1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 - With a couple of issues- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Mi7rennie, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

[Oct 16, 2012]
    Hi Guys,

Just got my S3 through its MOT and taxed yesterday. She seems to be driving pretty well but has a couple of faults I was hoping you could help diagnose.

• ESP flashing when accelerating gently from low speed - sometimes this leaves a soft fault until the next start up.
    • ABS light going off when braking gently and also leaving a soft fault on the dash.
    • Temperature gauge will sit on 90 when stationary but drops down as I drive - suspect the thermostat, what do you think?

The history of the car is that is has been sitting for a few months unused.

I had to fit a rear ABS sensor I used this one: Audi A3 8L1 Hatch Bosch Rear ABS Sensor Genuine Brake Wheel Speed Sensor | eBay

The longitudinal acceleration sensor from behind the glove box was missing so I replaced that.

Apart from that it was just tyres, ball joints and anti roll bar bushings for the MOT.

Can you suggest any common faults I should check?
  2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Oct 16, 2012]
    I would suggest a 4 wheel alignment mate... esp as you have moved ball joints etc..
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 16, 2012]
    Is the steering wheel on straight when driving in a straight line? dodgy ABS wiring to the sensors sometimes cause this too

<tuffty/>
  4. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

[Oct 16, 2012]
    I meant to mention that, the wheel is about 10 / 15 degrees off the straight ahead.

It also looks like a lot of camber on the back wheels and I can't see any adjustment, the car is lowered on eibach springs.
  5. <tuffty/>

[Oct 16, 2012]
    Gotta love it when peeps leave that little bit of info out lol...

Righty... as said, get a wheel alignment done... the steering wheel needs to be straight as the steering angle sensor will be out of calibration and the ABS/ESP system will think you are turning a corner but get confused as the speed sensors are reading the same and not a differential as the ECU is expecting..

Rear camber needs adjustable tie bars to bring back in then get a 4 wheel laser alignment

<tuffty/>
  6. Mi7rennie

Mi7rennie Member

[Oct 16, 2012]
    OK great, I'll get it booked in for later this week.

I'm not sure if I can afford the read tie bars just now but at least I'll get the front sorted.

Would that also explain the ABS getting confused?
  7. <tuffty/>

[Oct 16, 2012]
    Potentially yes... assuming no other issues exist... get the alignment done first then take it from there...

<tuffty/>
  8. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 16, 2012]
    Assuming you have the same Eibach springs I had previously, the rear camber is not a major issue, unless you are doing mega mileage. Mine wore out evenly at the back, but I do like to take corners quickly in mine!
  9. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

[Oct 16, 2012]
    Temp issues is probably thermostat but a vcds scan might point to the coolant temp sensor
  10. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

[Oct 16, 2012]
    how much does a wheel alignment cost roughly? My 8P3 is probably 3-4 degrees to the left on the steering wheel