S3 Wishbone Removal Guide?

Lovegroover

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might find a DIY guide for replacing the wishbone bushes?
I've had a good search but can't seem to find anything....
I know several people on here have done it (the old bush in the freezer trick etc.)

What are you replacing with? The easiest way is to get new wishbones as they come with bushes. If you must remove the old bushes, use a hacksaw and cut through the metal ring that the rubber of the bush is bonded to, and then band it in and hammer it out.

I was just going to replace with standard bushes from the Stealers?
Just really wanted to know Torques for nuts and bolts to be removed and if there was any specific procedure to enable a smooth(er) process !!

It's covered in the Haynes manual for the A3. I am assuming it is no different for the S3.

again im not sure for the S3, but call GSF as they wil prob be cheaper..failing that, eurocarparts. For the A3, its cheaper to get a whole new arm than faffing about replacing the bushes.

Anyone fitted the cheap wishbones to an S3? Pressed Steel instead of forged alloy as far as i know. They are £40 instead of £130 respectively!!
I think i'm just going to get new bushes pressed into the original arms - local independant wants £170 for the pleasure.

All bolts tight! And just remove the Arm Get a socket the same size as the bush and Hammer out. Same procedure with the new one being a little more careful. Really isn't that hard! 30-45mins a side. Got mine out on the kirb at home!!

Anyone fitted the cheap wishbones to an S3? Pressed Steel instead of forged alloy as far as i know. They are £40 instead of £130 respectively!!
I think i'm just going to get new bushes pressed into the original arms - local independant wants £170 for the pleasure.

I tried to source a set of cheap wishbones as i bent 1 of mine, i could not find anything that would fit other than genuine Audi parts. If you find any cheap wishbones that fit a S3 let me know.

All bolts tight! And just remove the Arm Get a socket the same size as the bush and Hammer out. Same procedure with the new one being a little more careful. Really isn't that hard! 30-45mins a side. Got mine out on the kirb at home!!

Cheers - I thought it might be a little trickier than that, but if that's the case I might just give it a go myself the best part of £200 seems a bit steep when times are hard :beerchug:

jacko4130 said:
If you find any cheap wishbones that fit a S3 let me know.

Got those prices from Euro Car parts - look on their website or give them a call - these worried me due to the change in unsprung weight etc.