1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 whine after having cambelt and waterpump replaced.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by its_neil, May 5, 2010.

1. its_neil

its_neil Member

Hey guys,

about a month ago my original waterpump packed in and since I bought it from a garage a couple of weeks prior they fixed it at no charge to myself (and did the cambelt too).

I noticed that I have a high pitched whining noise that's quite audible from outside the car (less so inside) but thought I'd give it a couple of weeks to clear before going back to the garage.

I still have it, it sounds like a supercharger kinda noise so if you idle and blip the throttle you can hear it rising and falling with the revs. I initially thought it was the secondary air pump but after a long drive (120 miles) you could still hear it at the destination.

I'm thinking that the bearings in the waterpump are faulty or could it be something else? I'm going to take it back to the garage but I like to go armed with some information beforehand to save them ripping the thing to bits and me having to take the bus everywhere...

Cheers.
  2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Its the serpentine belt tensioner I reckon... there is a metal bracket that needs to be sandwiched between it and the alternator bracket... done this before and fitted the braket on the outside which meant the tensioner wasn't aligned and made the same noise...

<tuffty/>
  3. its_neil

its_neil Member

Quick fix on the drive or back to the garage you think?
  4. Jay

Jay Member

I had the same noise on mine after getting the timing belt and waterpump changed. Thought it was normal and has been driving fine for over 8 months now

Can it do any damage if left as it is?

Interested in how you get on with this.
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Personally I would take it back to the garage... they put it back together wrong and if its damaged the tensioner or belt etc then they should be sorting that out tbh...

Its not difficult to do yourself if that is the problem though if that is what's causing the prob... should be obvious as looking at the tensioner/belt from the top you should be able to see the tensioner is square on the belt, if not then its prob not been refitted properly...

<tuffty/>
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

i agree with tufty

they should have done it right to start with