S3 Wing Mirrors STOLEN !!

rcourtney

Reaction score
I'm not happy ...

I woke up this morning to find that someone removed both of the wing mirrors from my '07 S3 !! They were wrenched them off sometime between 7:30pm on the 17th and 8am on the 18th of Aug

I called the dealer that I bought the car from, they told me that its quite common !! They said that i'd need to take the car in, but they thought it would cost about £800 to replace them !!

I'd love to know if anyone else has had the same done to their car, or has any advise on what I can do to replace them - I really dont want to pay £800 !

If the pikey that stole them is reading this .. I'll buy them back off you; just tell me where you live ... :nunu:

Mutha Hubbards!

This sort of thing enrages me so much! If I saw someone doing something like that to my car I'd probably end up doing time!

Joking aside, have a look on ebay. You will probably find some there

jasaudi said:
Joking aside, have a look on ebay. You will probably find some there

He might even find the thief on ebay!

These aluminum wing mirrors are hot items. Many like to retro fit them on their A3's (me included). As far as I know the new S3 wing mirror no longer use the real aluminum material, they use the plastic ones with aluminum look.

If my info is correct, I would suggest you to look on ebay and get some there instead of paying 800 pounds from Audi.

sorry to hear this about your car

it worries me that mine maybe ripped off to be sold on for a few quid!!!

This happened to someone else on here, same car, can't remember who it was though. Talking to the dealer a few weeks ago were they had 3 new RS4's outside, he said they have to put those cars indoors overnight as the mirrors get stolen, appears to be the same with the S3 now. People steal them apparently to make there cars look like S models. Sad Bas*#^$s.
Anyway sorry to here this mate hope you get it sorted soon.

Mark

i thought they were plastic on the new s3, mine are i also have a pair of brushed aluminium mirrors off my old s3 they are boxed with all paper work addressed to me. im supposed to be selling them to a mate i,ve had a deposit off him for about six weeks now, don,t think he still wants them though.not sure if these will fit yours im only looking for £250 they don,t come with the mirror glass though.

markwiggy said:
Looks like they may be in Norway !!! :yes:

Ah .... shiiitte, busted! :moa:

ok, back to rcourtney, I got mine from 88-tuning. They have some on ebay.co.uk now for 65 pounds "buy-it-now" price.

fraud said:
i thought they were plastic on the new s3, mine are i also have a pair of brushed aluminium mirrors off my old s3 they are boxed with all paper work addressed to me. im supposed to be selling them to a mate i,ve had a deposit off him for about six weeks now, don,t think he still wants them though.not sure if these will fit yours im only looking for £250 they don,t come with the mirror glass though.

No they are proper aluminium (or should be!), the bodyshop i was taking to said they have gone back to putting proper aluminium on them on the S3 as the RS4 had plastic ones on.

rcourtney said:
I'm not happy ...
I'd love to know if anyone else has had the same done to their car, or has any advise on what I can do to replace them - I really dont want to pay £800 !

Can you go through your insurance company?

markwiggy said:
Think they are plastic you know.

Mark

Just been to check, think they are Aluminium.

Better nail them to the car for added security, glad I've got a garage.

Mark

Unfortunatly it would be more expensive for me to claim from on my insurance, pay the excess and lose my no claims discount than it would be for me to pay £800 !!

If i'm going to lose my no claims, i'd rather park it in Brixton and claim for a whole new car !

Any suggestions about where I could get some replacements - I have looked on VAGParts etc, but can only find old stlye. I really want to replace like for like withuot spending $$$$

well when you have a car with 'special bits' on which denote 'your car is better' people are going to get jealous and help themselves - its just the world we live in - you pays your money and you takes your chance!

However, i do hope the culprits die a painful, slow death.

mitch78 said:
Nope, they're definitely plastic. A bit of a shame really, especially for the money they want for them!

Not according to the Audi Bodyshop!

Mine seem metallic as opposed to plastic...

If these mirrors are always getting stolen it's about time Audi connected them to the alarm:busted_cop:

JamS3 said:
Mine seem metallic as opposed to plastic...

So do mine, and don't appear painted either.
Although the specs list on Audi.co.uk says ''exterior mirror housings in matt aluminium look'' so that would mean they are not matt aluminium unless the spec was changed.

Mark

i can tell you where another s3 is parked :laugh:

rcourtney said:
I really want to replace like for like withuot spending $$$$

I had the body coloured mirrors on my 02 plate S3 for this very reason.

I`d be very careful about replacing the mirrors with the same S3 style ones again, I`m sure the charming people who stole yours will do a drive by in a week or two to see if you`ve got a sparkling new set on your car for them to steal.

Personally, I`d stick some standard A3 mirrors on there. It`s a sad state of affairs but that`s modern Britain I guess.

They tried to steal my mirrors as well, the first week after I got my S3.
To remove the mirrors without damaging them you need to open both doors, as the S3 is "hard locked" and you can´t open the doors from the inside (if locked with the remote).

This resulted in the theif trying to force my drivers door lock with a screw driver.

Thanks Audi for providing a good lock because he/them was unable to open the door.

As I know this will happen again if I replace the lock I took 5 spikes and pushed them into the broken lock together with two component glue.
They haven´t touched my car since.. but two nights later they nicked my neighbours stereo.

Not too good if the remote stops working, but hell, I will have Audi Assistance for as long as I own this car.

Battersea Audi have just told me that another 56 plate S3 also had its mirrors stolen on friday ...

Oh and the good news is that apparently my doors need rewiring as well.

rcourtney said:
I'm not happy ...

I woke up this morning to find that someone removed both of the wing mirrors from my '07 S3 !! They were wrenched them off sometime between 7:30pm on the 17th and 8am on the 18th of Aug

I called the dealer that I bought the car from, they told me that its quite common !! They said that i'd need to take the car in, but they thought it would cost about £800 to replace them !!

If the pikey that stole them is reading this .. I'll buy them back off you; just tell me where you live ... :nunu:

Mate.. had the same thing happen to me about 3 months back (about 3 weeks after I collected the car).. and to say I was not happy would be a total understatement. Both mirrors were ripped clearly off with only the wires dangling off :gun2:

£800 sounds pretty much spot on.. had mine replaced by Finchley Road Audi and they did a good job. Cleaned the car inside and out in the same visit. Most of the price is for labour (2hrs) and the caps (£150/pair) :noway: .

I do genuinely feel for you mate.

-Sal-

PS. Mine were nicked whilst the car was parked in Hampstead.. so could well have been the same lot.

if this is such a problem why dont audi fit some kind of lock to the aluminium wing mirrors, or make the so difficult to remove that only audi can take em off at the dealership? As far as I can see if you have the aluminium wing mirrors you wont want to take them off yourself so why not have only alu mirrors have an audi specific lock on them or something. Suppose people may just trash or key the car in frustration of not being able to take the mirrors off but it would be some protection.

cooky

We should all start postcoding them on the underneath with those UV pens and publicise the fact.

May put the odd person off (if it does 1 person then its worked) and should soon put a few people off selling them them on ebay!

Why not have the chassis number machined into the underside of the aluminuim wing mirror from the factory. You wont see it from the front or side, if its filed off you know its ****** dodgy and stolen.

cooky

sjahS3 said:
£800 sounds pretty much spot on.. had mine replaced by Finchley Road Audi and they did a good job. Cleaned the car inside and out in the same visit. Most of the price is for labour (2hrs) and the caps (£150/pair) :noway: .

Wimbledon Audi are quoting for 3 hrs work ... might have to have a word. Did you have to have the doors rewired or were they able to fit the mirrors using the wires that were left ? I have wires hanging out each side. Apparently the other that was done had them cut off with bolt cutters - apparently he needs new window trim etc as well as new mirrors ... ouch !!

I guess its one of these things and i'll just have to take the hit. :blownose:
I just hope that once its fixed they dont come back to steal the new ones !!

JamS3 said:
We should all start postcoding them on the underneath with those UV pens and publicise the fact.

May put the odd person off (if it does 1 person then its worked) and should soon put a few people off selling them them on ebay!

Good idea.. :icon_thumright:

Prob wouldn't stop them from ripping them off but at least would be more difficult to sell on then.

-Sal-

rcourtney said:
Wimbledon Audi are quoting for 3 hrs work ... might have to have a word. Did you have to have the doors rewired or were they able to fit the mirrors using the wires that were left ? I have wires hanging out each side. Apparently the other that was done had them cut off with bolt cutters - apparently he needs new window trim etc as well as new mirrors ... ouch !!

I guess its one of these things and i'll just have to take the hit. :blownose:
I just hope that once its fixed they dont come back to steal the new ones !!

I'd take a couple of days off work, park the car where they nicked them the first time, and camp out watching the car with a baseball bat.

sjahS3 said:
Prob wouldn't stop them from ripping them off but at least would be more difficult to sell on then.

Unless the buyer doesn't care if they've been stolen or not... :ermm:

SamDude said:
Unless the buyer doesn't care if they've been stolen or not... :ermm:

Of course, you are never going to erradicate crime but it would help quite a bit as i'm sure some people would think twice buying them.

£800 is a heck of a lot to replace them. Think I paid about £250 for my S3/S4 mirrors from Audi when I got mine. They where S4 mirrors as 8P S3 wasn't out when I got mine.

I'd be gutted too if this happened to me. Never thought about this to be honest on mine maybe I should think where I leave my car sometimes if this is starting to happen a fair bit now :(

rcourtney said:
Wimbledon Audi are quoting for 3 hrs work ... might have to have a word. Did you have to have the doors rewired or were they able to fit the mirrors using the wires that were left ? I have wires hanging out each side.

Soz about the delayed response mate.. I didn't have the doors rewired AFAIK. They were left dangling out from the housing, so I'm assuming that Audi would have been able to reuse them :think:

Scr0at$ did a pretty clean job in taking them off mine to be honest but left me with a nice 2 inch scratch in the A-pillar and a couple of minor dents in the driver's door :(

-Sal-