S3 Wing Mirrors STOLEN !!

Does anyone know an outfit that could etch the chasis number on the inner (inward facing) part of the mirror housing, so that it could be seen when folded in? I for one fancy keeping the mirrors on my 07' S3

I (and possibly some other S3 owners) am looking to get some 2007 audi s3 mirrors (made of aluminium) security etched, with "Stolen from <numberplate> Phone <phone number>”. Would this be possible, along with a few other items on the car?

Thanks

how about making them quick release so you can pop them off and put them in the boot!?

The guy who's selling them on the bay has taken a picture of himself in the mirror, can someone enhance it so we can see what he looks like. Keep an eye out for him like...

prt57 said:
b) Is there a guide to getting the silver caps off without damaging them in any way at all?
you'll find two small screws under the mirror on the black plastic bit - remove these. (this is not necessarily required, but I've found it makes the casing a bit easier to remove.
next remove the mirror glass by pushing it all the way in or out so you can get your fingers in behind one side of it, and gently prise the glass out. It his held on by a circular clip thing in the centre. I had my lovely new car for all of 10 minutes and was swapping my standard casings for my S3 casings and managed to split the passenger mirror glass.

once you have the glass out, you should be able to see how the casing comes off. from memory it comes off in a twisting motion downwards and to the rear of the car. once you have one off the other is much easier.

If you're really stuck, you could always try to track down a be-tracksuited teenager in your local area who'll be more than happy to remove them for you.

Hi, PRT57,

a) You can get pre sprayed or just primed from the factory.

Cost of dealer parts (I know I've been back a few times !!)

- Pre sprayed colour coded caps cost £81 / side
- Alu Caps are £168 / Side
- Glass (std - not anti dazzle, not convex etc) costs £23 / side
- Mounts are £58 / Side
- 2hrs Labour charged at £260

Total cost should be £760 for ALU caps and £584 for colour coded from a dealer

I have quoted with a number of dealers, most will try and charge for 3 hrs work .. Audi recommend 2 hrs for the job so make sure you only pay for 2 hrs !! They may also try and charge for anti dazzle or convex tinted mirrors - std work perfectly well !

I currently have Phantom Black colour coded with std glass (etched with No. Plate)

rcourtney quick question...
How did you etch on the no.plate? And where did you etch them?

pacnet said:
Does anyone know an outfit that could etch the chasis number on the inner (inward facing) part of the mirror housing, so that it could be seen when folded in? I for one fancy keeping the mirrors on my 07' S3

Thats a great idea, I'll be watching this thread with interest! Autoglass used to etch reg numbers onto glass, not sure if they still do it. Might be worth a quick call.

A4Quattro said:
The guy who's selling them on the bay has taken a picture of himself in the mirror, can someone enhance it so we can see what he looks like. Keep an eye out for him like...

Is this him?
chav.jpg

rcourtney said:
Hi, PRT57,

a) You can get pre sprayed or just primed from the factory.

Cost of dealer parts (I know I've been back a few times !!)

- Pre sprayed colour coded caps cost £81 / side
- Alu Caps are £168 / Side
- Glass (std - not anti dazzle, not convex etc) costs £23 / side
- Mounts are £58 / Side
- 2hrs Labour charged at £260

Total cost should be £760 for ALU caps and £584 for colour coded from a dealer

I have quoted with a number of dealers, most will try and charge for 3 hrs work .. Audi recommend 2 hrs for the job so make sure you only pay for 2 hrs !! They may also try and charge for anti dazzle or convex tinted mirrors - std work perfectly well !

I currently have Phantom Black colour coded with std glass (etched with No. Plate)

Thanks for the info regarding the prices.
I was under the impression that you had to get the caps sprayed in this country. Painted at the factory would be better as the colour should be spot on.
Why the massive labour charge, I thought it would be off with the silver caps and on with the red!!

Cheers, prt

pacnet said:

And how would this stop them from being stolen?

The thief would not waste his/her time looking for a chassis/number plate number on them whilst pilfering.

If found after the pilfer it would be simply ground/filed off and if not by the seller then probs the buyer as they would want them no matter what!

You can never prevent crime completely, but you can make it as difficult as possible, to the point where it isn't worth the effort.

If we all had our registration numbers etched, nicking S3 mirrors would no longer be such a profitable crime. Filing away any etching will only devalue the item due to damage, and will also be more effort for the criminal to prepare them for sale. Lets face it, they will probably be so high on drugs they cant be bothered anyway.

But ultimately there are people out there who will not mind buying a set of nicked mirrors and the whole point about etching the registration number on them where it is not visible means that some people will still be happy to buy them as you won't be able to see it. The reality is that they will always be nickable and that is the price we all have to pay for having desirable toys. Sad but True

IH786 said:
I can see my S3 out of the bedroom window, and if i hear anything, i always take a qucik glance out of the window. We have CCTV installed and a sign stating that, so if anyone did try something, they would be on tape :nunu:
All the sign will do is warn them so, when they do come round for them, they'll be wearing ballaclavas.

S3 LTN said:
rcourtney quick question...
How did you etch on the no.plate? And where did you etch them?

Inside the Caps and on the bottom right hand corner of the glass - its not noticeable while driving but if you look at the mirrors you can clearly see that the number plate is etched on them. After having them stolen twice in two weeks; they havent been touched.

Glass isn't expensive to replace so dont mind marking it inorder to give a visable deterrent. If I move i'll change the glass

Used an etching pen - very cheap and very simple to use

Hope that helps

rcourtney said:
Inside the Caps and on the bottom right hand corner of the glass - its not noticeable while driving but if you look at the mirrors you can clearly see that the number plate is etched on them. After having them stolen twice in two weeks; they havent been touched.

Glass isn't expensive to replace so dont mind marking it inorder to give a visable deterrent. If I move i'll change the glass

Used an etching pen - very cheap and very simple to use

Hope that helps

Brilliant mate. Thanks alot for that. Don't want to give any W***** that chance of nicking them.

Cheers:icon_thumright: