1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Xenon interals into Halogen housing ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mattyboy199, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

As title, got my car back from the repairers & they have replaced one headlight so now the other looks worn & dated. A whole new unit is £500ish, so looking at other possibilities any help would be nice.

Matt
  2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Should be... was thinking of doing this myself as ECP sell new A3 halogen units pretty cheap

<tuffty/>
  3. mattyboy199

You could just change the lense but i m unsure how different the reflective inners will be. I may even buy the unit try to change it over completely & if its not possible then just change the lense. Thanks for the answer Tuffty need more than a should though sorry.
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

I doubt you will get much more than a 'should' tbh... if it was something someone had undertaken it would have been documented by now...

Lens and shell should be the same... internals are the things that are different... good luck with it and if you do actually go ahead then post a thread with plenty of pics ;P

<tuffty/>
  5. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Yes it will work. I e had both apart to clean up and reseal due to water leaking in. The problem youll have is trying to get the d2s bulbs and ballasts to attach in place. For the time and effort it would you take i would buy a aftermarket hid kit as it will be easier todo.
  6. mattyboy199

when you say aftermarket kit do you mean headlight housing only ? whats the issue with attaching the ballasts ?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. Dani_B19

sorry mate dont follow the first question.

attaching the ballasts is easy, either attach them under the headlight like the standard ones, attach to the headlight backing cover or attach to the inner part of the wing next to the headlight.
  8. mattyboy199

sorry i ll explain it a bit better. I have an S3 with standard xenons. The insurance have replaced one of the headlights, the remaining now looks very dated & used compared to the new one. Due to the cost of a new unit can i just use a halogen housing to slip my existing internals into (sounds dodgy) to get the desired effect.
  9. dougie175

dougie175 Member

Matt it would be far easier to just re-condition your other headlight.

All headlights are lacquered, all that is required is to sand off all the lacquer, then re lacquer. Its a bit more in depth than that but its a process we do at least once a week, we do it on brand new audis all the time where people have scarped their headlight and dont want to pay £700 for a new unit.

Re lacquering your old headlight will make it look brand new and make the plastic crystal clear again, it is a VAS (aka VAG) approved product too.

Most places will charge around £40-50 that do this service
  10. Dani_B19

Yes, just take the lense of the new headlight you buy and swap it with the old lense on your existing headlight.
  11. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

12. mattyboy199

my only concern with just lense swaping is the metalic finish in side being faded although you wouldnt think this happens. Just need to find a genuine headlight for alright money.
  13. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Im sure if you do a search Bhavin1986 did a polish of his headlights, the end result was as if they were brand new lights....
  14. mattyboy199

i ordered a turtle wax headlight restoration kit yesterday, will see how that pans out. £18 could be a winner.