S3 Wind noise - Drivers side

Smiffi

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

do any of your cars suffer from wind noise from the drivers side window. I can't tell if it's coming from the window rubber or the mirror casing? Oh yeah, I have a 2 door for what it's worth.

Cheers in advance.

Mine suffers from this, took a look at the seal that goes right around the door itself and it looks split, its not the window on mine, definitely the door seal where it cushions against the door frame!!

Mine suffers from this, took a look at the seal that goes right around the door itself and it looks split, its not the window on mine, definitely the door seal where it cushions against the door frame!!

I'll take a look at that tomorrow and if there is a split (which I hope there is) I will get Audi to fix it.

Cheers

Was it split and did you sort it Smiffi?

My new A3 is doing this the last week and wondering if I should take it back into Audi!

Cheers

Was it split and did you sort it Smiffi?

My new A3 is doing this the last week and wondering if I should take it back into Audi!

Cheers

Sorry for the delay Apoc.

The seal is in tact and there is still bad wind noise from about 40mph upwards. Really annoying. I haven't got round to take it Audi yet. I don't like the idea of one of the young techs hooning around on a 'test drive' just to find out they can't do anything. There is another thread about SB's suggesting it could be the new design wing mirrors deflecting the airflow towards the door seals but I have discounted this by driving with the mirror case in various positions. I don't really know what else to do other than put up with it. Not whay I expected when buying a spanking new Audi!

Sorry for the delay Apoc.

The seal is in tact and there is still bad wind noise from about 40mph upwards. Really annoying. I haven't got round to take it Audi yet. I don't like the idea of one of the young techs hooning around on a 'test drive' just to find out they can't do anything. There is another thread about SB's suggesting it could be the new design wing mirrors deflecting the airflow towards the door seals but I have discounted this by driving with the mirror case in various positions. I don't really know what else to do other than put up with it. Not whay I expected when buying a spanking new Audi!

I have got the same problem with my 12 plate A3 Sportsback Black Edition. See here.

Thanks.

Ok this morning I was determined to sort this out before going to work. So just before getting on the motorway I had ago at putting tape all around the front doors: No noise difference, i.e. nothing wrong with the sealing on the door neither the door needs any kind of adjustment which some people have suggested in other forums. So I went back to the same point of the motorway just to make sure I was on the same road and same wind direction and put some tape on the mirror itself in the following places: (i) across the bottom of the mirror where the two sections of the mirror meet together (ii) on top of mirror covering that channel strip; result: major difference. Noise is still there but I would say its reduced by 70% (bearing in mind that I only did the driver side mirror only). I will monitor the situation in the next week or so and report back.

Ok this morning I was determined to sort this out before going to work. So just before getting on the motorway I had ago at putting tape all around the front doors: No noise difference, i.e. nothing wrong with the sealing on the door neither the door needs any kind of adjustment which some people have suggested in other forums. So I went back to the same point of the motorway just to make sure I was on the same road and same wind direction and put some tape on the mirror itself in the following places: (i) across the bottom of the mirror where the two sections of the mirror meet together (ii) on top of mirror covering that channel strip; result: major difference. Noise is still there but I would say its reduced by 70% (bearing in mind that I only did the driver side mirror only). I will monitor the situation in the next week or so and report back.

Nice one Zaid. Defo keep us updated with your results. It's still doing my head in!

Nice one Zaid. Defo keep us updated with your results. It's still doing my head in!

Sorry for the late response. I have been taping all sorts of bits around and on the mirrors and doors but it has been difficult to reach a definite conclusion. The problem is that I am not driving on the motorway as often and also when ever I tape something I dont keep it on for too long because I don't want to damage the paint. There is an improvement for sure when I put some tape around the area where the two parts of the mirror meet and also around the rubber triangle that connects the mirror to the car. At motorway speeds the wind noise is improved however at lower speeds I still hear occasional wind gusts through the top of the window right next to my ears - really annoying. How can Audi get this wrong?! I think we all need to make a complain to Audi UK!

I have searched on many forums, its seems that the A5 and the TT have similar problems but they are of different setups. However I am tempted to try the foam solution which I found here or even the vinyl tubing solution, see here.

I dont see myself being able to do anything in the next 2 weeks or so but I would love to hear people's comments are and whether anyone has tried to do something about it.