Boydie !! Cruisin's not my cup of tea either, went on a few when i was a kid but im not interested anymore. If i wanted to show off id be getting a TT!!

Marc, your right about Boucher they treat you like royalty in there compared to other places. Top notch service. Ive heard portadowns good too.

And thanks for all the photos and replies. Havnt figured out how to do a quick thanks yet, anyone know? Never mind i wasnt logged in !!!!

nice one Mo, i hardly go cruising anymore - i did when i was 17/18/19 but i would stil make an appearance down the port some sundays in the summer

cant miss easter weekend lol

when you get your S3 post pics up on the RMS site i posted about above! there should be a few VAG meets over the summer which you should attend! :D

staz1000 said:
How do you spec concert double DIN? I'm looking on the configuraotr and symphony is there but no concert.

And what's the difference between it and the basic concert? apart from size and more buttons?
The A3 brochure says standard equipment on all models is the the Chorus, then there is the Concert on higher models including the S3.

All are double DIN units though and I think all new A3's or A4's have double DIN units as standard now.

Should make retro fitting simple enough for all then.

Sinny71 said:
The A3 brochure says standard equipment on all models is the the Chorus, then there is the Concert on higher models including the S3.

All are double DIN units though and I think all new A3's or A4's have double DIN units as standard now.

Should make retro fitting simple enough for all then.
Ah yes mine is the chorus not concert.

I thought I'd seen a chorus on an S3 though. Or am I wrong?

EDIT: Just had a look at the configurator and you're right. And it's standard on my car now!

Also mine has the illuminated vanity mirrors as standard. Are these standard on the S3 or do you have to get the lights pack?

I don't think so, Concert is the standard sound system if you don't specify symphony or sat nav.... What year is your car?

Pedro

Does the basic sat nav have a colour screen? Is this the same as the RNS-E?

No, it has a smaller screen and less colors, or is black and white, don't know for sure.