S3 WOT Box

eXile

Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has fitted a WOT box to a 2000 S3 (wotbox - www2)

Any negative effects? How hard to install?

Thanks!

Reactions: Inertiauk
ive fitted one in mine, havnt used it yet to report, but ive been in a mk4 golf with one fitted and its a blast! The noises!! Lol

dont know of any negative effects aslong as you accept the purpose of it may cause wear on parts that wouldnt normally occur.

For e.g. Be wary if your fitting it to launch then obv clutch life will deteriorate.

Its easy to install!

ive seen these things, the seat boys seem to like them! was thinking about getting one for mine, maybe we could sort a group buy?
Love the noises! big pops and bangs! lol

Ye the LCR guys like these but think two have put a rod through the block with this installed. I know one recently had a hole in his block a few miles after installing one of these.

Plus a mate of mine with a stage 2+ 8P S3 engine went bang recently and he had a WOT box.

Dont know if the WOT was the reason for these failures but just letting you guys know.

yeah thats the only thing that puts me off, you do hear of these horror stories but then other guys have them fitted to thousands of miles and swear by them! may just have to just play around on unisettings with fueling on the overrun for the pops and bangs!

Sorry for being a noob but was is a WOT box

Yep where im having my BT conversion done there is a leon with 2 bent rods due to WOT box

Sorry for being a noob but was is a WOT box

WOT (Wide Open Throttle) I believe it allows you to change gear whilst keeping your foot flat to the floor, therefore not allowing the boost to drop off when you would normally take your foot off the gas to change gear, theres also a launch control feature on it, have a look on the website, its all explained on there!

You should only have problems if everything isn't running well or its a bad map, a WOT box will show up problems a lot sooner though

Ive had many conversations over this subject, and my thoughts are...

If you have a crap cheap flash map, possibly with problems also and you fit a wotbox and then program it wrong, then why be surprised when a rod decides to part company with your block.

Every person ive spoken to who has a decent setup, knows the limitations and understands the programming loves their wotbox. Ive also discussed this with Andy Out who fits them all the time and he reckons with a decent setup, decent map and if you program it right, it is a great mod.

WOT (Wide Open Throttle) I believe it allows you to change gear whilst keeping your foot flat to the floor, therefore not allowing the boost to drop off when you would normally take your foot off the gas to change gear, theres also a launch control feature on it, have a look on the website, its all explained on there!

Whats the difference in a wot box and just keeping your foot on the accelerator during a gear change? Both sound abit of a no no for me anyway. I don't think it would be worth risking for the minimal gains :nyah:

Hold the accelerator down and the engine will rev up slightly during changes. Factor in that youll be doing this quite high up the rev range and your momentum will ensure that this little blip in the revs is quite big. Say 1krpm? If you change and let it rev up 1krpm at the top of the rev range that 1krpm all of a sudden is in danger territory. And you probably will throw a rod or drop a valve. The gearbox also needs this slight decrease in engine speed to ensure the synchromesh meets and you dont kill your box.

The wotbox momentarily cuts the ignition (in milliseconds, all programmable), preventing this blip in the revs, ensuring that you can have full power down at all times, not lose boost or momentum and cutting time off gear changes.

The popping and banging on changes is because fuel is still being injected and this can ignite giving that rally car esque sound. With quicker changes and sensiblle programming the noise can be reduced obv.

A big point also is that the wotbox is a device that places the car under strain because of the very nature of its use. If you launched constantly and drove at the top of the range with quick shifts you would probably kill your lump anyway even without the box. It is purely an aid in these circumstances.

Clutch switches are a big necessity on the 20vt lumps as its common for these to fail. The wotbox receives the signal from the clutch switch to activate a launch or no lift shift. If yours is dud then then driving in an extreme manner will probably kill your lump also.

Im safeguarding against all these possible outcomes by havin a good strong forged block, uprated valvetrain, decent custom mapping and only regular use of the wotbox features, as mine is only a weekend road car with possible sprints in mind. Thats where the wotbox meets my requirements. Use it all the time to show your mates and drive on the road and beware...

Last edited:
Keep your foot down and change gear?? That's something a chav would do in a Ford Fiesta. Second of all, why would you want launch control?......... We have Quattro! If you can't launch an S3 then you don't know your S3.

Im not saying i do that im just making the comparison although that reminds me i must get rid of my shell suits :laugh:

Second of all, why would you want launch control?......... We have Quattro! If you can't launch an S3 then you don't know your S3.

Do you realise WRC cars, etc have launch control? Launch control will cut ignition spark to ensure boost is there, which you can't do 'by foot'